Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 41 <123 ... 363738 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I was given a Jaguar I-Pace as a loan car for the day - I loved it - quiet, smooth, well appointed, and astonishlngly fast.

Unfortunately my wife was not so keen as it was harder to look out of and the ride was hard (my brother said I most likely had the air suspension set to sport. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #441102 24th Apr 2024 10:17 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

We got the EV bug after being a given a VW ID3 as a loan car for a fortnight while the wife's VW was in the body shop.
We were equally surprised as you, so we decided it was time to start to move away from fossil fuel vehicles. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #441106 24th Apr 2024 3:58 pm
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:
Good luck with the new car.
Nice and quiet in the traffic jams full of emmets.
Indeed, although we normally try to avoid the congestion over the summer. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441107 24th Apr 2024 4:00 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Just entered an Ioniq5 to a comparison site for insurance and it would double to over £800 compared to my Freelander. That along with range anxiety (daughter lives in Cornwall and we do 3 or more trips per annum) will stick with ICE for the forseeable. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #441108 24th Apr 2024 4:50 pm
Nodge68

The Cotswolds to Cornwall is easily covered by a modern EV, which will have an almost 300 mile range. There's no need for range anxiety at all for that trip.
Last summer we did Cornwall to Gloucester in a 58kW ID 3 (260 miles range), which was completed on a single charge with over 50 miles of range left. It was charged up overnight at our hotal, then we did a trip to Wembley stadium, then back to Cornwall with a short 20 minute charge on route.

Getting about by EV isn't anything like as bad as the media claims, with the added bonus that they cost pennies per mile to run if charged on an EV tariff at home. The ID 3 averaged nearly 4 miles to a kWhr of electricity, which at the time was costing us 28 Pence, so it worked out at 7 Pence per mile, compared to 28 Pence per mile of diesel in the Freelander, or 18 Pence per mile of diesel in the wife's Audi.

We've just signed up to an EV cheap rate tariff, which is just 7.5 Pence per kWhr, so at 3 miles per kWhr (I'm expecting the Ionic to do about 3.2), the cost per mile drops massively, to under 3 Pence per mile.
This massively reduced running cost more than makes up for a potential increase in insurance, all of which have increased this year. I've just had a quote for over £700 for the Freelander, which is exactly double last years premium, so this year it's more than the Ionic insurance.

If you want low cost motoring, the it's actually pretty impossible to beat an EV, providing it's charged on a domestic tariff. Unfortunately public charging is more expensive, but it's the exception rather than the norm for 99% of our driving. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Last edited by Nodge68 on 24th Apr 2024 6:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #441110 24th Apr 2024 5:47 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks Nodge - so we stay at my daughters and charge via 13amp supply. How long would that take to fully charge the battery?? MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #441111 24th Apr 2024 6:02 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I would say that there is 3 groups of people. 1 is the ones who love EV totally,lock stock and barrel. 2 those who are anti and are not sold on the idea at all. 3 don’t care what they drive as long as it doesn’t cost them more money or any more inconvenience then what they have at present. At the moment there is not a lot of choice of EV in the sub 5 grand bracket so that wipes out a lot of normal people in the market.

Post #441112 24th Apr 2024 6:03 pm
Mowog

How much is an ionic?
You have to factor the cost of the car into the equation
How much a mile does it cost at 50 mpg on petrol.?
Not sure if the saving is as much as you make out.
For example how much does it cost to charge other than at home?( assuming you find a charger)
I am not convinced
I prefer to decide on the model of car and not have to buy something different just cos it’s electric.

I don’t sign up to the save the World ethic when China pollutes the way it does.

Post #441113 24th Apr 2024 6:34 pm
Nodge68

tenet wrote:
Thanks Nodge - so we stay at my daughters and charge via 13amp supply. How long would that take to fully charge the battery??

First off, you'd need to get the right EV if you want to avoid range anxiety, so I'd avoid anything that has a battery of under 50 KWhr, the car we've ordered has a 77kWhr battery, with a real world summer range of about 260 miles.

