Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 35 <123 ... 111213 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

What if your choice removes another man's freedom? Whistle Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #424765 29th Aug 2022 7:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Whistle
Exactly, those who cannot accommodate an EV have no choice or freedom - unless you call the farce that is public transport freedom.

I was thinking of those who live in streets where unless you get home at 3pm you have no chance of parking in your own street, let alone charging your car outside your house.
Not me obviously, I'm a selfish so and so that just wants to keep my dirty polluting diesel Very Happy: Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #424769 29th Aug 2022 8:51 pm
Dartman the one

England 

If the EV becomes the predominant vehicle then the facilities to charge them at or very near the owners abode will need to be addressed, whether that means the road outside the house becomes legally the homeowners right to park and charge there exclusively, however security of the changing system will need to be taken into account, perhaps the need for some type of secure pod system with a vertical stacking system.
Though the governments at this time are pushing the BEV there is no guarantee it will be predominant in 20 years time and become the pariah of anti green just as the fossil fuel vehicles are today, so there will be little planning to charge millions of BEV's if there is no confidence they are here to stay, if they are here to stay then there definitely will be a problem and owners will be charged large amounts of cash to pay for the charging network in residential areas, it will fall on all owners not just those in non driveway properties and flats without parking facilities.
This is very much a heads they win, tails you lose scenario my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Last edited by Dartman the one on 29th Aug 2022 9:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #424773 29th Aug 2022 9:35 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Andy131 wrote:
Whistle
Exactly, those who cannot accommodate an EV have no choice or freedom - unless you call the farce that is public transport freedom.

I was thinking of those who live in streets where unless you get home at 3pm you have no chance of parking in your own street, let alone charging your car outside your house.
Not me obviously, I'm a selfish so and so that just wants to keep my dirty polluting diesel Very Happy:

I’ll have no choice but to spend a lot of money on buying another car if, as is expected, Khan expands the London ULEZ next August. There’s hundreds like me, if not thousands, who’s choice has been taken from us

Post #424774 29th Aug 2022 9:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Andy131 wrote:
Whistle

Public transport just doesnt work for many people.
Chatting to my son who lives in Lowesoft. To get a train to BHam International (my nearest station) and back to Lowestoft takes a total of 10 hrs, 6 changes and £156.
He can drive there and back in 6 hrs and £60 of fuel. Jules

Post #424776 29th Aug 2022 11:17 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Same here, if we want to get to our kids place in Pershore it costs us about (it does vary a lot) £80 - £130 each by train with three changes and takes about 6 hours, if we drive it costs us £15 and takes 4.5 hours including the two 20 minutes top up stops, which double as liquid release and tea breaks.

Public transport (buses) is a joke anywhere but the City’s and major towns. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424785 30th Aug 2022 9:57 am
Boxbrownie

Andy131 wrote:
Whistle

Did you buy your Freelander new?

Because you’ll still be free to buy any secondhand vehicle you like after 2030, just like now. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424786 30th Aug 2022 9:59 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Dartman the one wrote:
Though the governments at this time are pushing the BEV there is no guarantee it will be predominant in 20 years time and become the pariah of anti green just as the fossil fuel vehicles are today

Personal car ownership will be the pariah, regardless of the means of propulsion. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #424790 30th Aug 2022 2:27 pm
Boxbrownie

At least we’ll have the poor to carry us around in our Litters though. Regards

David

Post #424795 30th Aug 2022 4:09 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

So they want to take away (or at least make unpopular) our freedom of choice in how to travel, when to travel, what we can carry with us, and who we travel with, not even mentioning the means of propulsion.

Post #424798 30th Aug 2022 4:32 pm
Boxbrownie

They’ve already taken away your freedom of choice to travel without seatbelts on, or speed excessively, or park where you want, or shock horror kill that noisy neighbour.

You want MORE freedom? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #424804 30th Aug 2022 5:49 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I think there is a mood developing in the country based on impact of covid, and now the energy increases. We may yet see civil unrest if things turn worse. What have people got to loose?

"At least we’ll have the poor to carry us around in our Litters though"-you never know they may start witch hunts again Rolling with laughter

EVs and the greed of energy suppliers coupled with really poor infrastructure and the public perception they will be responsible for global warming unless they buy an EV wont help.

Post #424808 30th Aug 2022 6:54 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

But it's not just about EV's but the whole flawed approach to net zero. The inconvenience of being forced into EV's will pale into insignificance compared to the cost of air sourced heat pumps and the massive costs of adapting houses, flats etc with the accompanying home insulation. Total madness just to reduce the world's emissions of CO2 by 0.5% or thereabouts whilst the average family could be in penury crippled by the costs imposed. Time to have a serious conversation methinks. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #424812 30th Aug 2022 7:54 pm
Dartman the one

England 

My daughter put in a heatpump replacing an oil fired boiler, just before everything took off, it now appears that it would be cheaper to buy a diesel generator to drive the heatpump rather than use her supplier, she is looking at a battery back up solar system but so far the so called installers are just cowboys if they are judged on the standard of their quotes.
No advice or options just we quote to supply a 4kW system with 4 kW battery, no explanation as to why and or the type of panel or make, same goes for the inverter electronics, some £4k above an online quote from a large English company with a website giving full information on panel type and make options on the type of inverter and pros and cons of the types of controller, she lives in the west of Scotland which has rather dull short winter days.
By the way with the huge increase in electricity has the feed in tariff increased? my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #424814 30th Aug 2022 9:59 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

On the feed-in tarif, I don’t care. I want to keep my solar generation and use it myself. If they bring in lower tarif for off peak use I charge the battery with that if there is no sun. I don’t see the point in being paid currently 5p a unit that they’ll sell back to me at 29p a unit.
Looked at eon energy’s Solar offer and there’s no islanding and little control over how the batteries are used. Found an independent solar panel fitter that gives me a system that I have control of and can run the house if the power is cut by the grid. You have to have an isolator so you don’t electrocute anyone working on anything connected to your supply.

Post #424817 30th Aug 2022 10:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 35 <123 ... 111213 ... 333435>