« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > iPhone feature
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
iPhone feature

I came across something interesting this weekend. I have an iPhone 6 and I was given an iPhone 5. So i set the 5 up by deleting everything, new SIM card and decided to assign it to my existing iTunes account. OK so far and all working OK until I get a phone call whereupon both phones started ringing. So we do an experiment and find if you ring either of the numbers then both phones ring (could be embarrassing if you secret lover calls perhaps). After a bit of research I discover that this is actually a feature and if the phones are on the same wifi network then they communicate with each other using Facetime and call each other up.
You can turn it off or better still use another iTunes account, but what sort of an idiot thought that this should be the default? With talk of vehicle unlocking via your phone the mind boggles. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377696 1st Sep 2019 8:47 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Don’t get me started on Apple Big Cry

Last edited by SYFL2 on 2nd Sep 2019 6:32 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #377697 1st Sep 2019 8:49 pm
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

iPhones can be troublesome and I often wonder how many "naughty" ones have been caught out by their partner. Trouble is if you link to one iTunes account then you can not only track where the other phone is but also you get each others photos!! I have three in my family all linked to one account as it is easier to manage, trouble I find is that despite making sure that all the phones do not share the numbers for facetime and messages etc, I still get my daughters works and friends calls showing on my phone, same for my wife. I find Apple a pain in the arse to be honest as downloading images etc via a PC never goes smooth as well as updating iTunes on my iPod, I now use an old iPod in the car as thats not full of fancy Apple software (too old to update) and it works a treat.

Apple charge a fortune then after a few years they stop updates to your stuff making them an expensive item as the apps wont work on older iPads and iPhones. But for some reason unlike Microsoft they are allowed to get away with it?????? 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #377708 2nd Sep 2019 5:22 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I think if you linked three Android phones to one account you’d get the same problems. Do all three of you share an email, bank and credit card account as well - using the same logic, surely those accounts will be easier to manage too? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #377713 2nd Sep 2019 7:02 am
Volrider

The only thing they share is the email and password for the iTunes account. 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #377714 2nd Sep 2019 7:08 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I dug into this issue and it seems that the iPhones communicate with each other using a Facetime option which you can easily switch off but why have it on by default? It makes you wonder what else these things are up to. I have noticed recently that if I park the car and walk off then a few minutes later I get a message saying that the location of my car is on recorded on Maps.

Apparently the police are now getting deluged with stuff to go through as a lot of criminal evidence now involve CCTV, laptops and phones which can take days to trawl though and if it's going to be used in evidence a police officer has to be present. What a waste of resources. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377727 2nd Sep 2019 9:54 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I've just added a second phone to my account and I was asked during the set-up whether or not I wanted it added to the list of phones which communicate with one another. So for me the default was to ask.

Post #377730 2nd Sep 2019 10:56 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Volrider wrote:
iPhones can be troublesome and I often wonder how many "naughty" ones have been caught out by their partner. Trouble is if you link to one iTunes account then you can not only track where the other phone is but also you get each others photos!! I have three in my family all linked to one account as it is easier to manage, trouble I find is that despite making sure that all the phones do not share the numbers for facetime and messages etc, I still get my daughters works and friends calls showing on my phone, same for my wife. I find Apple a pain in the arse to be honest as downloading images etc via a PC never goes smooth as well as updating iTunes on my iPod, I now use an old iPod in the car as thats not full of fancy Apple software (too old to update) and it works a treat.

Apple charge a fortune then after a few years they stop updates to your stuff making them an expensive item as the apps wont work on older iPads and iPhones. But for some reason unlike Microsoft they are allowed to get away with it??????

Why not use family sharing? Works fine here. To the OP did you sign out of iCloud and set up as a new phone? We pass old phones around the family habitually and have never had this issue D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #377731 2nd Sep 2019 10:59 am
Volrider

How does family sharing work and what advantages does it have? 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #377733 2nd Sep 2019 11:28 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

You nominate the lead person, in my case me! My wife, daughter, son who doesn't live at home anymore and my sister (don't ask) are all party to the share. My daughter needs authorisation from me to buy anything, everyone else has their own payment methods. iCloud storage can be shared amongst us all, any app or music purchases made can be shared. Everyone has their own iCloud account but they are linked to make admin easier, I combine it with a family Apple Music subscription and have some calendars shared and others not. When we first had phones we used one iTunes account for my wife and I and that was a pain. The downsides I guess I can see where every device is, but we all use Find My Friends anyway.

https://www.apple.com/uk/family-sharing/ D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #377739 2nd Sep 2019 12:36 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

pelyma wrote:
Why not use family sharing? Works fine here. To the OP did you sign out of iCloud and set up as a new phone? We pass old phones around the family habitually and have never had this issue

Thumbs Up here also.....presently using my DiL’s old 6......been passed to her hubby first, then Mrs BB and now me......I always get the good stuff Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377757 2nd Sep 2019 5:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1