Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Do you have a plan for the end of ICE cars?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Do you have a plan for the end of ICE cars?

I have decided to keep my FL2 for another year. The big question then will be "what to buy next?". I almost feel that the EV technology isn't there yet and we will be paying to test new products for the manufacturers. We all know (do we?) that late FL2s MY13/15 seem to be more reliable than the earlier ones but it 8 years to get them there.
I am equally not convinced that the hybrid route is worth following as you will have a vehicle with new battery technology plus control software plus a complex integrated engine/electric control system. All in all a bit of a nightmare to live with (all the fun of a complex mechanical plus electrical layout). Hence I have put the decision off for a year.
What are others' thoughts ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #404648 28th Feb 2021 4:29 pm
pinhead

I have a freelander 2 and a tesla model S
The model S does everything between swmbo and me we put 25k miles a year on it the tech is amazing and its ready now no beta testing here
By contrast the freelander has done a huge 3.5k miles a year I go to work in it 2 miles from home and it tows the caravan
If I could afford to swap it for a tesla model x that can tow the van I would
The shortage of EVs that can tow is a problem at the moment but shouldn't be in a couple of years
Charging networks for non tesla vehicles are limited and not growing as fast as tesla own network that is roughly keeping pace with the increase in cars on the road
Its not going to be fun for owners of other marques in a few years

Post #404649 28th Feb 2021 6:03 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I agree, technology just isn't there, neither is infrastructure.
there is diesel technology ( both advanced injection and air control plus cam-less engines with valves controlled by solenoids ) at another level sitting in the wings plus synthetic fuels, I suspect they are waiting until the government ends up extending the ban another decade or so.
electric cars are just currently an experiment ( expensive one ) whilst alternative is being sought.

America is really struggling to support its grid currently ( for many different technical reasons ) and suspect that will get worse as more electric cars roll out and demand increases even more. I suspect long term regular power cuts here will be the norm. us like them just haven't kept up with the way demand for electric has risen.

The National Grid STOR diesel generator sites in the UK I see produced over 780MW in 2018 and demand continues to grow at peak times so we ban diesel cars but keep increasing diesel generation. rather ironic really.

Hopefully hydrogen will take off eventually as will cleaner diesel and petrol. Personally i think petrol & diesel cars will remain at a premium especially if we do ever see a full ban on future production Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #404652 28th Feb 2021 6:14 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

I’m tending to think estate car. I don’t do so much winter walking in the Lake District any more, so front wheel drive with a set of winter tyres and wheels would be good enough.

It would have to be petrol powered, something like a 2 litre engine, not a hybrid, and it must have a full size spare wheel. (Last year, the RAC and the AA attended nearly 180,000 calls where a motorist had a flat tyre, but had no spare.)

I’d be happy with mid 35mpg on my fairly low annual mileage.

I had considered a Subaru Forester, but having test driven them the CVT drivetrain and non turbo engine is sluggish and frustrating. Also they only produce hybrids now and I don’t want that extra complication. (And after a 45 minute test drive I didn’t like that the boot mounted battery cover became very hot to the touch.)

I’ve also discounted the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV hybrids, both good cars but I just don’t like the styling.

And I’ve had poor experiences of VW with 2 other family cars, not to mention diesel gate, so VW group cars are out.

I’ve been thinking of how to replace the Freelander for a couple of years, but I always end up with the same conclusion, there is nothing I like better than the Freelander and I’d be changing for changing sake, so why not just keep it a while longer? Mine has only covered 55,000 miles, has always been main dealer serviced, is still under the LR warranty, and isn’t depreciating much at all. It’s had the cam belt change and I might take it to Bells after lockdown for some preventative maintenance. Any new car sitting on the drive will cost far more in depreciation.

And with the turmoil and pace of technological change in the car industry the depreciation of hybrids and EVs could be unexpectedly heavy.

My solution is to hold out and keep the Freelander for the foreseeable future and see how the technology and infrastructure develops. I think the old saying applies, “if you don’t know what to do, do nothing”?

Post #404655 28th Feb 2021 7:23 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Interesting piece on this subject on the Telegraph website:

It’s no secret, of course, that the global car industry is on the verge of the biggest disruption in its history, driven by the transition from internal combustion engines to electric vehicles.

Britain’s ban on the sale of non-electric vehicles by 2030 is just one of a string of policy decisions that are reshaping the industry as governments battle to reduce emissions.

Until recently, however, the big focus has been on how established players like Volkswagen, Ford and Toyota can manage the transition and retool their factories for an era of EVs, under mounting pressure from pure electric upstarts like Tesla. It’s a valid question but one that may be missing the point.

Foxconn’s entry into carmaking illustrates how flawed that narrative may turn out to be – and how completely unrecognisable the global car industry may be within just a few years as the shift to EVs turns decades-old supply chains upside down and opens the door to new entrants.

With bags of experience in precision manufacturing of technology products at scale and no legacy costs linked to the need to continue building conventional vehicles, players like Foxconn have spotted a potentially colossal market opportunity.

The truth is that conventional carmakers are now in mortal danger as the industry spins rapidly out of their control – potentially merging with the electronics industry and into the lap of companies with no background in carmaking at all.

Post #404656 28th Feb 2021 7:33 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

At 63 years old, I can’t see a time when I’ll be driving a fully electric vehicle other than a mobility scooter!

