« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV First Impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Filling up at the local Texaco?

Tomorrow I need to drag the caravan 325 miles to drop it onsite - they wouldn't give me anything back when I told them that the wife had died so I will block the pitch to stop them robbing me. the next day I will drive the 325 miles back. Repeat the trip next weekend.

My point is the only true battery car that can tow is the Tesla X, this has a range of 100 miles towing my 1350kg van. The caravan site doesn't have charging facilities. so a 7 hour trip there will take maybe 13 hours, and I will need to recharge while having a long meal break in Cornwall for the trip home, so 9 hours home.

Hybrids tend to be petrol, so far thirstier than my dirty diesel towing - maybe Chicken George will get his way and caravans will disappear when you are all forced to drive electric. Shocked Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #410265 16th Jul 2021 6:36 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Electric car or caravan ?
O to 60 in 4.5 seconds vs. 60! Are you insane!! She'll ner take it man

Tough choice Whistle

Can you not report the miserable bastrds to the camping,caravan gypsies,tramps and thieves association?
Make sure your portapotty tank doesnt leak outside their office as you leave, it needs to be inside the office. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #410266 16th Jul 2021 6:57 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Andy131 wrote:
Filling up at the local Texaco?

Tomorrow I need to drag the caravan 325 miles to drop it onsite - they wouldn't give me anything back when I told them that the wife had died so I will block the pitch to stop them robbing me. the next day I will drive the 325 miles back. Repeat the trip next weekend.

My point is the only true battery car that can tow is the Tesla X, this has a range of 100 miles towing my 1350kg van. The caravan site doesn't have charging facilities. so a 7 hour trip there will take maybe 13 hours, and I will need to recharge while having a long meal break in Cornwall for the trip home, so 9 hours home.

Hybrids tend to be petrol, so far thirstier than my dirty diesel towing - maybe Chicken George will get his way and caravans will disappear when you are all forced to drive electric. Shocked

I didn’t realise this was a thread about which energy source was better? Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410284 17th Jul 2021 6:06 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Non of them are better, it depends on your usage, lots of local running up to 60 mile radius and a smallish car then electric, longer journey bigger car not towing the hybrid petrol or diesel, towing is diesel if you can afford it then hybrid diesel anything with room and long range electric is very expensive. Should you wish to preserve the planet and be green then you will have to change your life style Crying or Very sad my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #410286 17th Jul 2021 7:38 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Totally correct Dartman, there is no one size fits all.

But so far, in terms of the OL, it fits me great. Did a longer run yesterday of about 60 miles at which point it used the petrol engine a lot more. Got a bit of a fright at how quickly the fuel guage went down until I learned that the tank is significantly smaller than a standalone ICE car 😂😂

Averaged about 66% electric driving and petrol use was about 46mpg according to the internal car stats, which even if rough, isn't bad. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #410308 18th Jul 2021 12:40 pm
Boxbrownie

Exactly correct, irks me when people love to jump on the “wouldn’t work for me” bandwagon on any thread at all regarding EVs, they are not the panacea to all motoring ills but for some they are perfect, and for the rest they will have to be eventually Whistle

After all this was a thread about the findings of a member’s new Hybrid ride, not a debate about it being better than a Freelander. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410327 18th Jul 2021 6:26 pm
chicken george

Straying further off topic

https://m.facebook.com/PeeweeHerman/videos...d&_rdr At work
At home

Post #410336 18th Jul 2021 8:48 pm
Boxbrownie

Now that’s funny in an ingenious sort of way, never seen that before although the “fifth wheel” on the pick up truck flatbed is very popular in the states and gaining popularity elsewhere. Regards

David

Post #410349 19th Jul 2021 9:23 am
chicken george

one of my contractors has a fifth wheel trailer on the flat bed of a light mitsihubishi flat bed truck , fancy arrangement for the inertia brakes built in to the hitch.

not sure is the above beetle has trailer brakes At work
At home

Post #410365 19th Jul 2021 1:57 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The Americans use electric brakes with a potentiometer to set the sensitivity from the foot brake pedal, a far better system than our override brakes, it also has an override switch to brake the trailer alone which can kill a snake. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #410380 19th Jul 2021 6:36 pm
Chuckalicious

Thought I'd provide another update on the transition to a hybrid vehicle.

Simply put, the Outlander PHEV is a really good car. It's comfortable, spacious (have done a few trips to the tip and with the seats down has as much room as the FL2 had and more than the Disco Sport.

Getting used to no parking sensors. Relying on the camera plus mirrors. Not a huge deal.

I have found that I just let the car do its thing now, rather than to let with modes etc. Which is nice and shows the tech works well if it can be left to its own devices.

The biggest thing though, is the fuel use. As with everything, it won't suit everyone, but for me where 99% of my journeys are short, this car is perfect. I've done over 1000 miles since I got it and I've only put £20 worth of petrol in it and even then that was so I could try filling it as the fuel cap release is (I think) pressurised. Still got half a tank left as well.

Obviously there are electricity costs, but, using correct fuel costs (at the time of calculation), my FL2 and DS were costing roughly 19p per mile and that's being generous, considering most of the journeys won't have been long enough for the engine to get to temp. The electricity costs per mile in the Outlander is less than 5p. And that's not on one of those super cheaper overnight charge tariffs

I do think, at least mentally, I'd struggle to go back to a fully ICE car now that I've experienced this. Even if my needs changed, this car is fully competent at long journeys on petrol so it fits both needs. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #411761 26th Aug 2021 10:01 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Interestingly, I see JCB have built their own hydrogen ICE for their heavy plant machines.
They have discounted both battery electric power, due to the excessive weight and long recharging times, and hydrogen fuel cells due to the extra huge cost.
They do have a BEV mini-digger but the duty cycles of these small machines are usually short, unlike the heavy plant which often run continuously for long periods with operator shift changes.
Maybe hydrogen ICE will be the way to go for the haulage industry once we find more drivers. Jules

Post #411776 27th Aug 2021 9:57 am
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

[quote="Chuckalicious"]Thought I'd provide another update on the transition to a hybrid vehicle.

Thanks for the update, good to know how you are getting on with the PHEV.

I really need to get a test drive of one I think, love the concept and overall would likely work quite well for me at the moment.
That said I am loving my F2 at the moment so dont really want/need to change but would like to try the PHEV out still. Andrew

Post #411777 27th Aug 2021 10:39 am
Chuckalicious

Let's be honest, the Freelander is a unique vehicle and I can't imagine there's anything else out there that will really fill it's shoes in terms of personality. I get the impression the PHEV is the same.

The only things left to watch are the reliability and the real world dealer support as Mitsubishi depart from selling vehicles in the UK. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #411783 27th Aug 2021 11:51 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Has Mitsubishi ceasing to sell cars in the UK had any effect on the ability to obtain parts or servicing ?

Has it caused a greater depreciation in value than originally expected ? Jules

Post #411806 27th Aug 2021 9:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>