« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Vibration when accelerating in 4th 5th and 6th gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Vibration when accelerating in 4th 5th and 6th gears

Lately I have noticed that when accelerating in 6th 5th or 4th gears up an incline at about 2000rpm you get a vibration and thumping noise just as if you are driving over rumble strips. As soon as you back off with the throttle it goes. Anyone else had this problem or any ideas? Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Last edited by TonyJ on 18th Jan 2011 1:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #88330 16th Jan 2011 10:46 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Had a similar thing and turned out to be one of the wheels weights had come off the wheel.

Sounds silly but you wouldnt believe the vibration from one tiny weight being missing.

Post #88369 17th Jan 2011 10:37 am
TonyJ

Thanks for reply Snappa, but if it was balance weights wouldn't the vibration be at set speeds not just when accelerating? Have spoken to dealer who has not come across this but is having the car in next Tuesday to check it out. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Last edited by TonyJ on 18th Jan 2011 1:37 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #88462 17th Jan 2011 10:46 pm
swfrom07

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

TonyJ, I have a 59 reg TD4e GS and I have noticed exactly the same problem since the weekend.
I will be calling LPR Service Dept and have it looked at.

Please can you post any updates if you hear anything before I do? I thought it was something to do with the wheel balance weights or incorrect tyre pressure but it seems none of the above. Sad Land Rover Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black, 2.2 Td4-e, Rear Spoiler Very Happy

Post #88463 17th Jan 2011 10:49 pm
athelstan

Please keep me informed gentlemen.

He Laydship's manual TD4-e MY2010 has vibration in all gears right through the rev range felt first through the accelerator pedal and, as it gets progressively worse the higher the road speed, it is transmitted through the steering wheel and then the drivers seat. I've had the prop shaft balance weights checked, the tyre balancing, the tracking and inspection for tyre flat spots - all okay.

This started 4 mths into ownership and has been reported 4 times last year to Swiss dealer and their reply is: that's normal (yeah, and so are my 3 eyes, 4 ears and no nose), also, it has been present on winter and summer tyres.

I'm waiting patiently until the winter tyres come off again in late May/April to see if it occurs again on the summer tyres, before I draw a line in the sand and engage in a formal robust action. Therefore any inputs or LR fixes you encounter would be most welcome.

Post #88517 18th Jan 2011 9:59 am
alex_pescaru

In a way they are normal up to a point.
All engines have stuctural vibrations which depend on RPM, engine load, the degree of balancing engine's internal parts, cylinder's compression and injection's balancing, etc.
A lot of factors. Which could vary during time.
It's a matter of hitting the right resonance frequency.
Because to hunt for the exact problem and fix those and/or move the resonance frequency to another point is quite difficult, I would first start and check the powertrain rubber mountings, if I were them.
The powertrain (engine, gearbox, exhaust manifold, etc) is floating on rubber mountings relative with the car's body.

Post #88522 18th Jan 2011 11:07 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Engine mount? Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #88557 18th Jan 2011 3:11 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Manual I assume?

Didn't someone on here post something about the dual mass flywheel or the gearbox / transfer box?? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #88558 18th Jan 2011 3:19 pm
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Tonyj,

Check the rev counter when this happens and check it's not actually the clutch slipping - if the rev counter shoots up 500rpm, them it's likley the same problem i had with my car. I've just had my clutch replaced after 29k due to it slipping in 4th, 5ht and 6th when accelerating (esp on an incline)... when the clutch was slipping, you do get a juddering / vibration in the car, which goes when you let off the gas, or the clutch gets traction again (around 2700rpm)

Worth checking anyway... 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #88581 18th Jan 2011 7:46 pm
TonyJ

The rev counter is not showing signs of the clutch slipping there is just the vibration and thumping noise. I am thinking it could well be associated with the dual mass flywheel. It occurs at maximum torque under load and if a spring is weak or broken in the flywheel it could account for the thumping and vibration. It will be interesting to see what the dealer finds next Tuesday Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #88645 19th Jan 2011 11:05 am
TonyJ

Just an update. Car went into dealers yesterday they took it out for a test run and checked all transmission items. No fault found. I went out this morning and could get the vibration on any incline in 5th gear accelerating from 2000rpm. So have arranged to take mechanic out this afternoon to demonstrate. Will let you know the outcome Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #89799 26th Jan 2011 3:16 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Been there and heard all the excuses, same ----- different car different day. Check some of my posts on this subject. Official land Rover statement "it is a characteristic of vehicle".
My new SD4 does not have problem but 10my TD4 was very bad.

Ressonance is in engine, it transmits through haldex and propshaft causing rear diff to vibrate. It is the diff that you feel.
Some cars show it worse than others, some not at all.

A wee bird explained this to me. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #89887 27th Jan 2011 1:03 am
carvalho

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Clutch starts falling... 2007' Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Tambora Flame

Post #89995 28th Jan 2011 2:28 am
TonyJ

Ended up taking car in yesterday afternoon. Went out with their tester and was able to demonstrate problem. The car is now booked in for two days in a couple of weeks time to find the problem. Carvalho, I think you could be right because I have noticed there is a slight clutch slip, only about 200 rpm and then needle settles back. I still think it is a clutch/duelmass flywheel problem but we will see. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #90013 28th Jan 2011 10:31 am
carvalho

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Mine it's doing the same that's why I think your problem could be the same.

My clutch it's start failling because in 5th and 6th gear it slips a little bit (aporx 400 rev above 2000rpm).
But at low speed when engaged 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear I feel a little vibration on the pedals...
I think it's the clutch triyng to "fix" the torque but same way it's tends to slip.

The mechanic diagnose the problem because for two times I almost burn the clutch in off road. 2007' Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Tambora Flame

Post #90036 28th Jan 2011 3:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>