Secondly yes you can charge them on a standard 13 Amp socket (the maximum charge rate is actually 10 Amps), which is the continuous rating of a 13A socket, but it is slow.
Last year we used the cooker socket the ID3, because it was actually the closest socket to the car, and it's supplied by a 10mm2 cable and 32 Amp breaker, so I didn't need to worry about overloading the ring main, which in reality was unlikely.
We didn't completely drain the battery, so it only needed topping up every other night, but it would still take some 20 hours to charge it back up to full if it had been empty.
If you definitely want to move to an EV, and you have off street parking, then it's best to have a decent wall charger installed. Not exactly cheap, but by far the safest and fastest way to charge at home. The faster home charge will make the most of an EV low cost tariff, which are only active for 4 to 7 hours per night, depending on the energy provider.

On route charging is done by a fast charger, which we found an easy experience.
We stopped at a small charger station off the A303 (I forget where now) which had a nice café and 2 X 50kW chargers. They had contactless card readers, so it was just a case of scan a debit card, follow the on screen prompts, check charging had started, then went into the café for a coffee and a pee. Once we'd finished drinking and were all comfortable again, the car had more than enough range to get us the rest of the way home. One thing to note, we didn't waste time charging on the way home, as we'd have stopped anyway, as I like to have a break every 2 to 3 hours, so the car was charging while we were doing something we would have been doing anyway.
I'm sure not all charging stops will be that easy, but for our first experience of it, it was a real eye opener compared to what we'd heard over the previous couple of years.

We went for the Ionic 5 because it was the only EV that the wife liked the look of, which was similar in size to the Freelander.
I'd have been more than happy with the Cupra Born, but it wasn't quite large enough to accommodate all we needed, so the Ionic 5 it was.

We worked out very carefully just how much it was all going to cost, compared to the fuel savings, also factoring in that the Freelander is almost at the end of its economic life, so would need replacing in the next year or two anyway.

I'm glad we chose the Ionic 5, as it's an absolutely amazing vehicle, absolutely lightyears ahead of the Freelander it'll be replacing.

Once we've put some miles on it, I'll report back. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441115 24th Apr 2024 7:02 pm
Nodge68

Just a driver wrote:
I would say that there is 3 groups of people. 1 is the ones who love EV totally,lock stock and barrel. 2 those who are anti and are not sold on the idea at all. 3 don’t care what they drive as long as it doesn’t cost them more money or any more inconvenience then what they have at present. At the moment there is not a lot of choice of EV in the sub 5 grand bracket so that wipes out a lot of normal people in the market.

I'd mostly agree with that.
I was quite anti-EV when the only option was the horrible Nissan Leaf, with a range little better than a bike ride.
However in the last few years, the whole sector has moved on, and more appealing and more capable vehicles are now available.

We have a his and hers car, no choice as we work in different places at different times. So I have the Freelander which doubles as the family bus, and the wife an Audi A5 convertible, which she uses to run the kids all over.
I’ve always been a petrol head (diesel head latterly) but still ICE.
It wasn't until we were given an EV for a couple of weeks that I experienced just how good they were, and cheap to run too.

I do like an engaging drive, and found the ID3 a bit lacking in that department. However the Cupra Born was so much better, fast, nippy, great to chuck about, i was sort of hooked.

Unfortunately the Born just won't work for us now, as we need the space, so the only other choice was the Ionic 5, which while not as fun to drive as the Cupra, it's still really good.

Yes I agree there's nothing at £5k at the moment, except an old Leaf, which is a shame.

The normal way to get an EV is to lease them, which is what we've done. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441117 24th Apr 2024 7:27 pm
Mowog

I like to buy vehicles outright
I need to have an idea of the residual in say 5 years.
Finding it a bit hard to work this out with an EV.
What’s the Ionic going to be worth in 5 years?
For example the mini list price was 32,900
Paid 31,000
I know what it will be worth in 5 years
Of course I could just keep it for 10 years
But I can’t imagine buying an ev then worrying about the battery replacement.

