« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New boiler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
New boiler

Needing a new boiler and wondered if anyone has ever used any of the national on-line installers? Had British Gas round and seriously expensive. Couple of local firms been in, given estimates but a pita in trying to get them to give us a date when they might be able to instal - if you don't want the work, say so.
Couple of quotes from on-line firms but neither is local so they've never seen the house etc etc. Sense their estimates could go up with 'add-ons'

Post #383446 30th Dec 2019 5:37 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

British Gas may sound dear Sid but peace of mind of a good boiler, long warranty and professional workmanship is worth the £££'s even more so as you don't mess with gas mate Thumbs Up

Personally wouldn't bother with the on line lot as if there's a problem you need it sorted ASAP not messing about trying to contact them as for the locals you've caught them at their busiest time. Wink

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #383448 30th Dec 2019 5:54 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

We had a quote for a boiler change from BG for a Vaillant to be fitted in our loft in the same place as the old one. £3,400 that included £600 just to fit a finishing trim on the flue as 'scaffolding or a tower' would be needed. I ended up buying a better spec Vaillant boiler that BG quoted for and getting it fitted by a Vaillant approved local installer so we got the 7 year guarantee. I ended up paying £1,800 in total. Quite a difference. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #383456 30th Dec 2019 7:07 pm
Sidthecat

JulesK wrote:
British Gas may sound dear Sid but peace of mind of a good boiler, long warranty and professional workmanship is worth the £££'s even more so as you don't mess with gas mate Thumbs Up

Personally wouldn't bother with the on line lot as if there's a problem you need it sorted ASAP not messing about trying to contact them as for the locals you've caught them at their busiest time. Wink

Sheep

This is Significant Others view however their estimate is 50% higher than a couple of the independents - coming in at around £3500, as against £2300. I tried calling to question several 'extras' included in their estimate (such as extended flue, bits of pipe, flushing, inhibitor etc etc all of which the others have included as part of the routine installation) but been told by their call centre they can't help, I need to speak to the guy that attended - tried calling him three times since before Christmas yet no response Neutral It seems the call centre can only take my order Laughing Seems BG don't want the business?
Can't get any replies from independents now either ffs. Does no one want the job?

Post #383488 31st Dec 2019 6:21 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

So you have go rid of the old boiler! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383492 31st Dec 2019 8:30 am
Dartman the one

England 

BG charges are well over the top, the price of any top grade boiler on line is about £1400 including flue kit all companies fit in a day, so that seems to indicate that £2100 is labour and a couple of metres of pipe and elbow joints, even with a huge mark up lets say materials are £100 and the work a 8 hour day with two men, that makes it £125/hr, you may have a big company behind the quote but their training and qualifications are no better than any other Gas Safe fitter ( they ain't engineers no matter what the advertising blurb says)
The maximum price should be boiler price plus £1000 and they are doing well at that, I would suspect that anything higher is either over charging or they don't get it right in the first place and it covers remedial work, and that doesn't mean you will have heating and hot water while you wait for them to come back. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #383493 31st Dec 2019 8:31 am
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

One thing no one has mentioned, most independent installers only want the install business. If the appliance has a subsequent breakdown you will be directed to the manufacturers repair team. Most of the engineers that work directly for the manufacturer cover a very large area, therefore the waiting time for a repair appointment can be considerable.
British Gas, on the other hand has it's own dedicated repair engineers who are available 7 days a week and do warranty work for most manufacturers as well as none warranty work.
Just something to consider. Thumbs Up

As for a good boiler, you can't go wrong with a Worcester Bosch. Very Happy

Don't have to take my word for it though. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #383547 31st Dec 2019 10:48 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Thank you gasman Thumbs Up just as I alluded to in earlier post.

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #383563 1st Jan 2020 1:38 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dartman the one wrote:
BG charges are well over the top, the price of any top grade boiler on line is about £1400 including flue kit all companies fit in a day.

That is a sweeping statement that just isn’t true, sorry.

We will need a new boiler in a couple of years and pricing just the boiler alone is £2400 for a Vaillant and slightly less for a Worcester Bosch.......entirely depends upon the type of boiler and size of dwelling. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383564 1st Jan 2020 1:39 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Do you ever use heatpump systems? Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383566 1st Jan 2020 2:21 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Ground Source Heat Pumps are brilliant but in the UK you have to get the Environment Agency involved if doing a bore hole type in case you disturb the water table. Otherwise you need to own a small paddock for the other type ( brains go, can't remember the name ) . If in OZ I would definitely have one. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #383568 1st Jan 2020 2:44 pm
Sidthecat

We're in a small mid-terrace Victorian place, with a very small back garden and can just see the water boards faces if I ask to drill a Censored hole through the middle of the front room Rolling with laughter

Post #383570 1st Jan 2020 3:31 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Just fitted a gshp system, but not domestic, it's 3x 84kw pumps linked to 10000m of underground pipe loops. Very impressive tech,
But gshp does pump out high temp water efficiently so is only really good for central heating duties not hot water for taps/showers.
Works best in well insulated houses otherwise you need to add underfloor piping and or oversized radiators.
My system outputs water at approx 42c, fine for heating poultry sheds to 32c but needs a huge fan assisted radiator At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #383577 1st Jan 2020 5:00 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

And all we have to do is keep the potatoes cold Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383582 1st Jan 2020 6:51 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Boxbrownie wrote:
Dartman the one wrote:
BG charges are well over the top, the price of any top grade boiler on line is about £1400 including flue kit all companies fit in a day.

That is a sweeping statement that just isn’t true, sorry.

We will need a new boiler in a couple of years and pricing just the boiler alone is £2400 for a Vaillant and slightly less for a Worcester Bosch.......entirely depends upon the type of boiler and size of dwelling.

That price is for a 48kw system boiler, and not discounted, most of us don't live in castles and a 35kw combi will suit the average 4/5 bedroom house, in Syd's case a 28kw combi would suit providing his water pressure is high enough. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #383583 1st Jan 2020 7:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>