Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Persistent Flat Battery Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

^^ also experienced the flat battery ghost after shutdown of engine before ending the blutooth call.. FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #83593 8th Dec 2010 11:30 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi Athelstan

you are on the right track here Thumbs Up Only when locking the car will the various electronic components be forced to shut down (with the exception of the alarm) Wink

However if there is a software glitch than that will have to be sorted out with a firmware update.

I still maintain, that the battery should be fully charged every 6 weeks in winter. That way one is assured that all systems function properly. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Last edited by DiscoGeorge on 9th Dec 2010 6:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #83673 9th Dec 2010 6:04 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi guys

when faced with a flat battery situation, the jump start option you should use only as a last resort, as damage can be done to the cars computer and electronics systems.

Once the car has been coaxed back to life, the battery MUST be fully charged with a decent charger, such as CTEK. Recommended models are the XS4003 and XS7000.

Failure to charge such battery will let it stay below 50% charge, in which case it will now go into accelerated sulphation phase and:

YOU WILL GET STUCK AGAIN!!! With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #83674 9th Dec 2010 6:12 pm
bigedd

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have an HSE Dec 2006. The battery has been flat 4 times now about once a year, always in the cold weather, always been on a long run the day before. Allways double locked but the lights and wipers are always left on auto. if the lights and wipers are a problem why does the battery not go flat when the car is left for long periods. The dealer does not have a clue and land rover have just told me the problem is not regular enough for them to be interested in it. One thing the dealer did say to me was sell the car, but hardly fair on the new purchaser.
One day someone will have the answer I hope!!! PS I do have a dealer fitted tow bar, I might try disconnecting this.

Post #84803 20th Dec 2010 12:17 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

bigedd wrote:
I have an HSE Dec 2006. The battery has been flat 4 times now about once a year, always in the cold weather, always been on a long run the day before. Allways double locked but the lights and wipers are always left on auto. if the lights and wipers are a problem why does the battery not go flat when the car is left for long periods. The dealer does not have a clue and land rover have just told me the problem is not regular enough for them to be interested in it. One thing the dealer did say to me was sell the car, but hardly fair on the new purchaser.
One day someone will have the answer I hope!!! PS I do have a dealer fitted tow bar, I might try disconnecting this.

Hi bigedd

even so that there were attempts to shoot me down in flames when I posted my first contribution concerning the battery saga, your situation IS NO ISOLATED INCIDENT!!!

it is quite common across ALL MANUFACTURERS.

There is only one bullet proof cure for this. Get yourself a CTEK charger either the 4003 but preferrably the XS7000 and charge your cars battery every 4 weeks in winter and every 6 weeks in Summer and your whoes will be a thing of the past - GUARANTEED! Thumbs Up With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #84809 20th Dec 2010 6:58 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Yawn its nothing to do with charging, there is another fault that is draining the battery or stopping its capacity.
Modern cars run fine without a top up charge, I would be outraged if Mine needed topping up. maybe it is possible to add more charge to the battery but why bother? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #84822 20th Dec 2010 9:35 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

chicken george wrote:
Yawn its nothing to do with charging, there is another fault that is draining the battery or stopping its capacity.
Modern cars run fine without a top up charge, I would be outraged if Mine needed topping up. maybe it is possible to add more charge to the battery but why bother?

^
CG

you need to do some background reading and then we can discuss this topic further. As I had written earlier about this topic there are a lot of drivers around with rudimentory or partially informed knowledge at best. Those are normally the the ones who make the most noise and blame everything and everybody when their mode of transport brakes down.

I hear these type of statements every day and quite frankly they leave me stone cold. But you are doing nobody a favour, because it only leads to confusion amongst those who need qualified information the most! Big Cry With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #84844 20th Dec 2010 3:04 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
Modern cars run fine without a top up charge, I would be outraged if Mine needed topping up. maybe it is possible to add more charge to the battery but why bother?

Cant agree more with CG (for once) Thumbs Up
When and if it dies, slap a new one in Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #84846 20th Dec 2010 3:16 pm
EYorkshire

^ +1 Thumbs Up

It doesn't matter to me if it's got 12.6v or 12.3v, I've had my fill of lifting the b Censored y bonnet in the old days when it was the only way to keep it running and I had no money to repair it. Now I don't want to know and I can afford to throw another in if it gives trouble, hell, my last car ran for 5 years on the original battery without even looking at it so if it lasts 3 years then it's still good.

You seem to think that all LR problems are battery related but electronics have such a wide operating voltage range, if someones battery is regularly going flat then that someone must look for a different underlying problem otherwise we would all be moaning on here about the same thing.

