Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Do you have a plan for the end of ICE cars?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I suspect that the push for replacement of the ICE fleet will come from CO2 and NOX emissions. Producing biodiesel from plants might solve the CO2 argument but at the expense of massive amounts of agricultural land turned over to biofuels and construction of suitable processing facilities. However, assuming that we did produce 100% "green" fuels the NOX argument remains and will I believe be the killer for diesel certainly and I can see the policy levers available to the government eg raise fuel duty and ban diesels (and then petrol) from urban areas.
I suspect that in 9 years time we will find that it becomes increasingly difficult and expensive to run an old ICE car and that only enthusiasts with classic cars will eventually remain. The car industry is approaching its "Kodak" moment. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #404681 1st Mar 2021 10:24 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Is CO2 such a problem anyway ?
I dont think it is such a problem compared to the millions of tonnes of plastic waste being dumped every year (that will be around for many generations and enter our food chain with all sorts of potential issues like genetic changes etc).
CO2 is non-toxic in small doses (anaesthetists used to administer it) and can be removed by simply planting more photosynthesising plants. Jules

Post #404683 1st Mar 2021 10:28 am
jules

PRadd wrote:
BEV?

BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle - Li-ion batteries at the moment as opposed to other sorts of electric vehicles using hydrogen fuel cells.

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine ( not In-Car Entertainment in this thread) Jules

Last edited by jules on 1st Mar 2021 10:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #404685 1st Mar 2021 10:33 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

"Is CO2 such a problem?" In my mind (as an ex scientist) that's still debatable although any debate on the matter is stifled by claims of Climate Denial so the climate bandwagon is now unstoppable and is the driving force. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #404686 1st Mar 2021 10:33 am
jules

Seems us heretics are to be burned at the stake - producing more CO2 in the process Jules

Post #404687 1st Mar 2021 10:35 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

We’d come and watch that but aren’t allowed out to social gatherings just yet Rolling with laughter

Post #404689 1st Mar 2021 12:02 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

We won't see any dramatic changes in our life time, nor will the next generation. There is just too much change needed in such a short time span. Public transport, The Haulage and delivery industry for a start. then there are cars, Range is rubbish still, most can't tow, a huge amount of the population will have nowhere to charge their cars because of where they live. the list goes on.

It will happen in the future, no doubt, but not for many years.

Got to go, I have left my old V8 Stag idling outside Greta's house Rolling with laughter 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #404691 1st Mar 2021 12:20 pm
AmaraJohn

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

At 76, approachign77, my wonderful 2011 SD4 HSE will have to outlast me. She, she is definitely female, has just today gone to get belts and fluids changed, and MOT. I had to hire a car as a replacement (covid restrictions) and the guy setting up the hire could not believe she was so "old". She will survive!!! I will keep her for as long as I can.

Post #404703 1st Mar 2021 8:07 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
"Is CO2 such a problem?" In my mind (as an ex scientist) that's still debatable although any debate on the matter is stifled by claims of Climate Denial so the climate bandwagon is now unstoppable and is the driving force.

It all went downhill when David Attenborough started preaching climate change on the BBC.

Since then, I no longer watch his programs on the TV.

I will keep my two diesel cars for as long as possible,
the oldest being 15 years old with a 3-litre oil burner and no DPF.
I retire in less than 9 years, so hopefully nothing much will change before then.

Post #404707 1st Mar 2021 10:23 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just a thought, I seem to remember when we bought our FL2, LR were into carbon offsetting so they "guaranteed" that the car was carbon neutral for manufacture and the first 30k. Wonder how that compares to a new electric vehicle?

Hopefully the DS will see me out, so I will never have to suffer driving a posh milk float - nowhere to charge it and I can't imagine one dragging a 1,500kg caravan to Spain / France and back without wasting a lot of the holiday waiting for the battery to charge. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404708 1st Mar 2021 11:53 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I would like to convert my Freel2, or maybe a newer one to electric drive.
I know someone doing this very thing to a Freelander 1 at the moment, I actually made the motor drive coupling for it. It's using a combination of parts from a scrapped Nissan Leaf (motor, batteries, and power-electronics), driving the original FL1 gearbox and AWD system.
It'll work too, and seems to retain 80% of the internal space for passengers and luggage. The only couple of drawbacks are limited range, although that could be partially addressed, and slow charging of the battery, due to limitations in the original Leaf design. Thankfully the old FL1 is electronically backwards compared to the Freel2, which makes it easier to integrate the Leaf stuff with the LR stuff.

