Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > GPS magnetic mount.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
GPS magnetic mount.

The car doesn't have GPS & I rarely use it except in the outback mostly to find tracks. I didn't want to drill holes in the dashboard. So bought a range of magnets & settled on a pair of Neodymium 32 x 8mm north south pair, pull force 25kg (which is less as the magnets are about 3mm apart through the panel), but about the right strength.

The cable I may run under the panel but haven't finalized that yet. Previously I had the mounting bracket double sided taped on the dashboard panel but the sun loosened the tape. Also there was a bit of vibration, but now that is gone with the 3 x 32mm strip of aluminium. M4 tapped hole, countersunk screw & some Loctite. Had to Dremel (Bosch GRO 19.8v version) out the back of the Garmin bracket, tapped an M6 nylon bolt into the centre of the Garmin bracket, & then screwed a 4 gauge screw into the head of the nylon bolt to hold the magnet on the bracket.

The GPS was a pain on the windscreen as it was too far away & when camping it was in the way on the sunscreen.

The GPS closer into the car has a bit of trouble with the signal.

If you pull up the dashboard panel, free one side a bit, then the other, try to pull the edge up near the windscreen as evenly left to right as possible to avoid loosing the metal clips in the bowels of the car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #398286 14th Oct 2020 7:00 am
Carel Kriek

South Africa 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I like the concept very much. Windscreen mounted, it is really a pain to reach the touch screen.
Does it loose signal from time to time in the new position or just taking longer to gather satellites after power on?
Thumbs Up 2013 SD4 SE (hers)
2013 SD4 HSE (mine)
Ex: 2008 D3 V8 HSE
EX: 2000 D2 TD5

Post #398287 14th Oct 2020 7:29 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I had it in this position for weeks when traveling, also further in. It is better closer to the windscreen, but this position is fairly ok.

I did have an issue with my Garmin 61 finding satellites, it just wouldn't find any even outside the car. I just started my way across Australia & just bought another GPS on the run, a Garmin 65 & it found satellites perfectly ok.

After our trip I did a bit of research & it was suggested to put the GPS on charge at home for 24 hours. It has seemed to help finding satellites when I tried it again.

I only found out recently that if you press & hold the signal bar in the top left corner of the Garmin the satellite info screen appears. Then the bottom left corner to return.

I did actually put in another magnet closer to the front of the trim panel. It was one of the other sizes I got, a 25mm, a bit too small in strength but borderline, but since it was a spare I put it there just in case, but then can put the screen inwards to the 32mm magnet.

I might put a bit of fabric on the bottom of the bracket. Currently if you turn the screen it turns the bracket & will ultimately scratch the trim panel.

Edit 19 July 2023: To date the bracket hasn't scratched the speaker grill. Not that I have rotated it much, but seems to be ok. I will add a bit of felt or something, but it is about on 177 position on the to do list (the first 100 are for Wifey!).

The bracket has worked out really well. The only thing I would do is add a second bracket for a second GPS for the outback as having 2 different km scales would save pressing buttons. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #398288 14th Oct 2020 8:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1