Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 36 of 41 <123 ... 353637 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Nodge, Looking forward to your EV experience notes. I did have the Ionic 5 on my shortlist, if I ever do change from my FL2. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #441075 23rd Apr 2024 10:03 am
Mowog

I do like fossil fuel power though

Post #441076 23rd Apr 2024 10:08 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

IanMetro wrote:
Nodge, Looking forward to your EV experience notes. I did have the Ionic 5 on my shortlist, if I ever do change from my FL2.

Will do.
I had the Fisker Ocean and Ionic 5 on my list, but now Fisker aren't looking like they'll survive, it left me with just the Ionic 5.
It's a pretty nice machine, definitely a good step up from the Freelander 2. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #441080 23rd Apr 2024 5:24 pm
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:

Have you tried an EV?

I use to think fossil fuel was the power source of choice, until I drove an EV. Now to me, fossil fuel vehicles just feel so old fashioned, very noisy and very slow. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441081 23rd Apr 2024 5:27 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The motive power of BEVs is indeed very impressive - my mate's Tesla is gobsmacking.

When they have developed a FL2 equivalent with a similar towing range then I'd be more interested.

From the few public charging stations I've seen they dont seem to be catering for vehicles that are towing; the trailer or caravan would block access.

I think its more likely we'd change the Fiesta to a BEV and keep the FL2, though I think it will be a while before I could get a "Fiesta ST-like" BEV for similar money.

But I watch with great interest as the future of motoring is certainly changing. Jules

Post #441082 23rd Apr 2024 6:39 pm
Mowog

Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:

Have you tried an EV?

I use to think fossil fuel was the power source of choice, until I drove an EV. Now to me, fossil fuel vehicles just feel so old fashioned, very noisy and very slow.

Yes my neighbour has an electric MG……nuff said
Another has a thing called a Tesla……
Next door has an electric Golf….
None of them said they are particularly happy with them.

I go to Applecross 3 times a year, it’s 445 miles from Chester.
I like to do the journey non stop.
Just bought a new Mini petrol, it does 50 mpg on petrol, which is available everywhere.
It’s not noisy and not slow either, but old fashioned…..just like me. Rolling with laughter
Have you tried driving around the Scottish Highlands?
Enough stress in life without trying to find a battery charger.

Post #441083 23rd Apr 2024 6:54 pm
Nodge68

jules wrote:
The motive power of BEVs is indeed very impressive - my mate's Tesla is gobsmacking.

When they have developed a FL2 equivalent with a similar towing range then I'd be more interested.

From the few public charging stations I've seen they dont seem to be catering for vehicles that are towing; the trailer or caravan would block access.

I think its more likely we'd change the Fiesta to a BEV and keep the FL2, though I think it will be a while before I could get a "Fiesta ST-like" BEV for similar money.

But I watch with great interest as the future of motoring is certainly changing.

With EVs, if they work for the driver, then it's a brilliant way to move people and stuff about.

Range when towing is an issue, if stopping to charge isn't something that the driver wants to do.

I went for an EV because I can have hot hatch performance, in a large, very comfortable, Freelander size vehicle, yet with running costs of a moped.

As I don't tow anymore, and have no need to drive more than 250 miles in one go, there's no need to drive an expensive diesel, simply to save a 20 minute stop every 5 hours. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441084 23rd Apr 2024 7:12 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

And then they close a road and you’ve suddenly got a 60 mile detour. You certainly don’t want to be caught with range anxiety around Argyle!

Post #441085 23rd Apr 2024 7:18 pm
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:

Have you tried an EV?

I use to think fossil fuel was the power source of choice, until I drove an EV. Now to me, fossil fuel vehicles just feel so old fashioned, very noisy and very slow.

Just bought a new Mini petrol, it does 50 mpg on petrol, which is available everywhere.
It’s not noisy and not slow either, but old fashioned…..just like me. Rolling with laughter

Very odd, as 90% of EV drivers surveyed say they'll never go back to ICE vehicles.

445 miles without a stop, I'm assuming you're bladder is the size of an oil drum?

I need to stop every 2½ hours for a comfort break and a drink, so the car can have a quick charge while I'm relaxing for a while.

