Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Vibration when accelerating in 4th 5th and 6th gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
ad15

my D3 did this last week,,,, it was after i'd had the back wheels off ,

turns out they sit on a small lip,, so when you tighten the nuts by hand with the wheel jacked up and then lower, the wheel moves ever so slightly,, then once driving the wheel re sits itself and the nuts are loose,

probably not the same as you lot but worth checking,, go see how tight your wheel nuts are,, and have any of you had a wheel off recently?

Post #90095 29th Jan 2011 2:13 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Ouch! Always check tightness of nuts when you drop the wheel back to the ground!
I did forget once, on a Disco, and the nuts came loose in under 5 miles. Luckily no damage.
But if nuts are loose, they will get worse very quickly and you WILL notice.
Mind you if someone has had loose nuts in the past, the holes in the wheel will probably be oval, which would cause vibration.

Post #90150 29th Jan 2011 11:09 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I once had a rear wheel fall off my tractor .... ouch At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #90153 29th Jan 2011 11:27 pm
ad15

@past master,, i DID check when i lowered it to the ground,, they were rock solid,, i leant on the weheel brace (LR supplied) hard enough it snapped. then used 3/4 " socket set on it,

it's all down to the little lip that the wheel sits on,,,when raised off the ground it drops ever so slightly and you have got it all nice and tight,, then when you lower, tighten and drive off it moves,, just 1mm or so,, but enough to free up the 5mm or so of play,, Shocked Shocked

Post #90159 29th Jan 2011 11:52 pm
Chunk

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Hello, Im new here, but have not too long ago experienced a similar sounding problem. My Freelander Black with only 8k miles on the clock started to make a noise like was mentioned earlier, 'going over rumble strips while accelerating', It wasnt noticable while sitting at constant speed but called Land Rover assist immediatly. Having previously owned a Freelander 1 td4 and have a drive shaft and the IRD on an 06 plate go in the same month I was pretty worried and pretty annoyed, dreading that my Freelander 2 that was less than a year old was having big problems already.
Land Rover assist were very very good, sent an AA guy out in 20 mins, he found the problem and arranged for it to be taken from Glasgow back to the dealer I had bought it new from in Inverness and arranged the courtesy car from Enterprise, which turned out to be a Discovery 4 HSE, and believe it or not this was all done on Christmas eve.
The problem was as the AA guy had found, a broken engine mounting bracket on the drivers side. I was pretty angry that this could happen to what is basically a new car, Inverness reconned it hadnt been connected properly in the factory. In fairness to Land Rover they provided amazing service and had my car delivered back to me in my home town of Wick on the 29th of Dec, Land Rover Assist were very good getting someone to me very quickly, and I got to enjoy a Disco 4 HSE for a few wintery days.
Unfortunately I have fallen in love with the Disco 4 and will really have to save like mad if that is what will replace the Freelander 2 in 2 years time.
Anyways, that my story, so check the engine mounting bracketsand if you suspect that then stop driving on.

Post #90240 31st Jan 2011 1:32 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

ad15 wrote:

it's all down to the little lip that the wheel sits on,,,when raised off the ground it drops ever so slightly and you have got it all nice and tight,, then when you lower, tighten and drive off it moves,, just 1mm or so,, but enough to free up the 5mm or so of play,, Shocked Shocked

Haven't met that. But my tyre supplier says wheelnuts must always be checked after 25 miles. Maybe this is why.

Post #90342 31st Jan 2011 7:58 pm
mkt29

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

New member here, wish my first post would've been about how much i love my car but...

I have a 2009 XS which i've been very happy with until recently, it has developed the same problem as described, a judder / vibration when passing 2000 RPM which is worse / more pronounced when going up an incline.

My problem started last november, the judder started in higher gears and then progressed down the gear box (manual) until the fault was present in 2nd. The car was booked in to the dealers to look at and they said they couldn't find a problem. I then booked it in again a week later and demonstrated the problem to the master technician, car was kept at dealers and they fitted a new rear diff / haldex unit. Car was returned apparently 100%. Issue still present but back to just higher gears i.e. 5th and 6th.

