Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Garmin Sat Nav interference?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have a Viofo dash cam and GPS unit which is fitted to the “frit” area around the rear view mirror. This seems to pick up gps signal quickly enough though both heated and none heated screens. My understanding is that the spotty area on the windscreen, known as “frit”, is designed to allow radio waves through specifically for GPS and tags for bridge crossings and the like.

Post #426467 2nd Nov 2022 10:41 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I seem to learn something new everyday on this forum.

I had never heard of FRITS until now, although Autoglaze don't mention any radio transmission properties.

Also the GPS wavelength is either side of 20cm so dot pattern looks a bit small to act as an aerial.

https://www.autoglaze.co.uk/ever-wondered-...n-are-for/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #426470 3rd Nov 2022 12:11 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A side topic. Decades ago when they introduced electronic toll tags to cross Sydney Harbour Bridge, cars with aerials & other wiring in the windscreen interfered with the toll signal. These cars were getting free tolls on the bridge. It took a very long time before this issue was found out.

Decades ago it wasn't your average pauper car with wiring in the windscreen. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #426472 3rd Nov 2022 1:13 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I’m pretty sure the frit doesn’t act as an aerial but is transparent to the radio frequencies used by toll tags and gps. GPS signals are going to be especially weak given that they are transmitted from orbit but they don’t contain a lot of data. Toll tags are going to be both receivers and senders but the equipment is going to be used over shorter distances.

Post #426475 3rd Nov 2022 8:13 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
GPS Re-radiating Aerial

Here's your answer although it is an illegal device in the UK.

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reradiating.php

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php...l-antenna/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #426478 3rd Nov 2022 10:58 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Garmin Sat Nav interference?

Lakelander wrote:

Here is my set up.
Just tried it again. Still won't acquire satellites when on the dash but lifted outside the car and it acquires them after 60 seconds.
Works perfectly on the dash in my Defender.?

I'll now try giving it a full overnight charge n the house.
Will let you know the outcome.

Unfortunately no improvement after full overnight charge.
Must conclude that the FL2 screen is coated or similar which is blocking the signal. Can't be just the heater element as Garmin works perfectly in our Defender which also has a heated screen.
Thanks for all your comments FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426491 3rd Nov 2022 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lakelander

Sat Nav update

Now just wondering whether the £100 ish stock upgrade to the factory Gen 2.1 sat nav is worthwhile?
Has anybody got experience of doing this? Did you notice any significant change/benefit ? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426492 3rd Nov 2022 8:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BasketBoy

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

From the Garmin support page:

Factors that May Cause the Device to be Unable to Acquire Satellites:

It may take longer than normal to acquire satellites the first time you power your device

This should not take more than 3-5 minutes if the device has a clear view of the sky
The device will not acquire satellites if the GPS Simulator is enabled
Reference your device's Owner's Manual on our Support Center for steps to verify the GPS Simulator is disabled

The device may not acquire satellites properly without a clear view of the sky

Mount the device on the windshield or dashboard for the best satellite acquisition

It may take 3-5 minutes to acquire satellites if your device has not been used for more than a month

The device may not acquire satellites indoors

Even standing next to a window indoors will block a majority of the sky which is needed for a device to acquire a satellite signal

It may take 3-5 minutes to acquire satellites if your device has traveled over 500 miles while turned off or not tracking your travel

Your device may not be able to acquire satellites if your vehicle has a protective coating on its windshield or electronic devices that may interfere with the device receiving a signal

Some vehicles are equipped with special windshields that may contain metal in the glass (metal oxide) that prevents the GPS device from having a clear line of sight to the satellites

Windshields with solar ray glass, solar tint, heated, or heat-reflective windshields and insulated or Insta-Clear glass may also affect satellite acquisition

Try taking the device outside of the vehicle with a clear view of the sky for 3-5 minutes so that the device can acquire satellites if you suspect this to be an issue

If your device loses satellites once moved back into your vehicle, this is most likely the reason

If your device is still having trouble acquiring satellites, ensure it has the latest version of operating software by following the steps in the Software section under your device in Support Center. Allow the device to acquire satellites outdoors in a stationary position with a clear view of the sky after you update. A master reset may be necessary if the issue continues. 2007 TD4 HSE

Post #426500 4th Nov 2022 1:14 am
Lakelander

Thanks for that.

Have come to the conclusion that the FL2 screen is making it difficult for the signal to get through.

Going to pursue two avenues

One is to update the Freelander's gen 2:1 system . It will cost about £100. Would welcome any feedback on how worthwhile this will be?

Secondly to put a nav app on my phone and fit a phone holder. They seem to eat phone battery so would use it as a back up only when the car's system is inadequate. I do some volunteer work ferrying people to hospital and sometimes struggle to find addresses.
Currently trying out " here we go " app. Seems good so far , failing so far to get it to play sound through the audio system via bluetooth, but not a big issue. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426528 4th Nov 2022 8:46 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Has there been a screen manufacture change, you have a 2013 model, I had no problems with a 2012 HSE with the heated screen using a Garmin Nuvi 2009 year of manufacture, is it the original screen? my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #426540 5th Nov 2022 9:01 am
Lakelander

Mine is a 2013 facelift model with the revised interior but I don't know if the screen spec changed but someone else on here doesn't have a problem with this model - although they do have a sunroof. Pretty confident mine is the original screen. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426541 5th Nov 2022 10:27 am
Thrud

United Kingdom 

2011 HSE here, with sunroof and original windscreen. Garmin 770 works perfectly in lower right hand corner of screen.

Post #426543 5th Nov 2022 10:46 am
Thrud

United Kingdom 

Edit to add, it is a heated screen

Post #426544 5th Nov 2022 10:47 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Lakelander wrote:
Thanks for that.

Have come to the conclusion that the FL2 screen is making it difficult for the signal to get through.

Going to pursue two avenues

One is to update the Freelander's gen 2:1 system . It will cost about £100. Would welcome any feedback on how worthwhile this will be?

Secondly to put a nav app on my phone and fit a phone holder. They seem to eat phone battery so would use it as a back up only when the car's system is inadequate..

Doesn't your phone have a standard mapping application?
I use Google maps, which is about the best navigation software which is bundled with a phone.

It does make a small difference to battery life, but only because the screen is illuminated while the app is running.
It's easy to plug in a USB adapter into the power socket though. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426555 5th Nov 2022 6:16 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Thrud wrote:
2011 HSE here, with sunroof and original windscreen. Garmin 770 works perfectly in lower right hand corner of screen.

The sides of the screen don't have heater elements, so is the best place to put a nav. Putting a nav in the centre, close to the glass is the worst place. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426556 5th Nov 2022 6:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>