Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Time to go?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I have a 2.0d X3 and the engine is a peach absolutely love it, plenty of poke when you need it and auto changes silky smooth - you will love it. Ignore the moaning about not being able to move in snow or ice - in 6 years of ownership I have never had any issues and anyway you can only go as fast as the vehicle in front so if they aint driving a FL2 then you are stuffed anyway Thumbs Up

Have you considered the X3? Basically the same as the 3 series touring but giving you a higher driving position and more space, prices are reasonable now that the mk3 came out a year or so ago. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #374382 1st Jul 2019 8:46 am
j77

Scotland 

Tigger wrote:
@J77: Volvo are certainly making some very handsome cars at the minute (XC40 excluded, obviously!) Thumbs Up The XC60 and the V90 are especially nice. Volvo seats seam even more brilliant than ever, even if the ergonomics aren't such a strong a point as they used to be.

At the moment they are the only manufacturer that could tempt me away from LR, but I’ve yet to hit rock bottom with LR, I’ve been close mind, I like the XC40, the pillars are a bit large but no big issue for me, but I think it would be the XC90 for me. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #374387 1st Jul 2019 9:11 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Keep 'em coming - I used to be indecisive now I'm not so sure Whistle

Great Responses - thanks Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #374389 1st Jul 2019 9:33 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

personally I wouldn't go for anything Japanese or even probably Korean.

I had a Mazda CX-5 - on paper a very similar car to the FL2, but cheaper to run by along shot. Most uninspiring boring drive ive ever had. and the tech was 1980's Sanyo and downright awful to look at and use

I had a Toyota CHR for a day as loan car, 1.8 Hybrid... amazing to look IMO, incredible technology even if not that much more economical that a decent diesel SUV. but too many very cheap plastics and again the tech was very a la 1990. The CVT would take some major getting used to as well.

the Korean stuff (I like the look of the Kia Sportage GT Line) is apparently very very dull to drive (as shown on top gear last night) Ive never even sat in one though so its just hearsay until I do

The XC-40 is off great interest though, as is the XC60 Confused

Post #374390 1st Jul 2019 9:54 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

shilen wrote:
Ignore the moaning about not being able to move in snow or ice

...if you’re only too happy to stay tucked up inside when the snow settles Wink

The next time I gently cruise past “X-Drive” BMW’s, that are completely stuck in the snow on Bodmin Moor, I’ll be thinking of you Thumbs Up

It’s easy to tell the “X-Drives” from a safe distance, they’re the ones with all four wheels spinning, rather than just the two! Laughing

Last edited by Tigger on 1st Jul 2019 10:36 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #374391 1st Jul 2019 10:13 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

j77 wrote:
Tigger wrote:
@J77: Volvo are certainly making some very handsome cars at the minute (XC40 excluded, obviously!) Thumbs Up The XC60 and the V90 are especially nice. Volvo seats seam even more brilliant than ever, even if the ergonomics aren't such a strong a point as they used to be.

At the moment they are the only manufacturer that could tempt me away from LR, but I’ve yet to hit rock bottom with LR, I’ve been close mind, I like the XC40, the pillars are a bit large but no big issue for me, but I think it would be the XC90 for me.

The XC40 is quite nice, but those awful pillars remind me of a car derived van! I’d consider one, but only if I could get the VAT back! Rolling Eyes

The real downer with Volvo, just as with Audi, is the wretched 60,000 mile limit on the warranty in year 3 Sad High mileage drivers need to look elsewhere Big Cry

Post #374392 1st Jul 2019 10:18 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Tigger wrote:
shilen wrote:
Ignore the moaning about not being able to move in snow or ice

...if you’re only too happy to stay tucked up inside when the snow settles Wink

The next time I gently cruise past “X-Drive” BMW’s, that are completely stuck in the snow on Bodmin Moor, I’ll be thinking of you Thumbs Up

It’s easy to tell the “X-Drives” from a safe distance, they’re the ones with all four wheels spinning, rather than just the two! Laughing

If I went back to an estate car I dont think Id bother with the extra weight, complexity of AWD. I managed to drive around in all conditions in my old remapped 330D (300BHP/620nm) - just replaced the awful runflats with a set on medium priced WINTER tyres.

Here's an old video I made years ago as proof Smile &feature=youtu.be Jules

Post #374397 1st Jul 2019 12:51 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Test Drive done - beautiful car great positive drive BUT SWMBO (and me if I'm absolutely honest) found it difficult to get in and out of - so it's not the car for me and the hunt goes on. No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #374400 1st Jul 2019 1:38 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

@ Jules: I’m told that winter tyres are incredibly effective Very Happy I’ve only ever used All Seasons, but with off road oriented four wheel drive, the Fatty drove up 3-400 yds of 1:5, complete with 4” of virgin snow, without a single slip.

Anyway, I was only trying to make the point that not all 4x4 are equal; BMW’s is a road oriented system, built with fine road biased handling in mind; LR’s system is the polar opposite. Both systems are equally valid, but one is no substitute for the other Thumbs Up

Post #374401 1st Jul 2019 1:40 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

westville wrote:
Test Drive done - beautiful car great positive drive BUT SWMBO (and me if I'm absolutely honest) found it difficult to get in and out of - so it's not the car for me and the hunt goes on.

so why the X3 then?? Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #374405 1st Jul 2019 3:16 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Shilen’s definitely got a point Thumbs Up

If you can live with the image and need the “walk in capability” of a real 4x4, but don’t need the capabilities of a Land Rover and can live with the ride, the X3 makes a very strong case for itself Thumbs Up Make sure you get a test drive in one with low profiles and runflats for the full on experience Very Happy

Last edited by Tigger on 1st Jul 2019 5:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #374406 1st Jul 2019 3:58 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Tigger wrote:

Anyway, I was only trying to make the point that not all 4x4 are equal; BMW’s is a road oriented system, built with fine road biased handling in mind; LR’s system is the polar opposite. Both systems are equally valid, but one is no substitute for the other Thumbs Up

I Agree. The point I was really making that BMW X-Drive is a bit pointless in an estate car IMO, when winter tyres will achieve pretty everything you'd expect an estate car to be capable of in snow/ice etc. If you need more then you probably need a proper off-road 4WD. Jules

Post #374408 1st Jul 2019 4:20 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

My other half’s father has recently bought a brand new Skoda Karoq. A little smaller than the Kodiaq and I was very impressed with it.

The quality was stunning and it was a smooth refined ride with the 125bhp 1.5 TSi engine and DSG box. He had the SEL model which had more gizmos than anything at that price point in SUV land.

I’d certainly be interested in one if I was in the market Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #374425 1st Jul 2019 11:49 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

BMW is the most likely car to get stuck at our ski fields in Australia. The wrong tyres like this Range Rover.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #374426 2nd Jul 2019 7:59 am
Dartman the one

England 

But it is moving, so despite the tyres the software works, whereas apparently the BMW software doesn't Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #374434 2nd Jul 2019 10:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>