Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 36 <123 4 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
Billsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

EV’s hybrids are not the future but a stop gap whilst we start to come away from fossil fuels.
Synthetic fuel, hydrogen or battery exchange banks will be the next big advance

Biggest threat to the planet is the ever increasing population. Nature will sort us out and cull our numbers as it does with all overpopulated species. Resources will eventually run out the population will become diseased, fight amongst itself for the limited resources and the healthiest/richest will survive.
Or Google will become self aware, see us as a threat and wipe us out Laughing

I’m going with the plug in hybrid thing for now as it works for me until something better comes along.

Post #423625 27th Jul 2022 10:48 am
Billsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

Oops double posted.

Post #423627 27th Jul 2022 11:05 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Billsy wrote:
EV’s hybrids are not the future but a stop gap whilst we start to come away from fossil fuels.
Synthetic fuel, hydrogen or battery exchange banks will be the next big advance

Biggest threat to the planet is the ever increasing population. Nature will sort us out and cull our numbers as it does with all overpopulated species. Resources will eventually run out the population will become diseased, fight amongst itself for the limited resources and the healthiest/richest will survive.
Or Google will become self aware, see us as a threat and wipe us out Laughing

I’m going with the plug in hybrid thing for now as it works for me until something better comes along.

I think Billsy may be right, what is happening is straight out of the 'Darwin' rule book.

We are so successful as a species, that the only thing left to threaten us, is ourselves.

As far as PHEVs go, the LR DS and RRS both have plug-ins variants, which look interesting, good, if a little expensive.

Best be quick and enjoy our fantastic powers of mobility, while we can. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #423635 27th Jul 2022 5:23 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I thought everyone knew about the Mars population programme……no?

Perhaps I shouldn’t say anymore then Censored Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #423637 27th Jul 2022 5:43 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

jules wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
With the right EV (350kW charge capable), and charging at home before setting off on a trip, it's possible to drive 1000 miles with just an hour spent charging, assuming you can find enough working 350kW chargers.
This will improve over time.

Nice, if you own your own house, have on-site parking and can afford the cost of the installation. Millions will simply not have this facility.
Will councils pay to install chargers outside every terrace or council house; they cant even fill the potholes?

The infrastructure is what it all hangs on. At the moment the EV future is for the affluent only.

There are going to be issues that need solving. However at the moment, most current EV owners will likely have off street parking, simply because the EVs are so bloody expensive, that only the well healed can afford them.

Home or roadside charging doesn't need to be high output, a 3kW or 7kW charger will suit most needs. I've already seen ideas for chargers in street future like street lights, so these just need to be rolled out to everywhere.
Charging at home is cheapest, especially as EV tariffs exist for this purpose.

Like it or not, electric vehicles are said to be the answer to the climate issues, so our diesel powered Freelanders will likely be taxed off the road, eventually. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #423640 27th Jul 2022 6:44 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Boxbrownie wrote:
I thought everyone knew about the Mars population programme……no?

Perhaps I shouldn’t say anymore then Censored

Already there! - Where do you think I am writing this post from.

On a more serious note - In Bristol there are a gang of protesters taking the law into there own hands to rid the world of (polluting?) vehicles.

The Tyre Extinguishers , an anti SUV movement.

They also don't seem to recognise EVs as the answer, as ALL Vehicles are included in the attacks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-62291413

We were discussing a similar 'to have, to have not' EV subject earlier.

In this topic you will see that I was recently loaned a Jag I-Pace, and was quite impressed with it, all I now need is to win the Nation Lottery tonight, otherwise the cost will make it a pipe dream.

PS on second thoughts I would rather have a RRS PHEV, either this generation or the up coming one. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #423643 27th Jul 2022 7:14 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

So I’ll drive SWMBO’s gas guzzling, antisocial Fiesta ST3 into town. I can get higher mpg out of the FL2 which would also generate less CO2. It is easier to park because it’s so small and it isn’t a bad drive, just not as comfortable all round as an SUV.

Post #423645 27th Jul 2022 7:44 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

jules wrote:
Here are a few musings of my own -
Nobody fills up at expensive motorway service stations unless they have to or someone else pays for the fuel, yet the pumps are pretty much in use most of the time during the day - say 80% usage between 8am and 6pm.
Lets say it takes 10 minutes to half fill the car's tank.
If most BEV will need to charge for an hour to obtain an equivalent of a "half tank of fuel" (Im totally guessing at this) then you are going to need 6 times more charging points than petrol pumps.