Post #441118 24th Apr 2024 7:44 pm
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:
How much is an ionic?
You have to factor the cost of the car into the equation
How much a mile does it cost at 50 mpg on petrol.?
Not sure if the saving is as much as you make out.
For example how much does it cost to charge other than at home?( assuming you find a charger)
I am not convinced
I prefer to decide on the model of car and not have to buy something different just cos it’s electric.

I don’t sign up to the save the World ethic when China pollutes the way it does.

How much it costs in petrol at 50 MPG is irrelevant to me, because the vehicle I'm replacing with an EV doesn't do 50 MPG, it does 28 MPG of diesel, which costs 28 pence per mile at current prices.

The EV will cost under 3 Pence per mile when charged at home on cheap night rate, so the saving is huge, like 1/10 of the cost.

Charging away from home is a rarity, to the point of almost irrelevance. However it does cost more to charge at a public charger, but like I said it'll be the exception.

You don't have to buy an EV that isn't available in a petrol or diesel, but they're seriously compromised.

A ground up EV body design isn't dictated by an engine placement or fuel tank location, or even wheel location.
The battery lives under the floor, leaving a completely flat floor inside, so no pointless hump in the centre to get in the way. The Ionic 5 has more leg room than a Range Rover, as the wheels are pushed right to the corners. The wheel base is 3000mm, compared to the Freelander's 2660mm, all that extra space is there for the occupants.

I didn't order an EV to save the planet. I ordered one because I like the space, silence and low running costs, while having the acceleration of a hot hatch when needed. Reducing my CO2 burden on the planet is an added benefit of driving an EV.

China has invested more money in green energy infrastructure each year for the last 5 years than all of Europe, and the USA combined.
The Chinese government know that energy security is vital, especially as they have limited availability of oil in China, so they're spending nearly 900 billion dollars on green energy generation infrastructure every year. This has resulted in a drop in greenhouse gas emmisions from China, who's goal is to produce less than the USA, but it'll be a few years off yet.

It's very unfair to point a finger at China for high production of CO2, when most manufacturers in the West are having their products made in China because it's cheaper.
If the same products were made in the West, the CO2 emissions in Western countries would be significantly higher. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441120 24th Apr 2024 9:36 pm
Nodge68

Mowog wrote:
I like to buy vehicles outright
I need to have an idea of the residual in say 5 years.
Finding it a bit hard to work this out with an EV.
What’s the Ionic going to be worth in 5 years?
For example the mini list price was 32,900
Paid 31,000
I know what it will be worth in 5 years
Of course I could just keep it for 10 years
But I can’t imagine buying an ev then worrying about the battery replacement.

It depends on the vehicle you buy.
Some EVs aren't loosing much money at all, but others are loosing half their money in 18 months.
To me it seems that Stillantis group car's, EV and ICE loose the most.
Anything Korean seems to be loosing the least. A 2 ½ year old Ionic 5 seems to have lost about 30 % of its new price, which is pretty normal for any second hand vehicle.

Battery life is irrelevant, as a modern EV battery will last as long as the body. Manufacturers are giving EV batteries 7 and 8 year warranties because they know they're very reliable items. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #441122 24th Apr 2024 9:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

From what I read, EVs charge quickest and most efficiently between 10% and 80% of their capacity.

So the best answer for tea/comfort break, realistic charging time, range once away from home is within these figures.

So what you should be looking at if buying to meet your travel needs is;

Initial range from 100% Home charging, say to 10% charge left,

Then, time to charge (and additional range) 10% to 80%.

Looking at it this way, a quick coffee (+?), once or twice on a long journey, now and again, isn't worth worrying about.

Its that final last 20% (constant voltage) charging that takes forever. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #441127 25th Apr 2024 10:01 am
Mowog

Well I am defo. In the petrol camp until I see chargers as frequent as petrol stations.

My neighbour just returned from a cruise from Southampton
The hotel in the New Forest he booked on the way down forgot to tell him that the chargers don’t work.
The hotel chef arranged for an emergency lead to be plugged in around the back by the kitchen entrance.

NOT the experience he was hoping for.
Stress to start the holiday, the return journey was not much better, struggling to find a charger.

When I hear stories like this……………….

Post #441131 25th Apr 2024 10:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 37 of 41 <123 ... 363738 394041>