Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Soundproofing/Deadning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Nice work Thumbs Up

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #366000 9th Feb 2019 6:57 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have stuck on the butyl first, then engine bay acoustic mat, then more mat covering the bonnet, then more discs/offcuts on the mat. Once the original panel goes back on you wouldn't know there is anything extra underneath.

I threaded a longer piece of acoustic mat through the square holes at the front of the bonnet & pulled back the backing film with an attached line (doubled up masking tape)

Click image to enlarge

I haven't been too precious with exact size as you don't see any of it.
Click image to enlarge

I put a sheet of 0.25mm/3mm aluminium heat/acoustic shielding behind the rear heat shield. Also a left over piece of the bonnet acoustic mat on the aluminium. Once all back together you wouldn't know it was there.
Click image to enlarge

Also stuck some aluminium shielding around the battery (I will post templates later as this job was a pain)
Click image to enlarge

The car sounds a touch quieter, but it is more the edge has been taken off the more irritating sounds, not that they were that bad to start with. But there is "quality" in the lower level of sound which feels better. The tyre noise is better as well. & now having insulation in the front it has brought back the noise balance front to back to a good level.

Still have to do the rear left & the left A pillar & bonnet release panel. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #366321 13th Feb 2019 8:06 am
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Are you keeping track of how much weight you are adding?

Post #366348 13th Feb 2019 12:20 pm
Lightwater

I haven't actually added that much weight as the weight is in the butyl & have only used 1 box less offcuts. The other items are all light.

I wasn't going to do the ceiling but had a bit of a poke around & it really wasn't that difficult. I only put acoustic foam in the ceiling & thin pieces of poly batts for a bit more thermal insulation! I didn't think it was worthwhile putting the butyl up there.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear left side is finished as well. Did a drive around the block & the car sounds a bit quieter, but it is the lack of tinnyness that is really nice. It all has a quality feel to the sound. Can't really hear the all terrain tyres either front or back, but I do need to take it for a proper drive. I think is was really worth the effort as I intend keeping the car for the long run.

The floor of the car has very thick insulation so I think it is a bit pointless adding any further materials here. All doors close nicely, feels far more solid, even though they are good to start with.

Outback roads should be a bit easier to cope with as 200 km of corrugation between breaks is exhausting. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 14th Feb 2019 7:51 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #366419 14th Feb 2019 7:44 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Wow Bow down
Now that your done can you finish mine off now Laughing MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #366420 14th Feb 2019 7:50 am
Lightwater

I took the car around our extensive network of local goat tracks, really happy with the result. You are not going to turn the car into a Bentley, but you get a really nice mellow sound. Overall the car is a reasonable amount quieter. But the real benefit is any harshness is gone. There is a depth to the tone to the car that makes it an even nicer place to be than it was before.

If one feels the urgent need to burn money on a car, I recommend do acoustic insulation first. You don't get bling! But you do get piece & quite that has far more value for quality of life than any accessories you stick on a car.

Overall it was not difficult to do, just take you time & work from the rear to the front.

Materials:
1.8 m2 butyl, (not needed on ceiling) you do not need to cover everything.
7.2 m2 acoustic foam (a few little more places I might do. B pillars have none or the door sills, so will get another 1.8 m2, but it can wait awhile, but really it is not needed)
1.5 m2 bonnet lining, the expensive stuff, not the foam.
600 x 1060 0.25mm/3mm aluminium/fibreglass stick on sheet.
Offcut of poly batt for ceiling, passenger area only.
Offcut of acoustic thick pyramid foam stuffed in above rear shocks.
A bit of aluminium tape to cover one sharp edge of aluminium I put around battery box.
Roller.
Trim panel removal tools.

About 5 days of actual work at a relatively leisurely pace, but don't rush it as it is petty tiring work. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #366487 15th Feb 2019 12:14 am
Lightwater

Battery cover templates:

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #366489 15th Feb 2019 4:11 am
Lightwater

Over the new year I drove to Kosciuszko NP. The roads south of Sydney are concrete & they create a very irritating sound. Two months later back on the same road but further this time, the car is a lot quieter. There is no getting away from the sound but it has been reduced reasonably. It is the high frequency sound that has been cut back the most.

I bought a 1.3m2 piece of mass loaded vinyl without foam backing & used the front floor mats as templates but ran the vinyl a bit higher pass the steering column & also into the bottom of the fuse box.

I bought another sheet of the expensive bonnet lining & added another layer down about 350mm on the fire wall. Also stuck some on the inside of the fuse box but left a gap so one can still read the fuse locations. Plus stuck a few bits here & there. When I get time I will figure out where to add more.

Ceiling: for those without skylights! It is worth adding a layer of foam to the ceiling. Also shove in some polybatt insulation, it has cut back heat entering the car from above. If you have a dark coloured car it would be even more worthwhile.

