« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Persistent Flat Battery Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
nicka

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Hi,

after a year of trouble free motoring my battery drained flat over a 2/3 day period, with errors on hdc etc showing on display with last flicker of life.

Landrover assist replaced the alarm sounder, which he said was a reasonably common problem and that a mk2 version had been issued out.

Who knows if it was the issue, but certainly no repeat in the last 3 months or so.

N Lago Grey Ebony HSE auto, 19" alloys, privacy glass

Post #74110 16th Aug 2010 9:29 pm
jimbojay

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

It may be worth for those of you that have them, checking the towing electrics relay, this was where my flat batteries stemmed from, the connection would come loose, and would somehow drain the battery, a couple of times i knew it would happen as the rear parking sensors would go a bit awry and it was the relay thinking that something was connected!!!!
And yes CG i am still alive!!! Set low standards and constantly fail to achieve them!!!!!!!!!!!
Sleep Deprivation Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #74199 18th Aug 2010 8:42 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

It might be worth checking the boot opener switches as one of the RRSport lads fun it had corroded and due to this it was drawing a small current Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #74201 18th Aug 2010 9:32 am
fotoboom

Netherlands 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Baltic Blue
Re: Persistent Flat Battery Problem

QPRCambs wrote:
I had a 2007 Freelander 2 SE for two years and 40,000 miles and during that time it would not start on three occasions due to a flat battery. I traded it in for an HSE model in October 2009 and since then that has done the same trick three times!! The garage does not have a clue and in a way I don't blame them - something is clearly discharging the battery overnight and by the time I have turned the car on any clue to the discharge has disappeared. On two of the occasions with the current vehicle I was in situations where the failure was very inconvenient, although in one case I jump started it and in the other LRA were out within half an hour. I now carry a £120 jump start pack around with me - a strange accessory for a £30k new car!!

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any clues or comments before I summon the courage to do battle with the garage (again)? Any help much appreciated.
 Have a nice day

Post #75382 7th Sep 2010 9:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fotoboom

Re: Persistent Flat Battery Problem

fotoboom wrote:
QPRCambs wrote:
I had a 2007 Freelander 2 SE for two years and 40,000 miles and during that time it would not start on three occasions due to a flat battery. I traded it in for an HSE model in October 2009 and since then that has done the same trick three times!! The garage does not have a clue and in a way I don't blame them - something is clearly discharging the battery overnight and by the time I have turned the car on any clue to the discharge has disappeared. On two of the occasions with the current vehicle I was in situations where the failure was very inconvenient, although in one case I jump started it and in the other LRA were out within half an hour. I now carry a £120 jump start pack around with me - a strange accessory for a £30k new car!!

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any clues or comments before I summon the courage to do battle with the garage (again)? Any help much appreciated.

Same problem with my 2 year old FR2 , since 3 times flat battery in the morning, only 2 days not driven, what's the problem , I don't know , battery is checked by prof. test equipment and also if there is something (eating) lamp-lighter-ect, but no nothing too mesure, now I go to my dealer, I buy a jump starter, but that's going back in in 1920 . Have a nice day

Post #75383 7th Sep 2010 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fotoboom

Flat battery

Same problem with my 2 year old FR2, 3 times now in the morning flat battery, measure by prof.testing equipment was giving no problem, what's going on Landrover?, I just buy a jumpstarter but that's going back in 1920, too much electronics, hope the Landrover factory will come with solutions, otherwise next time no more Landrover for me.
Thank all , Henk Have a nice day

Post #75385 7th Sep 2010 9:39 am
mabo

Italy 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red
Flat Battery

Add me to the group of those who (just) experienced a flat battery problem.

Here are some clues.

This is the first time since I bought my car (new) 3 years ago
I never lock the doors when she rests in the garage
I haven't been driving it for a week when the problem happened
Temperature was 18°
Fuel indicator was faulty and was serviced one month before the flat battery problem

Hope this helps...

Post #77957 8th Oct 2010 3:21 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

