Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Mayor Khan kills off FL2’s in London..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Well unfortunately not everyone have the finances to put deposits on incredibly expensive cars.. and as we know electric cars are certainly not as green as they claim to be…

This has absolutely nothing to do with emissions.. this is his attempt to try and keep his TFL from total bankruptcy…

I’ve asked the Mayors Office several times where all the charges and penalties are being spent as it’s run into £100s of millions. Yet to receive any response

Post #428863 17th Jan 2023 9:59 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

NoDo$h wrote:
Sidthecat wrote:
Khan has been accused today of ‘manipulating’ the consultation results. Seems he was made aware in October that the majority was against expansion proposals so he brought in pollsters to focus their attention on the younger population by hitting Snapchat and similar sites.
He has of course denied this despite Tory councillors having seen notes of meetings he attended prior to the cut-off date in November.
Is there anyone in public office theses days that’s honest?

You mean he sought the opinions of those with most to lose if this wasn't implemented? Those who will have many years to suffer the continued blight of particulate pollution and NOX emissions? Oh how dare he. Laughing

Is this the same group of people that leave hundreds of tons of rubbish, plastic bottles and tents at festivals around the country.
Yeah they really care about the planet!

Post #428873 18th Jan 2023 2:32 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Well unfortunately not everyone have the finances to put deposits on incredibly expensive cars.. and as we know electric cars are certainly not as green as they claim to be…

This has absolutely nothing to do with emissions.. this is his attempt to try and keep his TFL from total bankruptcy…

The way he is trying to railroad this into existence is so wrong, I understand we do need to change things but giving people and business's less than a years notice is unreasonable. Many who have uncompliant vehicles are police officers, NHS staff Fire Brigade staff and other public service workers like transport who live just outside the affected areas but the only way to get to work because they work unsocial hours is to drive. Normal working people are struggling at the moment with the cost of living crisis and energy prices, so having to replace their perfectly good EU5 diesel is just not an option. I myself had to change my motorcycle a couple of years back with the last ULEZ extension. it was a 2006 model, owned from new and had only 13,000 miles on it. It cost me £5,500 to change it just to carry on visiting the same places and people.

I also read recently that many of the replies (some 5000+) to the consultation were not included in the final count because they were from small business and motoring groups. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #428887 18th Jan 2023 10:12 am
Sidthecat

Thumbs Up what he said

Post #428905 18th Jan 2023 3:55 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Apologies in advance to anyone not interested and it is a bit long winded, but for me it was a very interesting watch. I have my opinion on this but respect you may have a different take on it. For what its worth, I think this isn't just a London issue but is coming to a City near you, if, in this case, it's in down to one single minded individual which I feel is wrong.

2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #429053 21st Jan 2023 6:32 pm
Sidthecat

Didn’t look comfortable did he? How many times did he say “I, as decision maker”
Croydon have now joined the group of anti-ULEZ councils

Post #429063 21st Jan 2023 9:14 pm
1powerrack

England 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

you only have to look at his body language to see how dishonest he is, why hasn't there been an inquiry into how this man operates, and also the repeated named affiliates in the council, far too much power for one man, absolute power corrupts

Post #429094 22nd Jan 2023 3:23 pm
Sidthecat

He was just as evasive when questioned by local BBC news. And he reckons he’s going to stand in the next Mayoral elections Sad

Post #429103 22nd Jan 2023 5:51 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I wonder how many people now regret voting to have a mayor of London in the first place.

Post #429110 22nd Jan 2023 8:02 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Doesn't matter if people voted to have a Mayor in the first place or not - one would have been forced on you same as happened elsewhere when the people rejected the idea in other areas... go democracy Whistle 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #429133 23rd Jan 2023 10:29 am
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Just had my response from my MP …. Who is trying to fight it ….

Long response and request at the bottom to sign their petition… irrespective of party politics if you don’t want Ulez then sign this..

https://action.conservatives.com/stop-drivers-tax/

Post #429145 23rd Jan 2023 12:19 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

PRadd wrote:
Doesn't matter if people voted to have a Mayor in the first place or not - one would have been forced on you same as happened elsewhere when the people rejected the idea in other areas... go democracy Whistle

Directly Elected Mayors were brought in because people complained that the original 'Committee' System never took Hard Decisions, now unfortunately they do.

I do note that London seems to have been unlucky with their choice of 'Directly Elected' Mayors, but you must have voted for all three.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directly_elected_mayors_in_England

As has been said, this is not a 'London Only' problem, although in Bristol we are getting rid of the Mayor, and going back to the old system. (We have had our own Cycle Lane Problem, and Resident's Parking)

But just as we thought we were free, we now have a Regional Elected Mayor, and now the start of a fresh TAX ??, it seems non-electric cars are to have a surcharge when parking in Bath.

https://www.bathecho.co.uk/news/politics/p...ns-101026/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #429977 12th Feb 2023 4:32 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

As far as I recall we had referenda about city mayors in the rest of the country after the London Mayoralty was established - I seem to remember that only one city voted for a mayoralty - they were imposed despite those emphatic NO votes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-17949390

Then stitched up by G Osborne & council leaders - From Wikipedia

"The Mayor of Greater Manchester is the directly elected metro mayor of Greater Manchester, responsible for strategic governance in the region that includes health, transport, housing, strategic planning, waste management, policing, the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and skills. The creation of the Mayor of Greater Manchester was agreed between the then Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, and Greater Manchester's 10 district council leaders. As well as having specific powers, the mayor chairs the Greater Manchester Combined Authority, also assuming the powers of the Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner." 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #429981 12th Feb 2023 5:49 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Thanks for link, it made interesting reading. A real insight into history.

It contains a very accurate prediction of what Boris Johnson was really planning.

To quote ---
It has not taken long for people to start raising concerns that a second Johnson term will be dominated - even distorted - by his plans for his next career move, and will be seen through the prism of his relationship with David Cameron FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #429984 12th Feb 2023 7:20 pm
Sidthecat

HM Govt have it seems been asked to step in and overrule Khan on the grounds that he’s overstepped his powers in looking to extend the ULEZ.
There’s hope yet - may also be saving me a lot of money in having to buy a new car

Post #430337 21st Feb 2023 5:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>