Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Persistent Flat Battery Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

The whistle, buzz, high pitched noise, etc. was discussed before here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5990.html
And no, this isn't the reason the batteries are going flat sometimes... Laughing

Post #87520 11th Jan 2011 3:21 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Bow down I stand very much corrected Embarassed Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #87528 11th Jan 2011 4:00 pm
bakker911

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I had just recieved a letter from Land Rover Benelux concerning a recal action.
There seems to be a problem with the airconditioning which can cause a FLAT BATTERY!!!
It says that there can come condensation of the airco on an electric circuit which causes a short-circuit with a flat battery as a result.

The other problem concerned the sunroof which can come loose (thought it was already resolved before....)

Both problems wil be repaired free of charge.

Post #95343 15th Mar 2011 7:22 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

egipp wrote:
I had a flat battery after the car was left in the garage for 5 days without using. The RACV mechanic who came out and started the car without any problems via a second battery, said it was a common problem with modern cars that have electronic components running even when the car is switched off and the keys removed. He likened it to switching the TV via the remote, it shuts down but is still drawing a small current from the power because it's in standby mode. The answer - later confirmed by Land Rover - is to always lock the car with the remote even if it's sitting, as mine was, in a locked garage. Land Rover also said that if the car is left locked for an extended period, say 3 plus weeks, it will shut down completely and not respond to the remote. In those circumstances you need to unlock the car with the metal standby key, via the the front passenger door, and then insert the remote key as usual when everything will wake up again. So, not a fault as such, and certainly not restricted to Land Rovers, which came as a relief.

THANKS Thumbs Up

This helped me when a mate was going to collect me in my Freelander from the airport after being away for 2 months. He said the key fob or the car battery was flat because the car was not responding to the fob asking it to unlock. A few searches later found this solution and it worked, thank God!
One to remember as I don't recall reading about this in the manual.

Post #108117 19th Jul 2011 4:15 pm
Acemson

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black

This has just happened to me! So annoying. Could it possibly be draining through the auxiliary outputs for the cigarette lighter and accessory charger units? This is the only thing I can think of as we locked the car last night and it was drained by this morning.....

Post #111712 31st Aug 2011 8:10 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Acemson wrote:
This has just happened to me! So annoying. Could it possibly be draining through the auxiliary outputs for the cigarette lighter and accessory charger units? This is the only thing I can think of as we locked the car last night and it was drained by this morning.....

I would say it is a strong possibility - it isn't really much different to leaving an internal light on.

JUst that some of these 'accessory chargers' can use more current than a lamp as they are small transformers and just never give up doing their job (even when the accessories aren't plugged in) 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #111714 31st Aug 2011 8:28 pm
alex_pescaru

LTB00391 - Flat battery for no apparent reasons
Date: 21 June 2011
VIN range: 000299 onwards
Cause: The Infotainment control module (ICM) does not shutdown correctly when exiting vehicle.
Action: Should a customer express concern, follow the service instructions below.
It's about updating the ICM's firmware.

Post #111721 31st Aug 2011 9:00 pm
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Having read every post in this thread I want to throw my experiences into the hat. I’ve only had my 57 HSE a few weeks, approved used, 24k miles FSH. Yesterday (having left it stood for perhaps 5 days, double locked) I went out in it, started fine, went to the post office (3 minutes away) jumped back in. Put the key in and quite quickly pressed the start button (I was in a hurry). It fired for a second then shut down, then I just couldn’t get it going, I don’t think I gave the dashboard enough time to even tell me “system check in progress” and it wouldn’t release the keys. I think the dash showed HDC error or some other 3 letter code but as I was panicking a bit I can’t remember what the code was.

After scratching my head radio still on, keys stuck in, ignition seemingly on, the radio display changed to “low battery”
I immediately suspected a drain, but it started 5 minutes earlier with no issues or prolonged crank, so am a bit perplexed. Damp maybe? I dunno.
It is warrantied so rang recovery who said my vehicle wasn’t on their system so they refused point blank to come out Shocked (good of them seeing as I bought it from a dealer with a 2 year extended warranty- but thats another story, hopefully sorting that today)

One minute later the key released on a push and I tried it again and let it do its checks this time, then it started without issue.

Mine has the under bonnet whistle, not sure if it shuts down or not I haven’t stood around long enough, but I do remember having a problem with my FL1 with drain problems.
That left me stranded at home 3 times, same AA man turned up each time but he knew his stuff, tested it for drain each time finding nothing and the 3 rd time he put a new battery on for me, the 4 th time it showed a drain after shutdown and went in to Land rover who kept it for 2 days attempting to replicate the issue. Fortunately for me it did indeed drain on the second day and they changed the alarm ECU and it had a full new ignition fitted with 2 brand new fobs. so an alarm related issue was suspected. No probs after that. £700 worth (all warranty BTW).
My point? Electrical problems are a nightmare and notoriously difficult to pinpoint, especially intermittent ones. If your chosen dealer is lucky or experienced enough to find a solution they should share or publish their experiences so we don’t have to make suggestions from forums to help them out, but I bet they don’t. “They all do that” is a total cop out and I wouldn’t be happy with that. Anyway I have read somewhere on here that a solar powered trickle charger is an option worth considering for seldom used cars. I wonder if you can leave them plugged in 24/7??? I may consider one of these but I’m damned if I’m ever going to carry a bulky booster. You simply shouldn’t have to... 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Post #112578 9th Sep 2011 11:42 am
CumbrianCanary

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Flat Battery

I was a way all of last week and when I came to start my Freelander2 it was dead, couldn’t even open the doors. The car is only 8 months old. This is the second time that this has happened to be in a Freelander, my previous one did exactly the same after a week.

The Landrover Recovery guy (AA man!) said both times that something hasn’t shut down properly and has drained the battery.

Have I just been unlucky or is this an issue with the electronics? Anyone else had the same problem? It concerns me that if I leave it without using it for a few days it won’t start. I would hope that a car that is less than a year old wouldn’t do this.

Post #135820 12th Mar 2012 2:51 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I recall reading discussions about 'double locking' shutting everything down and such things as the 'bluetooth' link not dropping on a mobile, within range, left in the house. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #135822 12th Mar 2012 2:56 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

simont wrote:
I recall reading discussions about 'double locking' shutting everything down and such things as the 'bluetooth' link not dropping on a mobile, within range, left in the house.

True - double locking will force a shut down of everything.

Post #135826 12th Mar 2012 2:59 pm
CumbrianCanary

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

rchrdleigh wrote:
simont wrote:
I recall reading discussions about 'double locking' shutting everything down and such things as the 'bluetooth' link not dropping on a mobile, within range, left in the house.

True - double locking will force a shut down of everything.

I was miles away from the car, so Bluetooth shouldn't be an issue and I also always double lock it. The AA did a drain check and after about 5 mins is was still about 1 A, but he siad it should drop after that but could take 20-30 mins. Would should the drain be when everything is shut down, anyone know?

Post #135829 12th Mar 2012 3:05 pm
IanH

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I think you must have a problem - something is causing a 'drain'. My '11 GS stood for nearly a month (27 days to be exact) over the Xmas/New Year period in my garage (only single lock) and staretd first time on my return

Post #135831 12th Mar 2012 3:20 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
Would should the drain be when everything is shut down, anyone know?

Hope you can read it Thumbs Up

Post #135834 12th Mar 2012 3:35 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

read the small print , drain will be higher if you are caravaner Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #135836 12th Mar 2012 3:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>