Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New boiler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Brother in law is a heating engineer and tells me BG get their boilers cheaper as they agree a much shorter warranty with suppliers.
not sure if this is 100% or if he is just resenting BG for stealing his business? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #383786 4th Jan 2020 2:00 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Syd, unfortunately the new rules state that though you have a flue it cannot be used with a new boiler, though I would query that if your flue is a lined chimney I would consider the lining is not the flue, the flue is the part from the boiler to the liner, there should be a gas tight join and plate below the flue/liner connection. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #383788 4th Jan 2020 2:19 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I find this thread a bit strange.
So many people will scrimp on their central heating install but think nothing of spending tens of thousands of £ on a new car every coup!e of years. Whistle
Then there are people who think nothing of spending large amounts of cash on extended warranty's for their cars so that they can run to the dealers if something goes wrong, because they feel reassured. Whistle

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at the contributors to the thread. It's just I have had over 40years of this type of illogical thinking. Question

I even once went to do an estimate for a boiler change at the second home of a premiership/international footballers home. To heat the house would have required a modular boiler system ( more than one boiler linked together ). When given the price he said " I think I could get that cheaper over the Internet". " good luck with that I said" and left him to it. By the way his existing boiler was not only not working but leaking water all over the garage floor. Rolling with laughter Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #383789 4th Jan 2020 2:35 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

gasman wrote:
By the way his existing boiler was not only not working but leaking water all over the garage floor.

Old boilers do leak. Nothing unusual.

My old boiler was leaking, but I would probably still rather drown than accept an inflated British Gas estimate.

Post #383795 4th Jan 2020 2:54 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

"So many people will scrimp on their central heating install but think nothing of spending tens of thousands of £ on a new car every couple of years."

LoL

When I got my BG quote of £3,400 and after searching I got a quote for a better boiler for £1800 all in, I was talking to my mate, telling him I still hadn’t finished looking for quotes and he pointed to a watch I was wearing that I had recently bought for more than the price of a boiler install and he asked me what would give me hot water and keep me warm for at least the next 10 winters, it put everything in perspective. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #383796 4th Jan 2020 2:59 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Before Xmas watching my son play footie during a horizontal hale/sleet storm, I downloaded a free app showing a blazing fireplace. We all gathered round it and had a good warm for free. Soon other parents copied and the touchline was toasty warm At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #383799 4th Jan 2020 4:04 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

gasman wrote:
I find this thread a bit strange.
So many people will scrimp on their central heating install but think nothing of spending tens of thousands of £ on a new car every coup!e of years. Whistle
Then there are people who think nothing of spending large amounts of cash on extended warranty's for their cars so that they can run to the dealers if something goes wrong, because they feel reassured. Whistle

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at the contributors to the thread. It's just I have had over 40years of this type of illogical thinking. Question

I even once went to do an estimate for a boiler change at the second home of a premiership/international footballers home. To heat the house would have required a modular boiler system ( more than one boiler linked together ). When given the price he said " I think I could get that cheaper over the Internet". " good luck with that I said" and left him to it. By the way his existing boiler was not only not working but leaking water all over the garage floor. Rolling with laughter

See where you're coming from, but there's a difference between 'scrimping' and feeling that an estimate is way higher than perhaps it could be when compared like for like with a competitors? If you saw two identical items in the shops, one being a lot less than the other then you'd buy it at the cheaper price - is that scrimping, or common sense?

Post #383800 4th Jan 2020 4:05 pm
Dartman the one

England 

It depends on how you look at it, if you change your car every three or four years and negotiate the best deal for what you want as reliability and use then you should approach a central heating system the same way, in other words change it every four to five years when the warranty runs out, why keep something for years as it must become unreliable. Most boilers contain generic parts just like cars, it's the way they are installed and connected to other generic parts that seem to prooduce unreliability. Worcester Bosch a few years ago had heat exchanger problems that caused them warranty problems and costs, after that the price increased as did the length of warranty, the cost of most boilers is in the warranty not the materials, maybe that's the reason for BG costs. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #383802 4th Jan 2020 4:08 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sidthecat wrote:

See where you're coming from, but there's a difference between 'scrimping' and feeling that an estimate is way higher than perhaps it could be when compared like for like with a competitors? If you saw two identical items in the shops, one being a lot less than the other then you'd buy it at the cheaper price - is that scrimping, or common sense?

Of course but BG will have much higher overheads than your local independent operator, somehow I doubt the local chap would come out at lunchtime Christmas Eve to repair a duff boiler, where as with BG........

It’s about your perceived value threshold I guess. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383822 4th Jan 2020 7:30 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I'm not advocating on behalf of B.G. or anyone else for that matter. Rolling Eyes
As it says, now retired and BL**DY glad. Got sick and tired of listening to customers winging about the price of repairs to appliances that were well past scrappage but too mean to invest in a new one.
Could just be the cynic in me but I think it could be down to the fact that the neighbours can see the shiny new car on the drive but not the new boiler in the cupboard or utility room.
I suppose if the boiler breaks down the family can always sit in the car with the heater on. Rolling with laughter

Anyway that's me done........…..carry on debating. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #383832 4th Jan 2020 8:26 pm
Boxbrownie

I shouldn’t have joined in here, this morning woke up to a cold house, bloody boiler didn’t fire.....all running, water pumping etc but no flame......so off at the mains and turn on again and hey presto all working again, I keep telling Mrs BB the 25 year old Vaillant needs a service!

Think we’ll wait until spring...... Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383866 5th Jan 2020 12:57 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

David
I'm not superstitious, but I feel you should have touched wood before mentioning about anything that is working well. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #383867 5th Jan 2020 1:32 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Boxbrownie wrote:
I shouldn’t have joined in here, this morning woke up to a cold house, bloody boiler didn’t fire.....all running, water pumping etc but no flame......so off at the mains and turn on again and hey presto all working again, I keep telling Mrs BB the 25 year old Vaillant needs a service!

Think we’ll wait until spring...... Rolling with laughter

Same thing happened to us on Friday. Came back from a weeks holiday and before we went, I had turned the hot water off but left the heating on but at 10° in case we had a sharp frost. Came in, turned the heating up and the water on and....nothing. The lights on the controller were on for both but pump not working and boiler not firing. Switched off power, switched back on and everything started working. Also a Vaillant but only a couple of years old. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #383870 5th Jan 2020 2:41 pm
Boxbrownie

I am sure it’ll all be fine............probably Confused Regards

David

Post #383883 5th Jan 2020 5:31 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Finally, new boiler being installed today and tomorrow. Having got a quote from BG 'yes sir, sell the house to pay our quotation' I called/emailed four other firms on Trusted Trader, Rated Trader etc etc and only received a response from one. Local firm, well recommended, ironically about half-mile away. Can't fault them so far, field engineer attended on time, decent quote, due here in 20 minutes. Significant Other managed to get herself a couple of client visits both days so she'll be away from the noise, cold . . .
Let's just see what it's like tomorrow night Wink
Cat not happy, he senses somethings going on Laughing

Post #385083 23rd Jan 2020 8:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>