And Another! - I have an early 07 FL2 and went through all the early software problems of erratic auto lights, wipers, alarm sounders, non starts and resets etc BUT have had 2 years or so with no problems at all - until last week when I noticed that the fuel gauge was reading just under half for an inordinant distance - in fact the predicted fuel range plus the trip reading estimated over 750 miles until refuelling! I filled it up at around 550 miles as normal and it took 62 litres as normal (despite the gauge still saying nearly half a tank). This rang alarm bells, but the gauge read full after filling up, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt and vowed to monitor the situation. Then I realised that the Auto lights seemed to be on rather too much - but then recalled that they often do at this time of year with low sun (just an observation, backed up by looking at other premium brand cars who seem to do the same). Then, on Sunday morning the battery was flat - prestart checks ok, then just a sad click when it tried to turn the engine over. The day before it had been perfect, and had covered 20+ miles in daylight running). A careful jump start from a Golf (the indignity of it!) saw it crack up first time, ran it for 10 minutes or so, then left it until this morning when it started with no problem. I have checked out the shutdown sequence by connecting an ammeter into the battery live cable and it takes about 3 - 4 minutes for the current draw to drop to below 0.1 amp. It is over 4 amps for a period after locking!
I think that the shutdown sequence must have failed to initiate and so the current draw remained. 4 Amps or so for 20 hours equals a pretty flat battery. The fact that it recharged within a few minutes of running, storing enough to start a cold engine the next morning suggest that the battery is still ok.
I am monitoring the car closely now and carrying jump leads! Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #78099 11th Oct 2010 12:05 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

And another......

Mrs Dave's FL2 was stood for 2 weeks whilst on hols, came back and car wouldn't start which was strange because the car unlocked ok, headlights were nice and bright, all other electrics worked but battery voltage was down to just under 12 volts. Jump started it ok and its been fine ever since. Confused ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #78106 11th Oct 2010 1:30 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

After nearly 3-years ownership, never had a flat/dead battery yet Thumbs Up

However having said that and with winter on its way Rolling Eyes (time will tell) Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #78109 11th Oct 2010 1:54 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

D*@* here's another. Parked my 07 outside on Monday, battery flat on Thursday. LR Assist sent an AA man, who jump started it but could find nothing wrong. He reckoned the alarm must have been set off by passing buses and drained the battery - not likely. I did notice that the auto lights and auto wipers were in the on position, so I'm checking they're off in future, just in case. And I don't have satnav fitted so it's not that. Worrying, isn't it. I noticed that the trip mileage reset itself afterwards. Can it have been that dead?

Post #78513 16th Oct 2010 4:32 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Yet another discharged battery. The first indication was getting in to the car, a 3 year old GS manual diesel that I've just acquired, and getting various warnings, (HDC, ABS etc.) and no starter. After half a day on trickle charge, all the warnings have gone and the car started as normal. A quick check of the volts at the battery showed that the alternator is working. I noticed that the trip computer had reset to zero but the radio had kept it's programming.
The car has no GPS or fancy accessories, just the basic radio, but I had a tow bar (for a bike rack that I swap between cars, before anyone mentions the c word) and electrics fitted by the dealer I bought the car from. I was told it was a Land Rover kit so I'll check on the relay, when I can find it.

Post #78587 17th Oct 2010 9:45 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

On reflection, I think it must be down to the ecu not powering down when parked. I wonder if I was a bit careless when locking it and only pressed the key once. I'll be extra careful to double lock in future. It's still a real annoyance though. Mine is just the same spec and symptoms as the post above.

Post #78592 17th Oct 2010 10:16 pm
bakker911

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Count me in.

Same problem here with my HSE '07. Had have a flat battery 3 times now.
I'm wondering if it is not caused by the radio system or the bluetooth device. Because on two occasions i can remember that i was using the phone quite al long time and shut down the motor while using GSM (still works after shutting down the motor), maybee it continues after the shut down?
I think i'm going to try to shut down automatic lights, the radiosystem, an make sure to not use the phone while the engine stops.
Although, i have read that some people don't have the bluetooth and still have the same problem.
So my guess is that it could have something to do with the radio system.
And by the way, it is always locked two times.

Kind regards to all

Post #83481 8th Dec 2010 10:27 am
CincyLR2

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

bakker911 wrote:
Count me in.

Same problem here with my HSE '07. Had have a flat battery 3 times now.
I'm wondering if it is not caused by the radio system or the bluetooth device. Because on two occasions i can remember that i was using the phone quite al long time and shut down the motor while using GSM (still works after shutting down the motor), maybee it continues after the shut down?
I think i'm going to try to shut down automatic lights, the radiosystem, an make sure to not use the phone while the engine stops.
Although, i have read that some people don't have the bluetooth and still have the same problem.
So my guess is that it could have something to do with the radio system.
And by the way, it is always locked two times.

Kind regards to all

The one time I had a dead battery I had been using the bluetooth phone device after I shut the motor off. Didn't turn off the phone after the call ended. I now always make sure to turn it off by pulling the red off/end button on the steering wheel. I also make sure the radio is back to displaying the AM, FM, or SAT and not displaying my phone info. Have not had a problem since.

Thing is I had to figure this out on my own. The dealer was of no help. Though I love my LR2, it is quirky design things like this that make me wonder about Land Rover engineering. Wouldn't it have been simple enough to design it to automatically shut off the bluetooth after, say, five minutes of inactivity?

Post #83519 8th Dec 2010 3:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>