« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Persistent Flat Battery Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
read the small print , drain will be higher if you are caravaner Evil or Very Mad

Pity the drain isnt at roof level so they all drown. Laughing

Post #135842 12th Mar 2012 4:17 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Keep it on topic please chaps Thumbs Up

Post #135849 12th Mar 2012 4:38 pm
ad210358

England 

I had a flat battery over the weekend, surprising how much drain there is on the electrics, it started ok in the morning, drove for thirty minutes, stopped it, put the ignition on whilst I was messing about with the Freely, after an hour wanted to start it but all I had was click click click when trying to start it.

Post #135850 12th Mar 2012 4:41 pm
CumbrianCanary

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

EYorkshire wrote:
Quote:
Would should the drain be when everything is shut down, anyone know?

Hope you can read it Thumbs Up

Certainly looks like I have an issue. It is in to be checked on this week, so will see if they can find anything.

Post #135851 12th Mar 2012 4:52 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I simply refuse to believe this one click two click shutdown nonsense that people keep talking about... If I don't want to lock my car I expect it to still start after weeks not days... Simples - anything else is unacceptable

I think the above chart (not sure where that is from but I like it) should put it all to bed when ever anyone else has a battery problem and they starclaim glue locking, double locking, manual delay starting, turning the radio off etc etc Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #135865 12th Mar 2012 7:11 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

I remember a battery drain issue discussed in connection with some malfunctioning of Radio/CD-Player module, that didn't shut down properly and was a cause for flat battery Wink

Post #135878 12th Mar 2012 7:59 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

CumbrianCanary wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:
Quote:
Would should the drain be when everything is shut down, anyone know?

Hope you can read it Thumbs Up

Certainly looks like I have an issue. It is in to be checked on this week, so will see if they can find anything.

Well done to EY for posting this info Thumbs Up

The double lock method wont make any difference, it just shuts down quicker that's all, providing everthing is okay.
All vehicle ECU's are like this and most quiescent drain after shut is typically less than 30Ma as is FL2.
Something isn't shutting down as it should, i'm afraid it's a visit to your dealer, they should be able to monitor what is and what isn't in sleep mode.
1A is way too much.
Keep us posted please Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #135882 12th Mar 2012 8:03 pm
CumbrianCanary

Quote:

Well done to EY for posting this info Thumbs Up

The double lock method wont make any difference, it just shuts down quicker that's all, providing everthing is okay.
All vehicle ECU's are like this and most quiescent drain after shut is typically less than 30Ma as is FL2.
Something isn't shutting down as it should, i'm afraid it's a visit to your dealer, they should be able to monitor what is and what isn't in sleep mode.
1A is way too much.
Keep us posted please Thumbs Up

I suspected 1A was too much, but he only waited 5 mins, but something is certainly causing an issue. I will let you know what the dealer has to say at the end of the week.

I don't think it is good enough that a car so new can't be left for a week without the battery going flat.

Post #135918 12th Mar 2012 9:42 pm
Pegleg

You say he only waited 5 minutes.
How long had the igntion been off? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #135930 12th Mar 2012 10:07 pm
CumbrianCanary

Pegleg wrote:
You say he only waited 5 minutes.
How long had the igntion been off?

It was only 5 mins, so guess that wasn't a fair test if it takes 10 to shut down. Hopefully the dealer will do all the necessary tests on Friday and find out what is causing the problem.

Post #136122 14th Mar 2012 1:58 pm
Pegleg

Yes, you're right. It's not a fair test. Not all the electronics have had time to shut down. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #136132 14th Mar 2012 4:59 pm
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

alex_pescaru wrote:
LTB00391 - Flat battery for no apparent reasons
Date: 21 June 2011
VIN range: 000299 onwards
Cause: The Infotainment control module (ICM) does not shutdown correctly when exiting vehicle.
Action: Should a customer express concern, follow the service instructions below.
It's about updating the ICM's firmware.
Just had the new software update for "flat Battery Overnight" syndrome. Only happned four times in four years but still annoying. lets hope this fix cures it! Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #136279 15th Mar 2012 3:38 pm
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

PJW wrote:
alex_pescaru wrote:
LTB00391 - Flat battery for no apparent reasons
Date: 21 June 2011
VIN range: 000299 onwards
Cause: The Infotainment control module (ICM) does not shutdown correctly when exiting vehicle.
Action: Should a customer express concern, follow the service instructions below.
It's about updating the ICM's firmware.
Just had the new software update for "flat Battery Overnight" syndrome. Only happned four times in four years but still annoying. lets hope this fix cures it!

Just had a reply from Land Rover Customer Services Quote "With regard to the Technical Bulletin detailed in youre-mail, I can confirm that this specifically relates to Freelander 2 vehicles with high line audio only. Our records indicate that your vehicle is not fitted with such a system, therefore, is not applicable.

Seems I am likely to carry on getting an occasional flat battery.

Did some tests and found the following :- I had been monitoring the Battery Voltage with the vehicle switched off and locked and have found that when the voltage drain was excessive overnight simply switching the ignition on then off (Without starting the vehicle) cured the problem.

This would indicate that something on occasions was not shutting down properly when the vehicle was exited, just as your technical bulleting stated. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #136520 16th Mar 2012 11:31 pm
toby

United Kingdom 

I've had this issue on 3 occasions and on the 2nd time my car was taken into the LR dealer by LRA to be checked, and no electrical drainage problem was found.

When it happened for a 3rd time the LRA technician immediately asked me if I used the bluetooth handsfree last time I used the car, and if I turned the engine off before ending the call - which I had.

This was the cause of the problem in his opinion, and said he had come across it several times. Apparently if you turn off the engine before ending a call the Bluetooth Handsfree module doesn't get a shutdown message and as such slowly drains the battery.

I now ensure I always keep the engine on until I have finished my phone call, and to date the issue hasn't repeated itself again.

Toby.

Post #136711 18th Mar 2012 7:56 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

[quote="CumbrianCanary"]

Quote:

I don't think it is good enough that a car so new can't be left for a week without the battery going flat.

I knew someone with a Merc whose battery kept going flat when he was away for a week or so, he found out what it was one day when he was outside and a neighbour walked by and asked if he had fixed that sodding alarm that kept going off at all hours!!

Post #136721 18th Mar 2012 9:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>