Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Mayor Khan kills off FL2’s in London..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

IanMetro wrote:
tenet wrote:
Bristol will be the same from 28th November. £9/ day.

Bristol is a no-go area for me now, although I now use my Bus Pass and Park and Ride to get to Hospital Appointments.
I do know that you can get exemption/permission to use FL2 for appointments, but Car Park Charges, and hectic driving in and around Bristol make the Bus a better bet.

Recently, to avoid M5 traffic problems, I used the outer Bristol Ring Road, it was horrific, with people zig-zagging at speed from lane to lane to gain a few places at the next traffic lights.
Plus, the whole place is a nightmare of differing speed limits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-63778390

"Bristol City Council said people will not receive written notification or any kind of alert that they have entered the CAZ or that a payment is due, rather individuals and businesses are "fully responsible for managing this".

Daily charges apply 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year round, and must be paid within six days of travel.

Failure to pay the daily charge will result in a full Penalty Charge Notice of £120, or £60 if paid within 14 days, as well as the outstanding daily charge".

As there will be no notification or any kind of alert it is quite clear that this is a mege rip off to make people pay the full penalty charge.

J

Post #427340 28th Nov 2022 10:44 am
Martin S

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for letting me know all this. I guess it will now give me an excuse to never visit any of my children - who live in London. I won’t be contributing to the economy of any of the LEZ zones and as far as I care they can all rot. I’m a pensioner and how am I supposed to afford a new vehicle that will tow my caravan - my only pleasure in life.

Post #427345 28th Nov 2022 12:18 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Thanks Jimbo.

For those not familiar with the area; (See Map in Link)
Inset A carefully includes the dual carriageway over the river Avon, preventing anyone easily going between the M5 (J19) (A4west) and anywhere in Bristol or accessing the A37, A38 or A4 to go South or East.

And Inset B includes the bottom of the M32 leading to the M4 (J19).

Thus, Bristol to me, as a FL2 driver, is a No-Go Area.

It seems to me that they could have allowed traffic to use the inset A roads, although the rot set in many years ago when they started to restrict the purpose built Portway Dual Carriageway, the original end of the A4 leading to the docks, by inserting Bus and cycle lanes to ensure long traffic queues on the remaining, now Single Carriageway.

To me, these new restrictions are the result of many changes to the (short term) plans which chopped and changes of the years which cancelled Bristol's attempts to have proper Ring Roads and Road Links.

Traffic Jams are not a new thing in Bristol, back in the 1950s my School started at 0915 to allow us to miss the Rush Hour on the Buses. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #427347 28th Nov 2022 12:42 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Looks like our SD4 will be a rare site in South London for a while then. Because of my Wife's Illness's and Disabilities she was eligible to register our car as Disabled Taxation class which exempted it until October 2025, we were forced into doing this when it was extended to the North & South circular roads.

From reading about the expansion it appears this has been extended to 2027 so buys us more time. 2 years ago I was forced to change my motorbike (owned from new for 12 years) as it wasn't euro 3 at a cost £6000. Ironically my 48 year old 3 ltr V8 Triumph Stag is exempt.

Again from what I read this won't happen without a big fight and many legal challenges but I'm under no illusion it will be implemented and only delayed at best. I feel so sorry for so many people who have perfectly good cars that now they will have to sell or scrap. When walking my dogs locally over the weekend I worked out something like 2 in 10 cars in my area will not be compliant.

This man has a lot to answer for and the sooner he is removed from office the better. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #427348 28th Nov 2022 1:24 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Jimboland wrote:
IanMetro wrote:
tenet wrote:

Bristol is a no-go area for me now, although I now use my Bus Pass and Park and Ride to get to Hospital Appointments.
I do know that you can get exemption/permission to use FL2 for appointments, but Car Park Charges, and hectic driving in and around Bristol make the Bus a better bet.

Recently, to avoid M5 traffic problems, I used the outer Bristol Ring Road, it was horrific, with people zig-zagging at speed from lane to lane to gain a few places at the next traffic lights.