I have stuck a bit of foam around the light console on the ceiling but not on the ceiling in the area above where the sun visors fold home. I will have another look at this area to see if I can get anything in that area. I think it is worth the effort if there is room, firstly to reduce heat as this area is a lot warmer than the ceiling behind. Also the car needs acoustic insulation in the front wherever you can put it to balance the car's sound. If the rear is too quiet the front will sound louder.

At some stage I will also put something behind the plastic where the tweeters are & if possible even around the plastic door frame trim cover. I might even add a bit of butyl to the front doors' metal when I remove the door lining.

Still have to do the B column & door sills. Also bought a sheet of 6mm foam so I can stick it where the thick acoustic foam will not fit. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #367253 23rd Feb 2019 11:39 pm
Lightwater

Have pulled the car apart again to finish off the acoustic insulation over the boot area. Also chucked in some thin polyester batts in the rear ceiling, so the whole ceiling is now done. Also threaded the acoustic foam into the stiffening cross bars, using a piece of backing paper twice as long, doubled back, then pulling the end of the paper when the foam was in place. A bit tricky but the foam is in a reasonable position & the hollow beams filled fairly well.

Over the driver & front passenger I have stuck acoustic foam on the back side of ceiling lining panel. Also tried to fill gaps and hollows around the front & pushed the acoustic foam into the structural section where the windscreen meats the roof, above the sun visors. I have noticed on hot days that the sun visor area was a fair bit warmer than the main ceiling due to lack of insulation. So this should be better now, about as much as one can do within reason.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also doing the left C pillar which I hadn't done before as I had run out of material, & doing the B pillars & door sills. So that is probably about it. Ceiling is back in place, a bit tricky but I propped it up in the centre of the car until I screwed the 4 grab handles back on.

I have had 2 people comment that it is a quiet car. I said it is quiet, & not saying anything about the acoustic insulation before or after, to get some some unbiased views on a quiet car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #372913 1st Jun 2019 9:50 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You have certainly been busy again Very Happy , I see you have lined the A Pillar trim with sound deadening, now I am not familiar with the layout exactly in the FL2 but it has curtain airbags, not sure if these extend down the A Pillars or just across the tumblehome, if there are bags under the A Pillar trims I’d advice removing the sound deadening on the trim, it is designed to stay in place but split and allow the bag out, if the trim does not split the bag will blow the trim off faster than a bullet and turn that few grams into a couple of kilos effectively, just a heads up rather than a “heads off” Shocked

Come on then......what’s the next mod? Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372914 1st Jun 2019 10:58 am
Lightwater

The A pillar cover has a snap line. I looked very carefully at the way the airbag would deploy so I would not become a late casualty of the French Revolution!

Mind you, it probably is the best way to go, if you have ever fainted from low blood, lopping ones head off sends a message in no uncurtain terms announcing low blood pressure, quite pleasant if you have every smashed your thumb with a hammer, becoming conscious again is not recommended, personal experience!

I made sure the acoustic foam was in 2 sections across the airbag panel snap line.

Some of the mildly fiddly bits on the B pillar lower panel. 12mm foam on the sides & 6mm foam on the wider face into the car.

Click image to enlarge

I went for a short drive & subject to personal bias, I think the car is a bit quieter again. The acoustic foam on the back side of the ceiling over the driver is probably the easiest to do for the most gain, as I was told by an acoustic expert, fix the areas first that are facing the ears. Not easy in a car but one can only try!

The rear seat belts there is a panel which snaps out for storing items not to be found, I have no idea what this space is actually for, so I filled it with acoustic foam.

Save the larger pieces of backing adhesive paper for later to re-stick on other pieces of acoustic foam to apply to in difficult corners.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #372943 2nd Jun 2019 5:39 am
Boxbrownie

That’s good, I could not see any gap so thought to warn you.

After seeing all that effort sound proofing I really must get on and find an annoying little rattle which occasionally emanates from the sunroof shade/rear interior lamp position, sound like the “roller blind” is loose or lost its tension, then again on our short journeys compared to yours it cannot be half as annoying as a rattle that lasts few thousand kilometres constantly Laughing Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372946 2nd Jun 2019 7:34 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Just turning the audio a little higher would deafen any annoying rattles surely Wink

Post #372950 2nd Jun 2019 8:38 am
Lightwater

After doing this, for the people who complain about the seat belt noise, pull the panel off, the lower B panel first. There is not a lot behind there, it is amazing the simplicity of design. You just need a star key bit for the screw behind the airbag logo. The logs around the car leaver out with a small butter knife or similar, they hide screws, that's all! With a bit of packing & making sure the hight adjuster still moves there is not a lot that can go wrong. The door seals around the door frame simply push back on to the body. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #372951 2nd Jun 2019 8:45 am
Boxbrownie

Sidthecat wrote:
Just turning the audio a little higher would deafen any annoying rattles surely Wink

Unfortunately not for us, we seldom listen to the radio in our vehicles and when we do it’s almost always the local station for traffic updates........I listen to music in a room which doesn’t resonate like a baked bean can when the volume is turned up Laughing Regards

David

Post #372955 2nd Jun 2019 10:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>