Basically we are going to need hell of a lot more charging points than we have now in order to prevent gridlock - and unlike a motorway service station which have massive car parks that can have charging points in all the slots, your local fuel station won't have the space to install them.

Yes charging at home will offset that a bit - but that is not going to be an option for millions any time soon.

A modern EV on the right charger will go from 20% to 80% in 30 minutes, and an 800 Volt architecture EV like the Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 will do the same 20 to 80% in under 18 minutes. Or almost 60 miles range in just 5 minutes of charging.

Andy131 wrote:
I hadn't realised that 350kW chargers exist - nice.

lets say your average motorway petrol station has 15 pumps (many have more) and it takes 10 minutes to fill up with petrol. In comparison it might take 20 minutes to top up an EV, so you are looking at 30 x 350kW chargers.

That's 10MW of power - a really big supply to a site that is usually remote, that raises two issues, who is going to pay for it?, and can the local grid handle it?

Forget the pro's and con's of EV, it's the infrastructure or lack of it that is going to move the 2035 ban on new ICE vehicles.

High power charge stations often have several MW of on site battery storage, so peak demands on the grid are smoothed out. These batteries are charged by cheap night rate electricity, and many have on site or nearby solar too.

It's solvable now, so by 2030 charging facilities should be everywhere. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #423672 28th Jul 2022 7:48 pm
Boxbrownie

Careful, you’ll have people believing you Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #423674 28th Jul 2022 8:33 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Every thing is solvable but the cash and the inclination may not be, the government will say it's a private commercial investment, the commercial companies will say they won't spend that size of investment for something that has a short life span. Let's admit it many on here say BEV's are just a stop gap. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #423676 28th Jul 2022 10:20 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The intelligent local councils will support high speed charging in regional towns. One is supposed to stop every 2 hours for safe driving in Australia according to the government ads for the last few decades.

Stopping every few hours for a break & plugging the car in will reduce road fatalities. For years now it takes us 2 hours to get out of Sydney, like everyone else we stop at the particular rest areas to de-water & have a break usually for 20 minutes. It would be a no brainer to have charging infrastructure set up as we are already stopping with ICEs. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #423678 28th Jul 2022 10:58 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I see Tesla specific charging points installed at some motorway services as well as the normal e chargers. Are they going to be like apple and use a totally different plug? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #423683 29th Jul 2022 9:22 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Yes they use a totally different plug, the reason being that Teslas came with "free" charging - it was included in the purchase price of the car. You wouldn't want Elon paying for the electricity to keep a competitors car on the road, or even paying for the infrastructure to keep competitors cars on the road.

Shell / Texaco / Esso paying for the infrastructure to keep EVs on the road makes sense as they don't make cars, but you are never going to convince Ford to pay for chargers that keep Vauxhalls fueled up. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #423685 29th Jul 2022 9:31 am
pinhead

Tesla charge points in Europe have the same CCS connector as all other cars should have its the accepted standard
In the early days tesla came up with a clever design to feed DC into the car through a type 2 connector and they were different but all the chargers have now been retrofitted with a CCS plug and the new V3 high power units are CCS only
The old cars without CCS can use an adapter so that they can access the new V3 chargers
Free for life charging ended on new cars in March 2017 and some new cars came with free for the first owner charging but now free charging is not available on any new cars and hasn't been for quite a while
If you own a tesla you get charged for it through your tesla account you just plug in and it starts no messing about
This year tesla has trialed opening up to other makes and 20% are opened to all
You use an app to start the charge and pay
The only cars that cannot charge this way are those without CCS
In the early days of EV there was no standard so each manufacturer brought there own but for Europe CCS has won and you cannot get type approval for a new car without it

Post #423688 29th Jul 2022 10:41 am
Boxbrownie

Bobupndown wrote:
I see Tesla specific charging points installed at some motorway services as well as the normal e chargers. Are they going to be like apple and use a totally different plug?

No, as explained in the previous post which is correct, although there are still posts which get it all wrong Wink Regards

David

Post #423694 29th Jul 2022 1:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 36 <123 4 ... 343536>