This integration issue will be more complex with the Freel2, but I'm sure it's solvable, and being a large vehicle, it'll have more space for batteries.
As the price of the Freel2 drops, it'll become a tempting proposition to convert it to electric drive. Very Happy 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404718 2nd Mar 2021 10:48 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Why?
I know the answer, because you can.
Seriously why, by the time you have bought the motor, speed controller, batteries, charger and spent 100's of hours on the conversion you will have a car that is less capable, difficult to insure, less range - and the cost of the conversion would have bought enough diesel to get the FL2 to the moon and back.

Don't get me wrong I understand the "because I can", 20 years ago I replaced the old diesel engine in a canal barge, with a drive motor from a forklift, speed controller from a forklift and dropped the battery cells into saddle tanks to even out the weight. Got it slightly wrong, maybe a 35kW motor for a barge was a bit big, but at least she could stop on a sixpence, batteries - needed charging every 2-3 weeks on a barge used daily for trippers, and the silence was appreciated. The lack of heating from the engine was missed, but that could have been sorted if the owner had wanted to. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404721 2nd Mar 2021 12:29 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Andy131 wrote:
Why?
I know the answer, because you can.
Seriously why, by the time you have bought the motor, speed controller, batteries, charger and spent 100's of hours on the conversion you will have a car that is less capable, difficult to insure, less range - and the cost of the conversion would have bought enough diesel to get the FL2 to the moon and back.

Don't get me wrong I understand the "because I can", 20 years ago I replaced the old diesel engine in a canal barge, with a drive motor from a forklift, speed controller from a forklift and dropped the battery cells into saddle tanks to even out the weight. Got it slightly wrong, maybe a 35kW motor for a barge was a bit big, but at least she could stop on a sixpence, batteries - needed charging every 2-3 weeks on a barge used daily for trippers, and the silence was appreciated. The lack of heating from the engine was missed, but that could have been sorted if the owner had wanted to.
If I was to convert an Freel2 to electric, I'd use a salvaged Leaf to provide me with the parts. Cost wise, I could have a working Freel2 for under £10k, with a 120 miles range, and just as practical as it is now. If you like a car, and want to be able to drive it in the future, then I can see the appeal of doing the conversion.
At the moment, there's nothing electric that is as good as the Freelander, so I may have no choice. Very Happy 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404723 2nd Mar 2021 3:35 pm
jules

jules wrote:
Is CO2 such a problem anyway ?
I dont think it is such a problem compared to the millions of tonnes of plastic waste being dumped every year (that will be around for many generations and enter our food chain with all sorts of potential issues like genetic changes etc).
CO2 is non-toxic in small doses (anaesthetists used to administer it) and can be removed by simply planting more photosynthesising plants.

What I was really getting at is that to my mind whilst rising CO2 levels and climate change are huge problems, they are relatively easy to solve (produce less CO2 and remove more) compared to the relentless destruction of this planet from pollution (eg human and industrial waste, plastics, heavy metals etc) Jules

Post #404726 2nd Mar 2021 5:56 pm
oldseadog

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This is what we should be using in our Diesel burning vehicles; https://www.shropshirelive.com/business/20...hropshire/
The SulNox technology has been around for many years, but as far as I can see, the big fuel producers don't want anything to do with it as it will reduce their profits.
If only some enterprising person would sell this fuel commercially, then I'm sure there would be 'queues around the block' to fill up tanks! -------------------------------------------------------------
1965 Series IIa Safari LWB White - gone
1982 RR 2 door Sahara dust - gone
2000 Freelander 1 3 door white gold - gone
1995 Discovery 1 200Tdi Biaritz Blue - gone
2009 FL2 TD4 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #404727 2nd Mar 2021 6:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>