On a serious note, due to the lack of use on our Evoque along with the ULEZ coming in this year, we parted company with our Evoque this week. We now have a 1.4 petrol 150bhp Audi A3 S Line. It’s an absolute dream to drive. £210 a year cheaper to tax, £200 a year cheaper to insure and probably a lot better on fuel consumption when we actually use it! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #404657 28th Feb 2021 7:41 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Subaru are currently discounting the all petrol 2.5 outbacks by £8000 . I received an email last week . It is the last of the non hybrid models . I presume that means the hybrid motor is due in the next incarnation . There was some talk a while back about a 2 litre turbo we’ll just have to see . I must say coupled to the Diesel engine the Lineartronic CVT has been superb . I’m toying with what to do with my vehicles but the thought of a petrol hybrid just doesn’t do it for me . The Outback only has 50 000 miles on it so keeping it is sensible . It’s also euro 6 so on paper will meet all the clean air zones that are coming . As per the comments above I hope that novel fuels for internal combustion become available and electric remains but as an option not as the only solution 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #404659 28th Feb 2021 8:22 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Been thinking about this :
Just taking the CO2 side of things :
Its all about how you make the electricity and how "green" it is.
In an ideal world all our electricity would be squeaky clean but the reality is very different.

As examples:
In the UK we've seen a massive reduction in coal generated electricity, along with rising renewable sources - all good.

Click image to enlarge

But in China the burning of coal for electricity has rocketed - total electricity generation is 10x that of the UK. (In a sense the UK is not as green as it would like to think because much of our previous electricity generation for heavy industry has simply moved to China)

In Germany BEVs generate more CO2 than diesel cars because 30% of German electricity comes from fossil fuels (lignite in particular being very bad).
https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org...-vehicles/

But ofcourse one should look at the lifetime of the car from production to disposal.

Click image to enlarge

Yes, BEVs generate less CO2 over their lifetime. But BEVs are clearly not going to save the planet - they just kill it a bit slower than ICE vehicles.

And then we have the Li-ion battery problem.
Its not sustainable - there has been a massive increase in the mining of raw materials and cobalt prices have risen 400% in 5 years

Cobalt mining :
Click image to enlarge

And then there are the environmental and human costs (child labour in Congo for instance where 70% of the cobalt is mined).
https://www.cfr.org/blog/why-cobalt-mining...perations.

And no country has a plan for carefully dismantling and recycling these batteries as yet. That process will, its estimated, add another 10%+ to the BEV lifetime CO2 generation.

So while its really great not to have as much oxides of nitrogen and particulates in the air we breath we should not delude ourselves that BEV are the long term answer. We should be looking beyond BEV - to more sustainable solutions.

Meanwhile, I suppose if one really cares about the environment then dont buy another new car - but keep your FL2 running as long as possible, since cars generate the most emissions during their manufacture. Jules

Post #404667 1st Mar 2021 2:01 am
TooBlue

United Kingdom 
Re: Do you have a plan for the end of ICE cars?

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Do you have a plan for the end of ICE cars?

Why have a plan when there is no end of ICE cars?

It is only new cars that are affected.

Plenty of used cars will be around for many decades yet.

Post #404668 1st Mar 2021 2:03 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Steve D wrote:
At 63 years old, I can’t see a time when I’ll be driving a fully electric vehicle other than a mobility scooter!

A bit the same here. The car we hardy use in the city, mostly for the outback. There will come a point where we will be happy with local exploring, if we can walk.

Maybe a 4WD scooter! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #404671 1st Mar 2021 2:31 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

There is also the environmental cost of replacing a perfectly serviceable vehicle that has already been built with a vehicle that has yet to be built. I’ve read somewhere that it takes many thousands of miles for the reduced CO2 being produced by the EV (if the electricity being used to charge it is green) to make up for the CO2 generated by the EV vehicles manufacture. My FL2 has already been built and it’s not it’s CO2 that is the problem, it’s the NOX!

Post #404673 1st Mar 2021 8:40 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Steve D wrote:

On a serious note, due to the lack of use on our Evoque along with the ULEZ coming in this year, we parted company with our Evoque this week. We now have a 1.4 petrol 150bhp Audi A3 S Line. It’s an absolute dream to drive. £210 a year cheaper to tax, £200 a year cheaper to insure and probably a lot better on fuel consumption when we actually use it!

I’m pretty much in the same boat, living just outside the South Circular do potentially affected by the incoming ULEZ. I’m 66 in June but my desk at work is moving from east London back to Waterloo in April so have made the decision to retire before that move. Won’t be parking available and if there was I’d be hit with ULEZ and congestion charge. Can’t even contemplate public transport

Post #404674 1st Mar 2021 9:05 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

whats the cost of replacement battery units for MHEV/PHEC or all electric vehicles and what is the lifespan of the battery units ?

IIRC with Renault you just rent the battery units from them, while owning the rest of the car (however you choose to pay for it)
So Renault were responsible for maintaining, repairing and replacing the batteries. I think they are the only manufacturer that do this.

ISTR reading that the cost to replace is in the region of £5000 and the usable lifespan only around 8-10 years as a general rule (obviously some will go longer dependant on usage etc)

also its a long known fact that batteries don't like the cold so will this be a factor in lifespan etc ?

The powers that be cannot just shut the door on ICE drivers, so petrol/diesel will still have to be widely available for many decades to come until they all fall apart or are crushed after trading in etc.

Post #404676 1st Mar 2021 9:18 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

BossBob wrote:
I’ve read somewhere that it takes many thousands of miles for the reduced CO2 being produced by the EV (if the electricity being used to charge it is green) to make up for the CO2 generated by the EV vehicles manufacture.

Estimates vary ( depends on the "greeness" of your electricity) but you could be looking at running a BEV for 70K miles before before it produces less lifetime CO2 than than a equivalent ICE. Jules

Post #404678 1st Mar 2021 10:19 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

BEV? 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #404680 1st Mar 2021 10:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>