"Bristol City Council said people will not receive written notification or any kind of alert that they have entered the CAZ or that a payment is due, rather individuals and businesses are "fully responsible for managing this".

Daily charges apply 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year round, and must be paid within six days of travel.

Failure to pay the daily charge will result in a full Penalty Charge Notice of £120, or £60 if paid within 14 days, as well as the outstanding daily charge".

As there will be no notification or any kind of alert it is quite clear that this is a mege rip off to make people pay the full penalty charge.

J

How do they expect you to know you have entered the zone? As you say not sending a warning you entered and are due to pay is just a money making exercise, I cannot see how this could be legal if fought in a court. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #427349 28th Nov 2022 1:40 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Aha I see now, it’s not ALL vehicles just the older ones which do not comply with Diesel Euro 6 and Petrol Euro 4 will need to pay, your post wasn’t clear on that, a pain for people with older vehicles for sure. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #427351 28th Nov 2022 1:45 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Boxbrownie wrote:
Jimboland wrote:
IanMetro wrote:
tenet wrote:

J

How do they expect you to know you have entered the zone? As you say not sending a warning you entered and are due to pay is just a money making exercise, I cannot see how this could be legal if fought in a court.

It’ll be signposted at the outer edges

Post #427357 28th Nov 2022 6:00 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

It’s the poor people living in the zones that have to get a new car that loose. If only going in half a dozen times a year it’s cheaper to pay the tax rather then change cars, or if it’s chargeable to work on expenses etc just pay up.

Post #427358 28th Nov 2022 6:06 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

If you’re living in the zone and only using the car a few times, not worth owning it at all. It’s my understanding that if you live in the zone you’ll be charged every time you drive within it so no more popping down the shops for a few groceries, driving to GP appointments and such like.

Post #427360 28th Nov 2022 7:37 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

No more of the most polluting journeys, the short runs on a cold engine?

Then the zone will be working as intended. Thumbs Up Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #427361 28th Nov 2022 9:46 pm
Telco

2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Unless you are LotsofDo$h and then it doesn't matter!

Post #427362 28th Nov 2022 10:11 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The expansion of these restricted and prohibited travel zones would appear to be national government policy.
I don't know about London's Mayor, but Bristol's was warned of massive fines if he did not get pollution in down in the city in the next year.

I do not see this policy changing, whatever flavour of government we may be blessed with in the future. Although my experience tells me that very few policies seem to last long enough to reach a proper logical conclusion.

Where I live, I am surrounded by half-finished transport projects, truncated ring roads, non-widened (now managed?) motorways, missing links to airports, --- the list goes on.
You are welcome to come and experience the result of all these failures by travelling down the M5 - you need to me early - just join the queue.

PS An example, over 50years ago my uncle and aunt lost their almost new house (compulsory purchase) to make way for a (much needed) ring road around the south and east of Bristol - Most of it never got built and their old house still stands. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 29th Nov 2022 11:11 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #427367 29th Nov 2022 10:39 am
Stussy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Mayor Khan kills off FL2’s in London..

Farmer Chalk wrote:
New ultra low emission zone is being extended to all London Boroughs in August 2023… hence it will kill off usage of any FL2 unless the 3.2 petrol version within the M25 area.. you will have to pay £12.50 per day to use one daily…
So if you live or travel within the M25 you need to buy a new car because it will not be cost effective !

So my wife, my daughter and my father will need to sell their perfectly good cars and try and find the money to buy something else!
How is this saving the planet? [/b]

It's all about getting people and companies into debt , it has absolutely nothing to do with the green agenda, people in debt and poor are much easier to control than the wealthy. Welcome to the modern Victorian age.

Post #427368 29th Nov 2022 10:50 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #427382 29th Nov 2022 9:07 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
Bristol's was warned of massive fines if he did not get pollution in down in the city in the next year.

Who is going to fine them? The government that provides the council funds?? 🤔 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #427396 30th Nov 2022 8:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>