Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Do you have a plan for the end of ICE cars?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My plan is to keep the FL2 for the time being.
Have a Fiesta ST as a fun daily runabout - when there is a comparable electric car then I'd be interested. Time will tell when that will be. Jules

Post #404728 2nd Mar 2021 5:16 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

oldseadog wrote:
This is what we should be using in our Diesel burning vehicles; https://www.shropshirelive.com/business/20...hropshire/
The SulNox technology has been around for many years, but as far as I can see, the big fuel producers don't want anything to do with it as it will reduce their profits.
If only some enterprising person would sell this fuel commercially, then I'm sure there would be 'queues around the block' to fill up tanks!

Seems to be the exact opposite of what the govt are trying to implement, by that I mean ethanol in fuels. Ethanol is hygroscopic - it takes water out of the air and holds it in suspension in the fuel. I knew that the water was ruining fuel systems, and that the ethanol was possibly going to damage high pressure fuel pumps but didn't realise that the water was in part responsible for particulate generation. Another case of poorly thought out policy - lets replace 5% of diesel with a product that is not fossil fuel, what could possibly go wrong. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404733 2nd Mar 2021 7:21 pm
pinhead

Quite a bit of dodgy information here about electric vehicles
First I will start by clarification of one thing I am an out an out petrol head
Previous vehicles I have owned include (not a complete list just a quick off the top of my head )
2 corvettes
2 impreza turbo's
F150 lightning
Dodge ram 2500 Cummins diesel
V8 td5 and tdv6 discovery's
Series landrovers diesel and v8
High performance bikes
And competition water-ski boats
Currently have a camaro i use for drag racing
I bought my tesla because its an amazing car unfortunately I was offered a test drive and it was like a drug dealer giving out free heroin to get you hooked
I could not afford one but some how I made it happen it does if you want something enough
2 and a half years on and 50k miles I still love it and would swap it for nothing but another tesla
During my time of ownership I have learnt about the environmental benefits due to being on owners groups
Most of the studies that say they are not green are simply wrong they miss out far too much or make some incorrect assumptions
First myth
Batterys will need swapping every x(insert incorrect value her) years
Well this is quite easy the battery will outlast the rest of the vehicle in most cases and be able to go on to provide further use afterwards there may be a mechanical failure that stops this like broken joints or circuit boards on the battery management system just like an ice car can break down they will not be immune there are already plenty of very high milage cars electric cars about
It will take X miles to cover the carbon produced by manufacturer
The most accurate estimate of covering the carbon cost of manufacture of a large battery ev is 16k miles based on the energy mix of the UK 2 years ago it will be less now
Most studies over estimate the energy required to produce the cells and dont take into account the energy source
Most studies also use tailpipe emissions for comparison but don't include emissions from drilling refining and transportation of the fuel
It doesn't fit my driving needs
Actually it will fit the needs of over 90% of the population they just don't know it or won't admit it
They make up crazy scenarios to prove their case that may happen once in 10 years as a reason why they are useless
The biggest issue going forward that needs tackling is charging for those with no off street parking and will be the biggest problem going forward
they are too expensive
Yep at the moment they are especially for those that usually buy older cars they just have not been around long enough for that yet
New car costs expect to reach parity with diesel in 2023
I also think total cost of ownership is the same now if you are a company car driver its already much less now
I will miss the noise
Not convinced see my car history above I dont its just different that silent performance is addictive in its own way
I also think we have been conditioned to like the sound of internal combustion and when its rare we will see kids that have not heard it before be offended by it let's see
They are not the answer to climate change
I agree the main problem the planet faces is overpopulation by a a single species yep man
Every single issue you can think up that could spell the end of the planet could be solved by reducing our population
But I will say without any population controls in place EVs may just buy us a few more years
They cannot tow
Only a handful of EVs can tow at the moment its the main reason I still have my fl2
But the ones that can are very capable plenty of model x owners on the owners group have toured Europe with big twin axle vans behind them the biggest issue is having to unhook to get to many chargers that should be improved going forward some of the new charging forecourts are laid out much better for this
As soon as I can afford a tow capable ev I will be in one let's hope landrover come up with something as I really like how landrovers drive but if not I won't be brand loyal
The grid cannot handle it
National grid have made statements that it can manage
It needs to make a few minor changes as the location of the demand shifts but this is expected to be easily managed as transition will not be over night but over a no. Of years
If every car journey suddenly went to electric overnight the amount of consumption of electricity in the UK would go back up to levels similar to the late 80s
Yes energy efficiency measures we have put in place and some loss of industry are enough to run every journey

Please don't see this as a rant all I want to do is dispell some myths
Big oil is running scared right now and funding campaigns against the transition to EV they are playing on peoples rational worries and its working in many cases
Its nearly the same as when the car was invented and replacing horses
We still have horses but they are not an essential to get around and carry out work they are for hobbies and pets and ICE cars will be the same the EV doing all the daily leg work and the ICE will be the weekend or track day toy
But please please
Don't keep spreading the misinformation and go and drive one you will be pleasantly surprised

