Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV First Impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Very hard to say. The Colt company, who is responsible for Mitsubishi in the UK has assured all owners that servicing and parts will still be available for at least 10 years. I think most of the current dealers will convert to other brands but retain their service ability. I believe a few already have.

So only time will tell. On one hand having to drive a bit further for an annual service is fair enough if the car is reliable enough that you don't really need parts all that often. It was a gamble I was willing to take. Fingers crossed it was the right one. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #411807 27th Aug 2021 9:15 pm
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

Had the opportunity to park my Freelander close to a PHEV over the weekend, thought it interesting to compare them.

The F2 seems quite compact in comparison, thou still not yet been in or driven a PHEV to know if that's the case from behind the wheel. Andrew

Post #412113 8th Sep 2021 9:57 pm
Chuckalicious

I'd say driving position is very similar - I don't feel low down or have my view limited at all.

In terms of usable space, I'd say the Outlander is bigger inside than the FL2. Ground clearance on the Outlander isn't as good as the FL2, so something to bear in mind.

Worked out the other day (apologies if I've said this already) but in the 1000+ miles I've done since I got it, I've spent £50 in electricity, put £20 of petrol in, which is still there, compared to about £190 in the FL2 or DS that I had, at generous MPG over multiple short journeys. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #412114 8th Sep 2021 10:08 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

I'm following this thread with interest - it will become necessary at some point to consider a replacement for the FL2 Crying or Very sad

The costs so far for you are looking great Chuck, but I wonder if the lack of use of the petrol in tank might lead to increased (over time - as it sits there unused) absorption of water & subsequent separation of said water in the tank - which will presumably be a bigger problem with E10 than E5.

I imagine the mixing due to vehicle motion will help mitigate this to some extent but I'd be interested in members thoughts on if that will be enough to avoid issues? 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #412123 9th Sep 2021 8:43 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

"it will become necessary at some point to consider a replacement for the FL2"

For me it will be question of how long can I keep her going - hopefully a long time - only did 5K miles in here last year and 90% were long journeys and/or towing.
Currently there is no car out there that takes my fancy as a FL2 replacement.

I like the concept of the Grenadier but its still far off being a real deal.

Meanwhile the FL2 is holding its value well (WBAC says £15650).
But of course the world is mad at the moment.
WBAC have offered £2K more for our Fiesta ST than I paid for it 18 months ago !! - such is the shortage of new car components. Jules

Post #412129 9th Sep 2021 9:34 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

PRadd wrote:
I'm following this thread with interest - it will become necessary at some point to consider a replacement for the FL2 Crying or Very sad

The costs so far for you are looking great Chuck, but I wonder if the lack of use of the petrol in tank might lead to increased (over time - as it sits there unused) absorption of water & subsequent separation of said water in the tank - which will presumably be a bigger problem with E10 than E5.

I imagine the mixing due to vehicle motion will help mitigate this to some extent but I'd be interested in members thoughts on if that will be enough to avoid issues?

Mitsubishi have already thought about this and forces the Outlander PHEV to use fuel after a while.

You must put 15 litres of fuel into an Outlander PHEV approximately every 3 months. Failure to do this will result in it running in charge mode to use up the old fuel. This "feature" is stated in the manual on p. 6-33.

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2852

PS the Outlander PHEV forum is an excellent place to start getting to know which model/year is the right one to choose.
It was an early attempt at PHEV vehicles and it developed quickly as Mitsubishi listened to the owners comments and wish list. Later models had much better control over mode of running and better equipment and trim.

I think that I would have bought one (instead of my FL2 Metro) if the dealership had been a bit more impressive, knowledgeable, and interested in the PHEV. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 9th Sep 2021 2:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #412131 9th Sep 2021 10:13 am
Chuckalicious

You got there before me - the car will run the engine when it feels it needs to, to ensure old fuel is not an issue. It's really very well thought out when you think about it. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #412134 9th Sep 2021 1:30 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

It sounds very well thought out indeed Thumbs Up

I'm about the same as you Jules - hoping I can make the FL2 last a long time, but I do like a backup plan Rolling with laughter 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #412161 10th Sep 2021 2:32 pm
Chuckalicious

Thought I'd post another update to keep this going.

So far, I love the Outlander. Absolutely flawless so far. Electric range still very much suits my usage but there's no range anxiety due to the engine being there ready to go.

It's still not a FL2. I still miss that car. Deep puddles scare me a bit more now, but the Outlander has done very well in snowy and icy conditons.

The biggest surprise between the FL2 and the Outlander is the amount of internal.space. The rear passengers have more space than the FL2 and the boot is cavernous, with no lips or steeply sloping sides. I cannot believe what I've gotten in so far.

Lastly, with the increases in electricity prices and fuel prices, it's still slightly cheaper to run on electric than on petrol, but the difference is not as great as it was.

Still 100% the right choice, but wouldn't say no to an FL2 sitting on the drive as a "backup" 😎 Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #420467 19th Apr 2022 12:32 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

The other issue not mentioned is the cost to buy or lease compared to ICE car.
This cost with the need to have at home charging means that this may put many off.
So ill keep the freelander which only costs for fuel, road tax, insurance and maintenance but not cost to lease or buy which is by far the biggest monthly outlay.

Post #420475 19th Apr 2022 6:07 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Your Freelander was free? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #420480 19th Apr 2022 9:16 pm
Chuckalicious

AT1963 wrote:
The other issue not mentioned is the cost to buy or lease compared to ICE car.
This cost with the need to have at home charging means that this may put many off.
So ill keep the freelander which only costs for fuel, road tax, insurance and maintenance but not cost to lease or buy which is by far the biggest monthly outlay.

Totally. Hybrids and BEV are more costly at the moment, can't argue with that. However they are becoming more cost effective as time goes on. But your argument is only really valid if you've already paid off your current car. Lease costs would be there for any new car, ICE or not.

Also, the home charging isn't really an issue for Outlander owners. It comes with a charger that plugs into a normal mains socket. Some people run extensions, some people run a dedicated socket outside, which I did. You don't need a big fancy charging pod like you do with other electric vehicles.

So it won't fit all needs/uses, no argument there. But it certainly does the job well for some. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #420486 20th Apr 2022 11:31 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

most EV's come with a household charger, people fit wall boxes for high charge speeds, either for speed or to make better use of the cheap rate night tarriff.

If your not travelling far daily then a house socket charger is fine At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #420491 20th Apr 2022 4:15 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

At the moment i owe nothing on any car so only costs i incur are tax/insurance/fuel/maintenance.
So i am reluctant to spend any more and see unnecessary car purchases as madness in current cost of living crisis.
The other thing for me is the sound of the engine which i personally like which is part of the attraction of ICE cars.
However there are some lovely designed EVs out there....i just wish they had a combustion engine Rolling with laughter

Post #420493 20th Apr 2022 4:38 pm
Chuckalicious

AT1963 - the Outlander does have an engine, and it makes a noise 😎 Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #420494 20th Apr 2022 5:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>