« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 66 123 ... 646566>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Coronavirus

Apparently the apocalypse has come. This virus is going to do a Thanos special. We are all doomed.

The media are all over this doomsday scenario but is it as bad as the headlines suggest? I have heard many dismiss it because it does not do as much damage as the old school flu each winter.

What's everyone's thoughts? I can tell you that a confirmed case in Buxton is just a couple of streets away from SWMBO's parents house. Yet we are going about business as usual without hysteria but being mindful of the advice and washing hands regularly. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #387494 3rd Mar 2020 9:42 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Quite right too.....no need to panic is there?!

I see Mark Carney was quick to talk down the economy again this morning citing this as an excuse for poor performance. Businesses will use it as an excuse to dent shareholders proper dividends, as will the banks.

We need to stop being so lily-liveried as a country, keep calm and get on with it. The trouble is, today's snowflakes just don't know to to deal with life, do they? Christ, they can't even eat with a knife and fork without Facebook updates, how will the little darlings cope?

I was dragged up in the 60/70's to wash my hands every time I visited the bathroom, and before each meal. It's not rocket science is it?

Quick, shut all the schools!! We have had 1cm of snow and a pupil has a sniffle!! We're all doomed.....DOOOMED I tell Ye......

Last edited by Sperly on 3rd Mar 2020 10:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #387496 3rd Mar 2020 10:02 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

My thoughts are that the economic effect is definitely real and going to get worse for the next while. As for the virus and people, I am going to assume that it should be a serious consideration as I would hate to pass it on to someone and it kills them. Of course, I don't think it will kill me.......... Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #387497 3rd Mar 2020 10:05 pm
Largered

I drank Corona as a kid. Nothing wrong with me. Thumbs Up

Post #387498 3rd Mar 2020 10:17 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I , too, drank Corona as a kid. Of course it didn't do me any harm either -and why would it ? After all "Every bubble's passed it's physical !" Whistle

Post #387501 3rd Mar 2020 11:05 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Back in the 1970s & 80s when I started working, the office cleaners not only vacuumed & mopped the kitchen floor, they wiped all the desks with disinfectant, same with cleaning the photocopier, door knobs, handrails, wipped the keyboards for the mainframe computer, wiped the till & calculators. They even unscrewed the telephone handset ear & mouth pieces & cleaned inside..... & washed the ashtrays! All 3 times a week.

These days cleaners wip around with the vacuum & squeegee some glass once a week if you are lucky. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #387504 4th Mar 2020 12:03 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:
The media are all over this doomsday scenario but is it as bad as the headlines suggest? I have heard many dismiss it because it does not do as much damage as the old school flu each winter.

What's everyone's thoughts?...

It’s worth bearing in mind that the average mortality rate for seasonal flu is around 0.1% of those infected.

The figures for Corona virus are still being refined, but are likely to be around 1.0% according to the U.K. Gov., with rates in the worst effected areas of China at around 3-4%. These figures are evolving all the time as more data becomes available, but this is at least 10 times the fatility rate of seasonal flu.

Post #387506 4th Mar 2020 12:09 am
Lightwater

2018 road toll in China 256,180, that's 701 every day. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #387507 4th Mar 2020 12:53 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Not too sure what that proves in relation to Cronovirus but, at a 50% infection rate in the U.K. (the upper limit for infection would be around 80%, at 1% fatality, we’d have around 325,000 dead.

Post #387509 4th Mar 2020 1:02 am
Lightwater

The way news is portrayed one gets the impression that everyone who will die will die from Coronavirus.

In Australia our suicide rate is about 3 times the road toll.

In Australia the Spanish Flu killed 15,000, the population was less, but a bit of perspective on these things would help.

Cleaning hands, sinks & taps, door knobs, car's steering wheel & the toilet brush's actual handle will be of far more benefit than the panic we are seeing. Maybe put a builder's glove on when filling the car.

I went for a walk yesterday around 7 supermarkets & very large hardware store locally. No toilet paper, cleaning supplies pretty much gone. No face masks to do some cutting, I feel sorry for builders who have immediate safety requirements! Rice, pasta, canned & bottled food shelves look a bit thin. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #387511 4th Mar 2020 1:48 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

US Federal Reserve emergency cut rates by .5 points today; 1st emergency cut since the 2008 market crash. I'd say that's pretty significant since it looks like that specific cut likely hurt the markets at close today. I'd say they are predicting/expecting some form of a recession due to supply chain interruptions & expected future interruptions.

Post #387512 4th Mar 2020 3:18 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’d agree that there’s a lot of irresponsible news headlines out there, especially from the tabloids peddling fear and panic, but suggesting that it’s no worse than seasonal flu shows that there’s misinformation on both sides.

Post #387516 4th Mar 2020 7:04 am
Dartman the one

England 

Some switched on people are going to make millions, if you jumped out of the stock markets a month ago and watch the trend to jump back in in a couple of months you will probably increase your portfolio by about 5%, so is the crisis a little bit exaggerated? the timing is right for another financial crash, high stock markets that have peaked, the finance sector needs these crashes to keep the money moving. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #387517 4th Mar 2020 7:07 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

This sort of conspiracy theory would then need some mechanism to control the market, or inform those “in the know”, so as to know exactly when to re-enter the market - immediately before a recovery.

Any thoughts on how that might work?

Post #387518 4th Mar 2020 7:53 am
Dartman the one

England 

Yes easy those that wish to make the money will exaggerate the effect of the crisis ( if it is) with the help of the media having slowly disposed of their assets into cash only need two or three to get it going by dumping selected shares. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Last edited by Dartman the one on 4th Mar 2020 11:29 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #387522 4th Mar 2020 9:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 66 123 ... 646566>