There are plenty of people who drive EVs that drive from the UK to France, Spain or Southern Italy for holiday's without any issues and there's plenty of charging in the Scottish Highlands too. There are currently 2286 public chargers in Scotland, with hundreds more going in every year. This doesn't include destination chargers provided by hotels, guest houses, rental properties and B&Bs.

There's so much misinformation about EVs, chargers, fires, and other FUD, it's really sad.

If diesel is your fuel of choice then that's fine, but for me, an EV is a definite step towards the future. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441086 23rd Apr 2024 7:29 pm
Nodge68

BossBob wrote:
And then they close a road and you’ve suddenly got a 60 mile detour. You certainly don’t want to be caught with range anxiety around Argyle!

No difference to having 30 miles of fuel in the tank, and no petrol stations open for 60 miles. It issue is the same regardless of fuel type used. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441087 23rd Apr 2024 7:33 pm
Mowog

Except a spare gallon of fuel in a can Rolling with laughter

Post #441088 23rd Apr 2024 7:40 pm
Mowog

Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:

Have you tried an EV?

Very odd, as 90% of EV drivers surveyed say they'll never go back to ICE vehicles.

445 miles without a stop, I'm assuming you're bladder is the size of an oil drum?
Very Happy Very Happy
I need to stop every 2½ hours for a comfort break and a drink, so the car can have a quick charge while I'm relaxing for a while.

There are plenty of people who drive EVs that drive from the UK to France, Spain or Southern Italy for holiday's without any issues and there's plenty of charging in the Scottish Highlands too. There are currently 2286 public chargers in Scotland, with hundreds more going in every year. This doesn't include destination chargers provided by hotels, guest houses, rental properties and B&Bs.

There's so much misinformation about EVs, chargers, fires, and other FUD, it's really sad.

If diesel is your fuel of choice then that's fine, but for me, an EV is a definite step towards the future.

Actually the Cooper S is a 2 litre petrol
If I stop for a pee, it takes 5 mins.

Petrol……..I love it Rolling with laughter

This doesn’t look good……

Hydro-powered electric vehicle charging in rural Scotland

Urban Foresight
https://urbanforesight.org › latest › hydro-powered-elec...
There are currently no EV charge points in Applecross or within a 25-mile radius, so it represents a strategically important position in the Scottish Highlands ...

Post #441089 23rd Apr 2024 7:43 pm
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:
Except a spare gallon of fuel in a can Rolling with laughter

That is one advantage with liquid fuel, although very few people actually carry an emergency gallon of fuel in the boot.

EVs do come with an emergency charger lead (often called a granny charger), so can be charged from a domestic 13 Amp socket if available. However at 13 Amps (actually 10A is the maximum allowed), it'll take a long time to put in 30 miles of range.

More planning of trips exceeding the maximum battery range is needed, but the savings more than make up for the occasional inconvenience EV driving creates. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441094 24th Apr 2024 8:58 am
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:

Have you tried an EV?

Very Happy Very Happy

If diesel is your fuel of choice then that's fine, but for me, an EV is a definite step towards the future.

Actually the Cooper S is a 2 litre petrol
If I stop for a pee, it takes 5 mins.

Petrol……..I love it Rolling with laughter

This doesn’t look good……

Hydro-powered electric vehicle charging in rural Scotland

Urban Foresight
https://urbanforesight.org › latest › hydro-powered-elec...
There are currently no EV charge points in Applecross or within a 25-mile radius, so it represents a strategically important position in the Scottish Highlands ...

The Cooper S is a nice car, with a proper sporty drive. I'd have one for some fun, as I'm still a petrol head. I just prefer something more relaxing and quiet as our normal family vehicle.

We're never in such a hurry as to only stop for 5 minutes.
We normally stop for about 30 minutes every 2 ½ to 3 hours, so have no need for a range of more than 250 miles in one charge. A weekly top up is all that's needed for a weeks normal running about.

Charging points are getting more abundant, even in out the way places, so the future is looking better all the time. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441096 24th Apr 2024 9:13 am
Mowog

Good luck with the new car.
Nice and quiet in the traffic jams full of emmets.

Post #441099 24th Apr 2024 9:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 36 of 41 <123 ... 353637 ... 394041>