Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Garmin Sat Nav interference?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Nodge68 wrote:
Lakelander wrote:
Thanks for that.

Have come to the conclusion that the FL2 screen is making it difficult for the signal to get through.

Going to pursue two avenues

One is to update the Freelander's gen 2:1 system . It will cost about ÂŁ100. Would welcome any feedback on how worthwhile this will be?

Secondly to put a nav app on my phone and fit a phone holder. They seem to eat phone battery so would use it as a back up only when the car's system is inadequate..

Doesn't your phone have a standard mapping application?
I use Google maps, which is about the best navigation software which is bundled with a phone.

It does make a small difference to battery life, but only because the screen is illuminated while the app is running.
It's easy to plug in a USB adapter into the power socket though.

Yes my phone has Google Maps, but I do like to see the current speed limit displayed which I don't think Google Maps has this. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426559 5th Nov 2022 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Thrud

United Kingdom 

đź‘Ť

Post #426562 5th Nov 2022 7:23 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Lakelander wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Lakelander wrote:
Thanks for that.

Have come to the conclusion that the FL2 screen is making it difficult for the signal to get through.

Going to pursue two avenues

One is to update the Freelander's gen 2:1 system . It will cost about ÂŁ100. Would welcome any feedback on how worthwhile this will be?

Secondly to put a nav app on my phone and fit a phone holder. They seem to eat phone battery so would use it as a back up only when the car's system is inadequate..

Doesn't your phone have a standard mapping application?
I use Google maps, which is about the best navigation software which is bundled with a phone.

It does make a small difference to battery life, but only because the screen is illuminated while the app is running.
It's easy to plug in a USB adapter into the power socket though.

Yes my phone has Google Maps, but I do like to see the current speed limit displayed which I don't think Google Maps has this.

It does indeed, bottom left of the screen. Thumbs Up 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426564 5th Nov 2022 7:59 pm
Lakelander

I thought Google Maps just displayed your current speed but not the current speed limit ? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426567 5th Nov 2022 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

It does both.
Sometimes the displayed screen is green, but goes red over the speed limit. Other times there's a speed limit sign on the screen too.
I've not worked out the reasons for these 2 different displayed speed styles, but it definitely displays the speed.

I must admit that I don't really pay attention to the displayed speed, going by the road speed signs instead. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426571 5th Nov 2022 10:31 pm
Lakelander

Great thanks , I'll give it a try.

I have great difficulty knowing the speed limit by signs , especially when for miles there aren't any.
Not good I know but a consistent reminder is good for me which is what my Garmin does , plus camera alerts.
I will use every bit of help going! FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426572 6th Nov 2022 12:14 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

So you’d fail the theory driving test! You’re supposed to be able to infer the speed limit from the surroundings and street furniture. If the National speed limit doesn’t apply there are supposed to be repeater signs. If there are street lights and buildings the speed limit will be lower, 30 not repeated, anything else (except 20) repeated.

Post #426573 6th Nov 2022 7:33 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Lakelander wrote:
Great thanks , I'll give it a try.

I have great difficulty knowing the speed limit by signs , especially when for miles there aren't any.
Not good I know but a consistent reminder is good for me which is what my Garmin does , plus camera alerts.
I will use every bit of help going!

This and the traffic alerts on the rolling map is what I use my Garmin for.

I use my FL2 built in Sat Nav (set to destination) when on the major roads and motorways. I live next door to the one of the busiest lengths of the M5 (just south of Bristol) and have constant traffic problems, on the motorway, and spilling onto our local roads. On weekends, especially in the summer, I need all the help I can get, as I often have to creep home via the back lanes as a motorway blockage has caused the traffic to spill out through our local villages and roads, with huge tailbacks.

Bossbob, If you understand the logic of which road limits are 20mph and which are 30mph in Bristol, you must be a genius.
I find travelling through Bristol's outskirts confusing, and I grew up there.

PS I have just realised that my front and rear onboard cameras also receive GPS signals ok.

PPS Please can you all start holidaying in Scotland or the North of England or Wales. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #426576 6th Nov 2022 10:36 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

BossBob wrote:
So you’d fail the theory driving test! You’re supposed to be able to infer the speed limit from the surroundings and street furniture. If the National speed limit doesn’t apply there are supposed to be repeater signs. If there are street lights and buildings the speed limit will be lower, 30 not repeated, anything else (except 20) repeated.

If an area is designated as a Built Up Area it is not neccessarily "built up" and can be open countryside or farm land. It is the designation that counts. It will have street lights at set distances apart and is automatically a 30 mph speed limit but there will be no speed limit signs unless a higher or lower speed limit has been set then there will be the usual speed limit sign at the beginning of the limit with regular smaller repeater signs at set distances.

J

Post #426578 6th Nov 2022 11:52 am
Lakelander

BossBob wrote:

Yep I would fail !
I know of one road near Keighley where the limit changes 4 times in less than a mile and the area is festooned with street signage. I choose to concentrate on the traffic rather than inferring.
If modern technology can help , I take full advantage.
I think every car with built in Sat Nav should display the speed limit . Police wouldn't support this - too damaging to revenue ! FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426579 6th Nov 2022 12:13 pm
Thrud

United Kingdom 

When navigating use the equipment available. Given the state of our road network, I would not rely on the correct spacing of street lighting or lack of signage to keep me from being fined! Each to their own however.

Post #426581 6th Nov 2022 4:41 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Lakelander, had a thought about your problem, it may be the screen as most cars fitted with the heated screen were HSE and therefore the sun roof allowed the signal, many HSE owners carried a second GPS due to the poor performance on routing of the built in unit supplied by LR, though many XS's were fitted with the satnav possibly as a dealer order, as that was the least useful or desirable extra on offer. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #426848 15th Nov 2022 9:16 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Well that doesn’t follow as my current car has heated screen and no sunroof, just pressed steel and I have no problems with a screen mounted gps enabled Dashcam.

Last edited by BossBob on 15th Nov 2022 1:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #426849 15th Nov 2022 9:40 am
Lakelander

Dartman the one wrote:
Lakelander, had a thought about your problem, it may be the screen as most cars fitted with the heated screen were HSE and therefore the sun roof allowed the signal, many HSE owners carried a second GPS due to the poor performance on routing of the built in unit supplied by LR, though many XS's were fitted with the satnav possibly as a dealer order, as that was the least useful or desirable extra on offer.

I think for the MY13 facelifted versions, the XS all came with heated screen , heated seats , leather and sat nav as standard. They just didn't have the HSE creature comforts such as electric seats, heated steering wheel, map light, rear armrest and sunroof. They also had 17 inch wheels as std but many like mine have the 18 inch option as per the HSE. IMO the XS was quite a sweet spot in the range, having all the essentials for modern driving at a considerably lower price. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426861 15th Nov 2022 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123