Post #404746 2nd Mar 2021 10:33 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

pinhead wrote:
Quite a bit of dodgy information here about electric vehicles
First I will start by clarification of one thing I am an out an out petrol head
Previous vehicles I have owned include (not a complete list just a quick off the top of my head )
2 corvettes
2 impreza turbo's
F150 lightning
Dodge ram 2500 Cummins diesel
V8 td5 and tdv6 discovery's
Series landrovers diesel and v8
High performance bikes
And competition water-ski boats
Currently have a camaro i use for drag racing
I bought my tesla because its an amazing car unfortunately I was offered a test drive and it was like a drug dealer giving out free heroin to get you hooked
I could not afford one but some how I made it happen it does if you want something enough
2 and a half years on and 50k miles I still love it and would swap it for nothing but another tesla
During my time of ownership I have learnt about the environmental benefits due to being on owners groups
Most of the studies that say they are not green are simply wrong they miss out far too much or make some incorrect assumptions
First myth
Batterys will need swapping every x(insert incorrect value her) years
Well this is quite easy the battery will outlast the rest of the vehicle in most cases and be able to go on to provide further use afterwards there may be a mechanical failure that stops this like broken joints or circuit boards on the battery management system just like an ice car can break down they will not be immune there are already plenty of very high milage cars electric cars about
It will take X miles to cover the carbon produced by manufacturer
The most accurate estimate of covering the carbon cost of manufacture of a large battery ev is 16k miles based on the energy mix of the UK 2 years ago it will be less now
Most studies over estimate the energy required to produce the cells and dont take into account the energy source
Most studies also use tailpipe emissions for comparison but don't include emissions from drilling refining and transportation of the fuel
It doesn't fit my driving needs
Actually it will fit the needs of over 90% of the population they just don't know it or won't admit it
They make up crazy scenarios to prove their case that may happen once in 10 years as a reason why they are useless
The biggest issue going forward that needs tackling is charging for those with no off street parking and will be the biggest problem going forward
they are too expensive
Yep at the moment they are especially for those that usually buy older cars they just have not been around long enough for that yet
New car costs expect to reach parity with diesel in 2023
I also think total cost of ownership is the same now if you are a company car driver its already much less now
I will miss the noise
Not convinced see my car history above I dont its just different that silent performance is addictive in its own way
I also think we have been conditioned to like the sound of internal combustion and when its rare we will see kids that have not heard it before be offended by it let's see
They are not the answer to climate change
I agree the main problem the planet faces is overpopulation by a a single species yep man
Every single issue you can think up that could spell the end of the planet could be solved by reducing our population
But I will say without any population controls in place EVs may just buy us a few more years
They cannot tow
Only a handful of EVs can tow at the moment its the main reason I still have my fl2
But the ones that can are very capable plenty of model x owners on the owners group have toured Europe with big twin axle vans behind them the biggest issue is having to unhook to get to many chargers that should be improved going forward some of the new charging forecourts are laid out much better for this
As soon as I can afford a tow capable ev I will be in one let's hope landrover come up with something as I really like how landrovers drive but if not I won't be brand loyal
The grid cannot handle it
National grid have made statements that it can manage
It needs to make a few minor changes as the location of the demand shifts but this is expected to be easily managed as transition will not be over night but over a no. Of years
If every car journey suddenly went to electric overnight the amount of consumption of electricity in the UK would go back up to levels similar to the late 80s
Yes energy efficiency measures we have put in place and some loss of industry are enough to run every journey

Please don't see this as a rant all I want to do is dispell some myths
Big oil is running scared right now and funding campaigns against the transition to EV they are playing on peoples rational worries and its working in many cases
Its nearly the same as when the car was invented and replacing horses
We still have horses but they are not an essential to get around and carry out work they are for hobbies and pets and ICE cars will be the same the EV doing all the daily leg work and the ICE will be the weekend or track day toy
But please please
Don't keep spreading the misinformation and go and drive one you will be pleasantly surprised

Absobloodylutely.

I was on the Fullycharged Youtube channel comments section just the other night, and some guy was spouting all the normal anti-EV BS, about they're not green and an ICE vehicle is green, lithium is so polluting to mine and needs high temperatures to make it into ingots for the batteries, and lots of other completely inaccurate crap.

I really can't see why there's such an anti-EV movement, as surely people want to live in a clearer world, with less pollution in the air.

I do think it should be made as easy as possible for owners to convert an older ICE vehicle over to electric drive, not only because it can be done, but because its less polluting to reuse an old (obviously rust free) body, but it would be cheaper than buying an expensive new EV. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404766 3rd Mar 2021 1:33 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I might buy a V8 petrol while I still can 😁, Jap import 4.0L Disco 2 or a Rover 75 V8 would fit the bill. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #404770 3rd Mar 2021 5:24 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

1) Keep my FL2
2) Start saving up to either pay the extra Fuel Tax, or City Clean Zone Fees.
3) Buy an old BMW i3 or similar to use in case my FL2 is banned from driving in Bristol or other cities. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 4th Mar 2021 9:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #404785 3rd Mar 2021 10:26 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

...... as surely people want to live in a clearer world, with less pollution in the air.
actually no
Considering what’s going on in my little corner of the world, the whole place can go to hell in a hand cart.
I just want to be left to enjoy the things I have worked darned hard to pay for without someone, trying to score points by making everyone who doesn’t agree with their life choices feel inferior.
If someone wants to go electric for whatever reason I have no issue with that, as long as I am not forced into doing the same. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404793 4th Mar 2021 1:40 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I've driven electric vehicles from 1950s milk floats to modern electric cars and I like them. Range and recharging are problems at present but gived it a few more years and that should be resolved. I think there is tremendous potential for an electric 4x4 with a motor on each wheel especially off road. I agree with Andy131, don't force it, but I would also add try it and see.

J

Post #404810 4th Mar 2021 10:52 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

But it’s the same as some people who buy LR would never own a Toyota 4X4....or visa versa, no matter what the logical arguments it will still pivot on personal preference or blind ignorance. Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #404822 4th Mar 2021 2:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123