Told dealer issue was still present, arranged for them to have it back, unfortunately wasn't available to demonstrate problem so they tested car themselves and told me the car had no problems and was 100%, again.

Took car back in yesterday and demonstrated fault to a different master technician, the fault is working its way down the gearbox again and is happening in 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd, he believes the issue may be an engine management system problem as it is more apparent when the engine and gearbox is under load i.e. on an incline. He is contacting Land Rover for help as he has never heard of this issue before, although he assures me the car is safe to drive.

Starting to feel really frustrated about this now...

Mark

Post #90433 1st Feb 2011 1:14 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Chunk wrote:
Hello, Im new here, but have not too long ago experienced a similar sounding problem. My Freelander Black with only 8k miles on the clock started to make a noise like was mentioned earlier, 'going over rumble strips while accelerating', It wasnt noticable while sitting at constant speed but called Land Rover assist immediatly. Having previously owned a Freelander 1 td4 and have a drive shaft and the IRD on an 06 plate go in the same month I was pretty worried and pretty annoyed, dreading that my Freelander 2 that was less than a year old was having big problems already.
Land Rover assist were very very good, sent an AA guy out in 20 mins, he found the problem and arranged for it to be taken from Glasgow back to the dealer I had bought it new from in Inverness and arranged the courtesy car from Enterprise, which turned out to be a Discovery 4 HSE, and believe it or not this was all done on Christmas eve.
The problem was as the AA guy had found, a broken engine mounting bracket on the drivers side. I was pretty angry that this could happen to what is basically a new car, Inverness reconned it hadnt been connected properly in the factory. In fairness to Land Rover they provided amazing service and had my car delivered back to me in my home town of Wick on the 29th of Dec, Land Rover Assist were very good getting someone to me very quickly, and I got to enjoy a Disco 4 HSE for a few wintery days.
Unfortunately I have fallen in love with the Disco 4 and will really have to save like mad if that is what will replace the Freelander 2 in 2 years time.
Anyways, that my story, so check the engine mounting bracketsand if you suspect that then stop driving on.

I've had cars before with engine mount problems and they have always manifestered themselves as drive line juddering and engine rocking as described here....

Could it be that were looking at a bunch of dodgy mounts causing the problem? Is it worth getting the techies to check these when checking things?

Put it this way it certainly does not sound like an engine management problem Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #90434 1st Feb 2011 1:27 pm
mkt29

Captain Worm wrote:

Put it this way it certainly does not sound like an engine management problem

Great, I thought i was getting the dealer fob off / runaround.

I'll mention the engine mounts when they contact me later this week...

Post #90437 1st Feb 2011 2:08 pm
tuwana

Turkey 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Vibration when accelerating in 4th 5th and 6th gears

TonyJ wrote:
Lately I have noticed that when accelerating in 6th 5th or 4th gears up an incline at about 2000rpm you get a vibration and thumping noise just as if you are driving over rumble strips. As soon as you back off with the throttle it goes. Anyone else had this problem or any ideas?

İn addition if you change gear lower level ,it disappears. Idea
I have the same problem and it begins after the new program was installed.They invited me to the service for loading a new program for quality management. Big Cry Off Road major rule:As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary!

Post #90789 4th Feb 2011 2:48 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Quote:
İn addition if you change gear lower level ,it disappears.
I have the same problem and it begins after the new program was installed.They invited me to the service for loading a new program for quality management.

Yes it does because the revs are then not at 2000 rpm. Mine goes into dealer on Momday so will advise the outcome. But I'm not holding my breath.
 Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #91471 10th Feb 2011 2:17 am
mkt29

Good luck, i hope they manage to diagnose the problem.

mines going in to the dealer again on the 21st...

Post #91480 10th Feb 2011 10:24 am
mkt29

Tony did your dealer manage to get to the cause of the problem??

Post #91949 14th Feb 2011 8:13 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Car went in today, havn't heard anything yet. Due to get it bck tomorrow so watch this space. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #91981 14th Feb 2011 11:27 pm
mkt29

Thanks for that, looked at your other post and read the dates wrong, thinking it was dated 4th FEB meaning (to me anyway) it went in last monday...

Post #91985 15th Feb 2011 1:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>