Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Are EVs for the well heeled?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Yes I see that and it will be paid for by us as the cost of motoring is put on the ICE owners.

When do we get nuclear units

Post #417399 21st Jan 2022 9:25 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

How long do you need to keep a EV to offset the environmental cost of production?

Post #417412 21st Jan 2022 2:55 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

from auto express

Polestar says manufacturing a 2 creates 24 tonnes of CO2e (CO2 equivalents), compared with just 14 tonnes of CO2e to make a petrol-engined XC40. This extra CO2 is largely attributable to the production of the battery pack needed for the EV. Depending on the source of power used to charge the Polestar during its lifetime, the EV will eventually offset the XC40’s lower manufacturing CO2 footprint, becoming the ‘greener’ of the two cars.

In an ideal world, with the Polestar charged using entirely renewable wind power, a driver would still need to travel 31,000 miles before the EV’s carbon footprint becomes smaller than the petrol XC40’s. This wind-powered scenario would involve just 0.4 tonnes of carbon being released over 125,000 miles of travel.

If the 2 is charged from what Polestar calls the ‘European grid’ – the average electricity mix across 28 countries – the EV has to travel 50,000 miles before its lifetime carbon footprint is lower than the petrol XC40’s.

Clearly, the mix of wind and nuclear power across Europe significantly helps to reduce the CO2 load when recharging an EV. Polestar’s calculations, based on the average global energy mix, show it would take 70,000 miles before the 2 had a CO2 advantage over the petrol XC40. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #417417 21st Jan 2022 5:28 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Boxbrownie wrote:
Andy131 wrote:

A car is not merely a means of transport, it is an art form, it is a sanctuary, it is a soundtrack for the soul - possibly biased.

And you drive a Disco Sport? Whistle

I thought you might have a Bugatti Royale? Rolling with laughter

OOOh that hurts, why on earth would I want an overpriced VW?

Very Happy Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #417430 21st Jan 2022 10:24 pm
pinhead

Sidthecat wrote:
@ pinhead
I live in SE London in the middle of a Victorian terrace, no driveways, we legally park two wheels on the pavement, barely room at the front for a dustbin so no possibility whatsoever of installing a charging point. Bearing that in mind everything else becomes irrelevant

Ah but as you live in London you have charge points all over the place
You even get congestion charge exemption for an ev and cut price parking surly that must be a huge benefit?

Post #417435 22nd Jan 2022 9:24 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks chickengeorge.
The reason i ask is due to car buying behaviour....and also the industries take on new car buying (the second influences the first!) and in particular the tendency to buy or renew a car every 3 years (also consider leasing here).
So the question will be:
is it the case that the first person to buy a brand new EV will not probably see the supposed green benefit of purchasing such a vehicle?
If this is the case to be more green (if that is the correct expression) you should buy second hand and at least 2-3yrs old Shocked

Post #417437 22nd Jan 2022 9:55 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I doubt Sid has a diesel pump on the pavement by his house, which sort of torpedoes that argument too. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #417438 22nd Jan 2022 10:00 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

pinhead wrote:
Sidthecat wrote:
@ pinhead
I live in SE London in the middle of a Victorian terrace, no driveways, we legally park two wheels on the pavement, barely room at the front for a dustbin so no possibility whatsoever of installing a charging point. Bearing that in mind everything else becomes irrelevant

Ah but as you live in London you have charge points all over the place
You even get congestion charge exemption for an ev and cut price parking surly that must be a huge benefit?

Not sure which part of London you’ve been to or seen on the tv that’s littered with charge points? Council have in the past six months installed three (yes 3!!) points about 1/2 mile away but these are regularly being used by anybody that needs a parking space; yet to see a vehicle there being charged. Not too practical then for me or my neighbours

Post #417443 22nd Jan 2022 11:52 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

See that's the problem - we have all been lied to by the TV.

London is all like Downing street, good parking and a Policeman on every street corner.
Yorkshire is like Emmerdale - all countryside and Range Rovers.
Lancashire (& Manchester) is like Coronation Street - cobbled streets and terraced houses.
Cheshire is full of swimming pools.
And in Cornwall it is sunshine every day and every adult male is a fisherman.

In truth every large conurbation will have terraced houses, where parking is a nightmare and on-street charging a pipe dream. It will also have housing with driveways where charging at home is practical. There will always be families (and elderly people on there own for that matter) who live outside the major towns who have the option of drive or be stranded by Censored local transport.

Try making a sensible transport policy that is acceptable to most with that mix. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #417445 22nd Jan 2022 12:38 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

We also need to ask what happens when there isn’t any electricity? Storm Arwen might have been an anomaly but there were people who had no power for four or more days in freezing temperatures and they weren’t necessarily out in the sticks. Single minded moves to a single source of power is asking to fail. Working in IT, I still carry around a pen and paper.

Post #417446 22nd Jan 2022 2:12 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Have a standby Petrol or a Diesel generator ! ! ! 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #417447 22nd Jan 2022 2:47 pm
chicken george

In a storm arwen situation a power cut would likely put your local petrol station out of action, so follow the ev cars to a place that has electricity. If you have fuel that is, most ev drivers would have fully charged upon seeing the adverse weather forecast,. 200+mile range should get them to civilisation, maybe one will bring a jerry can back for you. At work
At home

Post #417449 22nd Jan 2022 3:39 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I've often wondered if the EV lack of range could be solved by towing a small generator/battery trailer behind the car.

Not that practical, but probably a more realistic dream than a countrywide network of fast chargers with cheap electricity, or enough local parking spaces with facilities for electric charging at normal household prices.

To me it seems that (ignoring tax advantages as a private buyer) Battery Electric and Plug In Hybrid cars are still more expensive to buy AND run than a good old plain Diesel.

It even seems that you are encouraged not to keep your battery fully charged, so will be easily caught out by having to run a sudden errand outside your local area. (In a diesel you could just nip to Tesco's and top up in a few minutes.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-quest...ur-battery FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #417450 22nd Jan 2022 3:49 pm
chicken george

range for unexpected trips yes and no, if really caught out then maybe a 20 minute charge would be enough to get you home.

I have the luxury of a second car so would use that in such unexpected events, otherwise plan ahead and set of on full charge, 240 ish miles is fairly decent in real life scenarios At work
At home

Post #417457 22nd Jan 2022 4:55 pm
Dartman the one

England 

One suposes for on street parking for street fronted housing an overhead system could be used based on a hinged cantelever gantry.
Regarding the towing of a generator, one could carry a small one in the boot for emergencies, in Scotand for the recent COP 26 diesel generators were installed at some of the hotels to charge the courtesy cars the delegates used to travel the 30 odd miles to Glasgow, one assumes they were on shuttle runs as the Tesla's being used would have the range to make multiple journeys. It's great being politically green without being practical Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #417459 22nd Jan 2022 5:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>