Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV First Impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
pinhead

Sidthecat wrote:
Interesting read - I'm in that 'should we stick or change' situation with ULEZ rapidly approaching us in October. My problem is that we have no parking at home so no facility to charge - nearest points are at local retail park about 5 miles away Laughing
How we're all supposed to be going electric heaven only knows Censored

Your case is the biggest issue for adoption of EV's
I can see properties with off street parking becoming a lot more valuable in future because of this
It all depends on how many miles you do as to weather its possible to go ev
Can you charge at your workplace?

Post #410167 14th Jul 2021 7:50 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Public charges are generally much more expensive than home charging, my local bp charge is 35p/kw. I used it as a test, putting £1s worth in. At 35p you might as well drive an ice car, unless tax etc reasons come into the mix also

Ok you can charge for free at tesco etc , but at a 7kw charge rate your not going to gain much unless you tend to shop for 5 or 6 hours at a time At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #410168 14th Jul 2021 8:02 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

pinhead wrote:
Sidthecat wrote:
Interesting read - I'm in that 'should we stick or change' situation with ULEZ rapidly approaching us in October. My problem is that we have no parking at home so no facility to charge - nearest points are at local retail park about 5 miles away Laughing

I can see properties with off street parking becoming a lot more valuable in future because of this

Retired recently - my main concern is not so much about mileage etc but the ULEZ coming into force late-October. The nearest 'entry' point to me is the south circular just two miles away which would impact on some of the shopping parks we use, and routes we take on days out, travelling and such. It's possible to shop elsewhere and take different routes but it's all a bit of a pita really Sad
Our option I suppose is to buy a newer 'qualifying' vehicle or self-charging hybrid. All costs money . . . . .

Post #410177 14th Jul 2021 9:36 pm
pinhead

chicken george wrote:
Public charges are generally much more expensive than home charging, my local bp charge is 35p/kw. I used it as a test, putting £1s worth in. At 35p you might as well drive an ice car, unless tax etc reasons come into the mix also

Ok you can charge for free at tesco etc , but at a 7kw charge rate your not going to gain much unless you tend to shop for 5 or 6 hours at a time

Yes charging away from home is expensive and very little cost difference to an ice car but at 35p it will still be slightly cheaper for a like for like vehicle
But if you can charge at home I bet 90% of the population will never actually need to charge elsewhere
The sort of trips people claim they do or may do to justify why a battery electric car will never work is often that far fetched its actually quite funny
I have seen a study and I am not sure where the data was from but as a manufacturer tesla's covered more miles a year on average than any other make and it was by a huge margin so it cannot be all that bad

There are definitely a lot of hurdles to electric transportation but after 3 years of ownership I woukd say if you can charge at hime or another place you regularly park for a long time you a virtually there

Post #410178 14th Jul 2021 9:56 pm
pinhead

Sidthecat wrote:
pinhead wrote:
Sidthecat wrote:

Retired recently - my main concern is not so much about mileage etc but the ULEZ coming into force late-October. The nearest 'entry' point to me is the south circular just two miles away which would impact on some of the shopping parks we use, and routes we take on days out, travelling and such. It's possible to shop elsewhere and take different routes but it's all a bit of a pita really Sad
Our option I suppose is to buy a newer 'qualifying' vehicle or self-charging hybrid. All costs money . . . . .

Yes its all money unfortunately and I feel your pain
I live in rural North Yorkshire and have no congestion or low emissions zone anywhere around me but if I had the man maths used to justify the purchase would have been a hell of a lot easier
As it is though a high milage driver that can charge at home running an ev is getting close in total cost of ownership to bangarnomics and beats running a decent modern diesel hands down

Post #410179 14th Jul 2021 10:03 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I think that we are drifting a long way from the original post, that of a Mitsi PHEV vs DS ICE

There are people with a view that electric is the way to go and no amount of common sense Shocked will change their minds.
There are also some that wouldn't have an electric car if they were giving them away Mr. Green , and a few with an open mind.

