Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Garmin Sat Nav interference?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Garmin Sat Nav interference?

Just put a Garmin Nuvi in our Freelander 2 and it's having difficulty acquiring satellites? Whereas outside or in our other car it works fine.
Has anyone experienced similar? Just wondering if there is anything in the Freelander windscreen or aerials which could be causing the problem?
It is fitted with a heated front screen but so is our other vehicle.

Want to use it in the Freelande r as the standard fit unit is out of date and minor roads are often missing, also it doesn't display the current speed limits.I

Thanks. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426412 1st Nov 2022 8:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Click image to enlarge

I use a Garmin Sat Nav and have experienced no problems with reception or general use.

It is positioned next to door pillar in bottom right-hand corner of my (heated) screen.
My Samsung phone is paired with it to supply on-line traffic and other services.

My phone is paired with my FL2 for phone calls, music. etc. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #426413 1st Nov 2022 8:24 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Garmin Sat Nav interference?

Lakelander wrote:
Just put a Garmin Nuvi in our Freelander 2 and it's having difficulty acquiring satellites? Whereas outside or in our other car it works fine.
Has anyone experienced similar? Just wondering if there is anything in the Freelander windscreen or aerials which could be causing the problem?

Thanks.

Some HF screens are better at blocking the satellite signals than others. I've got no issues with using my droid in mine though. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426415 1st Nov 2022 8:57 pm
Lakelander

IanMetro wrote:
Click image to enlarge

I use a Garmin Sat Nav and have experienced no problems with reception or general use.

It is positioned next to door pillar in bottom right-hand corner of my (heated) screen.
My Samsung phone is paired with it to supply on-line traffic and other services.

My phone is paired with my FL2 for phone calls, music. etc.

Thanks for reply. Mine is positioned in the centre, forward of the central speaker grill behind the black sensor ball.
No problems with my Android phone. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426419 1st Nov 2022 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lakelander

Nodge68 wrote:
Lakelander wrote:

Thanks.

Some HF screens are better at blocking the satellite signals than others. I've got no issues with using my droid in mine though.

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is an HF screen ? I assume the FL2 screen is pretty much the same as other vehicles of that era? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426420 1st Nov 2022 11:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I was in the outback & my Garmin 7" model was increasingly having difficulties finding satellites. I bought another as I was not in a position to solve the problem at the time.

After the holiday did some research. Charge it at home overnight. I did this & it solved the problem.

You really need the GPS effectively under the glass in the middle of the dashboard. At the A pillar is the wrong place for a good signal.

GPS magnetic mount: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #426421 1st Nov 2022 11:37 pm
Nodge68

Lakelander wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Lakelander wrote:

Thanks.

Some HF screens are better at blocking the satellite signals than others. I've got no issues with using my droid in mine though.

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is an HF screen ? I assume the FL2 screen is pretty much the same as other vehicles of that era?

Sorry. I used an abbreviation. H = Heated F = Front.
Heated Front Screens are often abbreviated as HFS in the trade. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #426422 2nd Nov 2022 6:39 am
IanMetro

Lightwater wrote:
I was in the outback & my Garmin 7" model was increasingly having difficulties finding satellites. I bought another as I was not in a position to solve the problem at the time.

After the holiday did some research. Charge it at home overnight. I did this & it solved the problem.

You really need the GPS effectively under the glass in the middle of the dashboard. At the A pillar is the wrong place for a good signal.

GPS magnetic mount: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html

Lightwater may be pointing in the right direction here and giving us a clue.

Is this difficulty in initially finding satellites another symptom of the (well known?) start up power supply/battery problems we all seem to suffer after a few years of 12v battery life.

PS I am expecting a few forum questions on electronic/random error code problems as the temperature drops (in the northern hemisphere) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Last edited by IanMetro on 2nd Nov 2022 10:46 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #426426 2nd Nov 2022 9:59 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I have had several Garmin satnavs and found them all troublesome in acquiring satelites, updating and very poor in selecting routes but good at getting lost. Since switching to TomTom I have had no problems.

J

Post #426429 2nd Nov 2022 10:29 am
Lightwater

No 12v issues in my car. We are in the outback so only use young starter batteries (less than 2 years old at the time).

We were lent a Tom Tom in England, instead of a simple turnoff it took as on a route (Farnham from memory) that by comparison made a bowl of spaghetti look as though it was doing line dancing. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #426431 2nd Nov 2022 11:24 am
Lakelander

Lightwater wrote:

GPS magnetic mount: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html

Do you have to charge your Garmin at home regularly or did one good charge cure the problem? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426434 2nd Nov 2022 11:31 am
Lightwater

Only had to do it the once. I have tried it a few times since & there didn't seem to be any issues. The newer one never had an issue.

I have a spare 12v socket & plugged it into that, into one of my auxiliary 26AH batteries so it was charging continuously.

What I stumbled across is that they just need a good solid charge overnight or so.

A different issue:

I have thought about settings up a second one. In the outback if you have say a 10km resolution the tracks don't show up until you are down to 300 metres (or something like that) but that is too close for the overall road. You sort of need both simultaneously as it is only the previous bends in the road which give you a clue where you are. No mobile access out there so you do need maps, especially paper maps as back up & overall picture. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #426436 2nd Nov 2022 11:49 am
Lakelander

Garmin Sat Nav interference?

Here is my set up.
Just tried it again. Still won't acquire satellites when on the dash but lifted outside the car and it acquires them after 60 seconds.
Works perfectly on the dash in my Defender.?

I'll now try giving it a full overnight charge n the house.
Will let you know the outcome.
 FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426449 2nd Nov 2022 5:01 pm
Nodge68

Try moving the unit further away from the glass, which will lessen the Faraday Cage effect of the HFS wires. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #426454 2nd Nov 2022 7:16 pm
IanMetro

Just thought of a reason that my reception may be better, apart from being nearer side windows, I have a panoramic glass roof.

This roof will surely lessen the screening cage effect, especially in the skywards direction. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #426463 2nd Nov 2022 9:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>