« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 61 of 66 <123 ... 606162 ... 646566>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Lightwater wrote:

' I'm a Victorian stuck on the wrong side of the border. Can I get home?

Thousands of Victorians are stuck in New South Wales after missing the border crossing deadline.

Luckily my daughter is at home and has taken no holiday since Covid began.

I thought Victorians outside VIC were given 12 hours to get back (not long, considering the distances). But if they returned later they would have to self-isolate. Did that rule change ? Jules

Post #402194 5th Jan 2021 10:50 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

They changed that. There are 2800 who want to return so far but missed the deadline. They have asked for exemptions but that takes days or longer & with previous experience down under most will not get an exemption to get into Victoria. They will also have to go into hotel quarantine at their own expense, $2500 first person & $1000 for each additional family member.

Just one situation of stuck on the wrong side! https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-03/...9/13027768

There will be a lot of people who simply won't be able to get back to work. There are all sorts of stories where people are stuck & are zero risk of Covid. Sharfted by State governments for poorly thought out Covid management. It happened earlier this year & the same will keep happening.

Heart breaking & more BS than you can poke a stick at!
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-05/...n/13030750
'She said that, in the "most private place" she could find — under a large eucalyptus tree in a gully — she completed the miscarriage.' Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #402201 5th Jan 2021 11:52 am
jules

Man, that's tough Jules

Post #402219 5th Jan 2021 9:03 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I take it back, tinpot border guards does not do them justice.

merciless, soulless Censored houses comes closer Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #402228 5th Jan 2021 11:33 pm
Lightwater

These are the sort of roads out there on a good day. If you are not accustomed to these "roads" you should not be driving on them & most certainly not in remote areas. It would be frightening for a lot of people.

A car with run flat tyres is just asking for trouble.

For the police to tell people to use these back roads is disturbing at best.

You could break down & not be found for days or easily a lot longer. 50°C this time of year, no water. Probably the government's view is, well we stopped any potential Covid in its tracks!

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #402233 6th Jan 2021 2:31 am
Lightwater

Going off on a bit of a tangent.

17 June 2020 Australian PM answer to giving birth at the side of the road.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/scott-morrison...0Canberra.

'Prime Minister Scott Morrison (Australian Prime Minister) has raised eyebrows with a bizarre response during question time on Wednesday suggesting a highway upgrade was the answer to women giving birth on the side of the road outside Canberra.

Mr Morrison was asked by Canberra MP Alicia Payne about maternity services for women in Yass, who must travel more than an hour to either Canberra or Goulbourn to give birth.

As a result a number of women have been forced to give birth on the side of the highway. Does the prime minister agree that this is unacceptable?"

In response, Mr Morrison said: “Well I’m pleased to let the member know that’s why we have committed $150 million to upgrade the Barton Highway.”

The mention of the updgrade sparked uproar on the Opposition benches, with senior Labor MP Tanya Plibersek saying the prime minister was "missing the point". ' Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #402258 6th Jan 2021 12:00 pm
Lightwater

State border BS in Australia!

'A woman with multiple sclerosis says driving from Queensland to Victoria in one trip is impossible with her condition.

From a two-day journey to a 6,700km detour.

When the border closure was announced Annie said she found it "impossible" to reach someone through the coronavirus hotline, and also found the information on the website unclear.

So Annie and her husband decided to take the long way home because they were concerned about getting stuck in NSW waiting for an exemption.

"We left on Monday, so we've stopped at Roma, we stopped at Longreach [Tuesday] night. Mt Isa [Wednesday] night. Then we go to Tennant Creek [Thursday] night and then we'll drop down to Alice Springs and then we'll come into South Australia, cross over into Victoria, and then do the long trek back to Stratford," she said. '

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-07/...e/13037052

We know what it is like to drive long trips & we are healthy. One can only drive so many km a day & after 5 days it is too exhausting to continue at that rate & quite frankly simply dangerous! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #402287 6th Jan 2021 11:52 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Well you can't help the stupidity of some people I guess. That's a ridiculous story and quite a media/political beat-up. They are on the Gold Coast with family - a short plane flight from home.
They should sit where they are and apply for an exemption. It would seem they aren't in a hurry - they are going to make a bit of a holiday of the trip. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #402291 7th Jan 2021 2:35 am
Lightwater

& arrange for their car to transported!

Other half did home care for a few years for a MS patient. Not all can fly with their breathing difficulties. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #402292 7th Jan 2021 3:01 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I'll see your "cared for a MS patient" and raise you with a "I have MS". MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #402311 7th Jan 2021 12:14 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

6,700km drive or a short plane journey - give me the drive any day and I wouldn't need an excuse, especially if the flight is with Qantas.

Having vehicles transported in Australia must cost a fortune.
Gill and I Had a holiday planned, fly BA to Sydney, pick up a 4 berth campervan and drive to cairns, fly back home.
Flight to Sydney was good, when we landed there was some horse race event on (November) and seeing the Sheilas wearing heels that they obviously weren't used to was hilarious. Some bars wouldn't let Poms in - their loss a couple of great nights out.
Went to pick up the van - it wasn't available but they had a six berth we could use, so we did, £800 in fuel 10 years ago. Turns out that they needed the six berth in Cairns and were very upset when we didn't deliver it first thing in the morning - as they were expecting a delivery driver. Being taken for a mug leaves a very bitter taste.

Qantas well and truly screwed the journey home, ended up going via Tokyo, and dumped in Heathrow, took 48 hours. Son drove from Manchester to pick us up. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #402313 7th Jan 2021 12:45 pm
Lightwater

The few times we have flown in Australia the Qantas planes were dreadful. When going overseas we try our best to avoid them. Even when flying with Emirates we avoid joint flights. The Emirates only flights cost more but we would rather pay extra.

Shutting borders with very short notice is the wrong way to do things. Thousands race home some of who might have been exposed to Covid.

It would be far better to have borders open & an orderly return & everyone tested & quarantine.

I had a parent who flew a lot for work & said if you want to get sick, fly! That is something both of us have noticed when we fly. Invariably we are both sick.

If one has compromised health the last thing you need is to be on a plane. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #402343 7th Jan 2021 8:41 pm
jules

A good summary of the current vaccine situation in the UK

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n18 Jules

Post #402567 12th Jan 2021 9:58 am
3landertwo

Nick, Nick'ed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55730459

a classic example where the Police do not believe they are 'members of the public'

(I once had a policeman say to me "if I were a member of the public ......" to which I told him "HE IS !!!") Laughing

Post #402948 20th Jan 2021 10:46 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Text message from my surgery on Tuesday inviting me for a jab. Text had a link to a booking app and all set for this Saturday morning. Seamless. Cool Thumbs Up Cool MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #402992 21st Jan 2021 1:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 61 of 66 <123 ... 606162 ... 646566>