I think that this discussion deserves a new topic. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #410181 14th Jul 2021 10:19 pm
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Interesting that the OT PHEV (sort of) falls into the same category as I had the RX45O in- and I swung by my local Volvo dealer today— Volvo’s view for my case was the same on their plug-in XC60 & XC90 as Chuckalicious was saying about his OT PHEV- not the best option in my particular case- go for a smaller engined diesel -fair enough….

Mind you, my personal preferences are not helping - Many have said go Tesla , I drove a model S onto a busy M1 in amongst the HGV’s and remained convinced that scraping my btm along the floor when compared to the SUV driving position was not for me. Neither was the price point on their bigger model X… where doing the 30k miles in a year on a new Model X would depreciate it by more than a 2014 30,000 mile RX450h ( albeit older model/shape) to buy outright… And I won’t burn that buy price difference in diesel or petrol, so I reckon I have my answer- hope my Freely breaks 175,000 miles without trouble, that’ll be cheapest of all for me! Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #410184 14th Jul 2021 10:54 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Andy131 wrote:
I think that we are drifting a long way from the original post, that of a Mitsi PHEV vs DS ICE

There are people with a view that electric is the way to go and no amount of common sense Shocked will change their minds.
There are also some that wouldn't have an electric car if they were giving them away Mr. Green , and a few with an open mind.

I think that this discussion deserves a new topic.

Not so sure we are? OP put forward his case for why he chose the car he did; we’re simply commenting on that choice and how it might affect us

Post #410186 15th Jul 2021 7:13 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I know what you mean, but I do agree this has veered away from if the OL is a good move to the pros and cons of EVs. I haven't helped with that Laughing

It's all good chat though Thumbs Up Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #410187 15th Jul 2021 7:30 am
chicken george

If it helps my mate had a mitsi phev, it kept going into sleep mode whilst driving and shuttting down.
After many roadside recoveries and courtesy cars he offloaded the thing. Mitsubishi had no idea how to fix it.
He says the only good thing is that he now knows the first names of all the local AA guys At work
At home

Post #410194 15th Jul 2021 8:15 am
Chuckalicious

Never a good thing to read :-/ however hopefully those are few and far between. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #410195 15th Jul 2021 8:18 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It sounds like either your calcs are out, your paying far too much for your sparks or the OL is very inefficient using the electric motor.
A 20 mile trip in our i3 would cost about 77p @ 15.4p per kwh on the granny charger, it runs normally at about 4 miles per kwh of juice.

I cannot imagine the OL would be £3.50p for 20 miles, sounds expensive.

We test drove one when they first came out but we were put off by the auto transmission being CVT, and the strange engine noise and power delay of those types of transmission (same as the Toyota Hybrid stuff).

They are nice cars, and very practical, roomy and most of all very reliable Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410239 16th Jul 2021 10:20 am
Chuckalicious

Think you're misunderstanding - the Discovery Sport would have cost me roughly £3.50 for the 20 mile trip. The Outlander does that and more in one charge which costs about £1.30.

The Outlander is also significantly larger than I i3 (I think) so far heavier so you wouldn't expect the same miles per kWh. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #410245 16th Jul 2021 11:23 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Aha OK. Gotcha…..thought that was a bit off…..unfortunately weight/size/etc makes only a small difference to KWh, it’s how well the vehicles battery management and motor efficiency is designed makes the big difference.

Funnily enough I just went for some bread and while waiting outside the bakery a chap in a Golf asks a few questions about the i3 as he was leaving, main,y range and stuff but when I said it costs about 3p a mile to run he almost fell out of his seat…..I found out why as he drove off he was driving an R32 Golf, must have been the bit about me saying the 0-60 is seven seconds, his R32 is only half a second faster Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410247 16th Jul 2021 12:12 pm
chicken george

filled up the car today, outside my house using solar energy, what could be easier? At work
At home

Post #410254 16th Jul 2021 3:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>