Post #84851 20th Dec 2010 3:34 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I tend to agree with CG on this as well... Shocked . how is it that many other people out there (me included) can have a car that is used as the daily drive and not have to top up the battery in winter? Even when I ran the battery out in my Verso cus the kids left the interior light on for 2 days, once I jump started it and ran it round the block, it was fine and had been since I got rid.

I am not disputing the science behind a battery and the fact that if they become unconditioned or a poor state of charge they are going to cause a problem, I also do not dispute that the symptoms described on this thread might be fixable with a good charge by a decent trickle charger but I find it hard to believe that a healthy battery in a modern car should ever need topping up assuming that it get used fairly regularly. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #84857 20th Dec 2010 4:03 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

If Mr George was 100% correct we could all have 1/2 sized batteries , I prefer a bigger battery not 100% charged so I dont have to keep plugging the car in. Imagine being late somewhere because you forgot to plug the car in the night before, not good Neutral

I do get the point about 100% charge but Im sure LR also knew this when they chose the battery size for the fl2. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #84858 20th Dec 2010 4:09 pm
bakker911

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Just a quick update: since i always turn my radio system of while my engine is still running, i have had no problems anymore...
And i am no nuclear sceintist, but we have 4 company cars and there is only one with this kind of flat battery problem. So i think it has something to do with our freelanders, and not because it's a modern car...

Post #86547 5th Jan 2011 12:04 pm
emptyend

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Identical symptoms - but I suspect the rear parking aid

I've had precisely the same flat battery problems on my 2007 HSE, which has now gone flat a total of about 8 times. Mostly this is when left in the garage for 2 weeks or so, but it has also happened after a long run to the airport where it was left for two weeks. And most recently it happened only a week after last use and shortly after the battery was tested during a dealer service.

One curious coincidence I have noticed on at least two of the occasions when it has gone flat is a malfunction of the rear parking sensors (possibly caused by damp pentration) - as soon as I engage reverse gear the rear parking sensors gave a constant warning tone, despite nothing being in the vicinity of the rear sensors. This stopped as soon as I came out of reverse - but the battery went flat in the period following this. On every occasion when it has gone flat, the car has been reversed shortly before being left....so I am wondering if this is somehow connected to the problem?

As with other users, the local dealer has no idea what the cause is and Landrover HQ appear to be quite unhelpful on resolving the problem. Presumably they have something to hide? The battery has been tested on several occasions and apparently is in perfect working order. Also the nromal drain on the system (when locked normally) is at acceptable design levels.

I've had no problem whatsoever with either a Freelander 1 or previous Shoguns, all of which were used in a similar way.....so I conclude that the problem is quite specific to the Freelander 2 - and I am starting to get really really annoyed with the lack of progress in resolving the issue (and particularly the lack of interest/guidance being provided by Landrover to their dealers!). The battery was flat when we bought the car (as an ex-demo) but then it had been stood on the forecourt for a while, so that wasn't an implausible explanation. However, the subsequent problems have convinced me that something with the car has been defective from the outset - and I would REALLY like to get to the bottom of what it is!

I've bought a set of jump leads but, as someone else said, that really shouldn't be necessary on a £30,000 car! In addition, there is the problem that I park next to a garage wall on the passenger side (as I need to get in and out on the driver's side!) - which makes it physically impossible to gain access using the key....which seems to me to be an annoying and avoidable design flaw which is detrimental in RHD markets.

I suspect that I will be forced to take the problem to the motoring press and give Landrover a kick up the rear with some publicity!

Post #87487 11th Jan 2011 12:01 pm
emptyend

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
...ps....

Someone else noted something that I have also noticed:

Quote:
when you lock the car with the fob, first click, there is a slight whistle from under the bonnet that stops with the second click on the fob. one time it continued even after second click, so unlocked and locked again and noise had stopped.

I'm not sure what the whistling noise is, and it may be entirely unrelated, but I also get this from time to time after the car has been locked. The source is somwhere slightly on the near side of centre at the front of the engine compartment.

Post #87490 11th Jan 2011 12:16 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

The whistle I think is the motor that controls the flaps on the front of the engine bay... not entirely sure what the flaps do (something todo with cooling I presume) but when the engine is stopped, they are left open for a few seconds and then left to close (this is the plasticy clunk when the whistle finishes) I have heard of some people say that the whistle does not stop suggesting that something somewhere is keeping these flaps open causing batteries to go flat Shocked Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #87500 11th Jan 2011 1:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>