Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Are EVs for the well heeled?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

At the moment, the figures for going to EV if you currently own an ICE don't stack up, unless you do lots of miles. However at some point in the future, EVs will be cheaper to buy, which makes them a more attractive proposition to those that do fewer miles.
There's no denieing that air quality is improved where large numbers of EVs are used in urban areas, which is a good reason to use them.
Reducing pollution in urban areas reduces hospitalisation of residents due to reduced respiratory ailments, which saves the NHS money.
The main benefits of going EV are reduced fueling and maintenance costs, both of which are minimal compared to an equivalent ICE vehicle. This is appealing enough for many to go EV on their next car, but again it does depend on the mileage driven as to whether it makes financial sense.

For me, I like the idea of zero emissions from the vehicle, and the complete lack of engine noise is good too.
Having driven quite a few EVs, I don't find them offensive at all, and to be honest, an ICE vehicle feels rather old fashioned by comparison.
However for me at the moment, replacing my useful Freelander with an EV just doesn't make sense, either functionally or financially. The Freelander is just too capable in every respect, that there's really nothing on the market that is directly equivalent, not unless I drop upwards of £50k on a vehicle, which for the 5k miles I do a year, makes no sense at all. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #433174 7th Jun 2023 10:57 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

This is the kind of news that makes me wonder if the EV path is going to be slower and longer than the government (and society?) has planned.

EV Batteries are proving to be more difficult and expensive to be a mass power source.

Rolls Royce and Tecnam will have thought for a long time before scrapping this EV project.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ad...c-aircraft FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #433367 15th Jun 2023 9:03 pm
Nodge68

Battery technology is advancing all the time, so it wouldn't be long until more energy dense chemistries come along. We already have chemistries that allow 3000 plus cycles or more with little degradation, so more energy density batteries will come.

Don't forget that the internal combustion engine has had over 150 years of development, but hasn't made any significant advances in the last 25 years or so.
BEV batteries have been about for under 15 years, and have advanced massively in that time.

I'm optimistic that battery technology will deliver more than enough power density for the planet's requirements. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #433383 16th Jun 2023 4:47 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Had a go in a friend's new Model Y yesterday. It was a lovely driving experience. Plenty of carrying capacity. My friend has it as a company car because of the tax situation and the Tesla charging system, which he says is the best by far . He charges at home and occasionally on the public Tesla chargers. He was a Volvo man previously and feels its not as well made as the Volvo but is pretty good.
I think he borrows his dad's car to tow their caravan.

I just need to wait for the cheaper, lighter and faster charging version before SWMBO will consider one. Jules

Post #433403 18th Jun 2023 7:29 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The battery powered aircraft has one big problem which is constant battery weight. By comparison a conventional plane gets lighter as the fuel is used up and which is factored into the usable range. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #433465 20th Jun 2023 9:40 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Don't be first in line for maiden flight!!

Post #433482 20th Jun 2023 4:01 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Interesting article regarding the massive fall in secondhand EV's in past 6 months.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/art...sktop_home MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #433930 8th Jul 2023 10:09 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Inevitable as some of the supply issues that were propping up used values fall away. 2 year old Polestar 2 can be had for £30k with modest miles, which seems about right once you strip away the covid premium.

On a side note, the Daily Heil *really* hates EVs. You'd be forgiven for thinking the paper was owned by old money that's deeply invested in oil, commercial property portfolios, traditional hospitality services..... Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #433931 8th Jul 2023 11:14 am
Nodge68

I'm glad the prices of used EVs are dropping. I've seen locally (prices in Cornwall are always higher) than the Gen2 Nissan Leaf is loosing money particularly quickly. I've seen 3 year old Gen2s with under 15k on the clock sale for under £15k, which is about ½ the new price.
Ok the Gen2 leaf is pretty poor in performance and range compared to newer rivals, but its a way that normal drivers can afford to get a reasonably well equipped BEV, for not much money, even if it's only really suitable for around town running about.

I pretty much take anything from the media with a pinch of salt, as I'm sure pretty much all of those outlets are in some way financed by oil money, as suggested above. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #433936 8th Jul 2023 12:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011