Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Soundproofing/Deadning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Haven't been in the car much lately but have stuffed offcuts in these corners. You can get quite a bit of foam on the passenger side filling in the gaps around a large electrical fitting. Seems to help a bit quietening things a bit from the front tyres. It's not difficult & better than throwing offcuts away!

Edit 1: Went for a drive today, definitely a bit less noise coming up from this area. As said before, not a lot, but a bit here & there all helps.

Edit 2: I have leftovers of this accoustic insulation from setting up a computer room. I have put a few bits over the rear shocks to fill up space previously.

Now I have filled up the area above the glovebox, the under side of the dashboard & any other areas in there I could stuff a bit of insulation. It works really well deadening this area. The triangle profile is not necessary it's just what I had. Bulk thickness helps with the lower frequencies.

Have to have another poke around the driver's side to see if there are a few spaces where I can stuff a bit in there.

Edit 3: There is a fair bit of room behind the dashboard on the right of the steering wheel. Access from the side is a bit tight but I just poked in offcuts of the acoustic foam, squashing them up to get through the hole. There are a couple of cables so just be a bit careful & push them to the side a bit. I also folded up a few pieces of 6mm acoustic insulation & pushed them into a gap behind the panel next to the airbag panel. Also stuck a bit of 6mm on the back of the trim panel I pulled off to get access.

Overall probably the easiest job on the whole car.

Edit 4: I have stuffed bits of pyramid foam in gaps around this area (the Carbuilder foam I had already done) & it has made a bit of a difference, so now all gaps between components have foam, & pushed some more foam in gaps behind the panels (not taken off in this photo). So well worth using up any off cuts. The pyramid foam work well here, after it is pushed into the gap & massaged a bit it expands to fill the gap.

Click image to enlarge

Basically if there is a gap, fill it. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #396557 4th Sep 2020 5:31 am
Lightwater

I had a bit of a poke around the console, some spaces around the edge. I didn't fill up the centre area completely as I think there needs to be a bit of air flow so components don't overheat. The outside faces of the 2 air ducts I stuck on some 6mm acoustic foam (not shown in photo).

Always seem to loose a metal clip off the top speaker trim panel. I have some spares. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #397615 29th Sep 2020 8:20 am
Lightwater

Edit 1: I pulled out the vent, stuffed in small bits of pyramid foam. Also unscrewed the dashboard speakers, they were a little difficult to lift out as the metal edge towards the centre of the car would catch on the dashboard, but it not difficult to remove as such. Stuffed a bit more foam around the edge of the speaker opening.

It took quite a tug to put the vents out as the 2 metal clips hold on very well. One did bend, but I bent it back, probably after 2 or 3 times it would work harden & snap.

Have been replacing trim panel clips with ones with a rubber gasket, another little thing to reduce noise transmission.

Edit 2: I have partly removed the console between the front seats. Found a few spaces in there, but careful to leave enough clearance for the console sliding cover.

So, some pyramid insulation on the small section of bare metal of the transmission tunnel, a block of foam under the forward & permanent cup holder & electronic handbrake, some insulation down either side & behind the gear stick mechanism.

Also a few small bits of pyramid insulation at the rear of the console under that tray at the tail end.

I also removed the plastic trim (2 screws up through the top) around the driver's instrument panel. There is a reasonably large gap above the actual display & under the dashboard, so pushed pyramid insulation in the gap. While at it I ran a power supply from the fusebox to my ARB TPMS sitting in the bottom left corner of the instrument display.

Have also filled in the bottom of the A column trim panels with pyramid foam to the bottom of the airbag mounting. Also more under the dashboard right up in the corner under bottom of the windscreen, passenger side.

I have removed the rear footwell carpet mat holders ages ago, they were a pain in the neck when carrying water containers for camping. There is a hole roughly 5cm to the bare metal floor, so stuffed a lot of offcuts of pyramid foam in through the pairs of small holes through the carpet.

After getting the car back together went for a drive to make sure everything works. Well, that was an improvement in noise reduction, probably one of the biggest single steps in improvement to date. Those Cones of Silence are looking that bit closer, very happy!

Edit 3: Some technical reading in this link, Sound Absorption Coefficient, but there are some easier to understand graphs further down the page. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engin...oefficient

Edit 4: I have stuffed some pyramid foam in these structural sections, through the hole around the air vent to the rear, & some small long strips through the 2 small holes close to the door, with a stick.

Also a bit up under the seats. Also pushed some up the B column making sure it doesn't interfere with the seatbelts.

(Compressors under driver's seat)

The car is sounding good, well, what left there is to hear! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #397616 29th Sep 2020 8:29 am
Lightwater

'New Jaguar Land Rover noise cancellation tech helps reduce driver fatigue.'

https://www.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2020/...er-fatigue

'The technology, introduced on the new Jaguar F-PACE, new Jaguar XF and Range Rover Velar, is capable of lowering unwanted noise peaks by 10dB and overall noise levels by 3-4dB – the equivalent of turning down the in-car sound system by four ‘steps’. This significant reduction in exposure to low-frequency noises up to 300Hz can help prevent driver fatigue on longer journeys**.'

Edit 1:

An interesting article reducing noise on a 4WD bus. I know it's not a car but there are a few numbers & graphs to take onboard if one is going through this process of installing acoustic insulation.

https://www.megasorber.com/soundproofing-case-studies/4wd-coach

'At a cruising speed of 80km/h, it is evident that:

Before soundproofing, the overall noise level was about 76 dB(A). The vehicle had a very high whining noise level at 800Hz — 12 dB(A) higher that the noise level at other frequencies. This whining noise was the main cause of passenger discomfort and headaches.

The Megasorber soundproofing package reduced the overall noise level from 76 dB(A) to 68 dB(A).

This soundproofing package also reduced the whining noise by 9 dB(A), ie. from 75 dB(A) to 66 dB(A). As a result, it dramatically reduced the level of annoyance.'

I have bought some 25mm thick foam with & without mass loaded layer for a bit of experimenting.

Edit 2:

I have added the 25mm foam (non mass loaded) to the front 1/3 section & the car seemed quieter, more so from outside. A lot of room in the ceiling.

Have now done the middle & rear sections. With the 10mm foam I originally put in the roof it is all acting like an acoustic bass trap, a tight bass which is nice.

Will have to take it for a decent drive, but the first brief impressions are that the things are quieter from other cars passing.

Stuffed some foam through the holes, the area in the roof above the doors.

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #398340 15th Oct 2020 10:00 am
Lightwater

I have been for a drive now with the additional 25mm plus the first lot of 10mm I originally put in the roof. I also stuck 10mm on the ceiling lining just over the driver & front passenger, second round of pulling the car apart. This was to try & balance the noise in the car, because I found if you get the rear too quiet, the car sounds wrong.

Wow, that was impressive!

The additional 25mm foam showed how much sound was coming into the car via the ceiling even though it never felt like the sound ever came from there. Probably there is some noise transmission through the largest panel of the car. The entire roof other than the two cross beams now has in total 35mm of foam & 45mm in the front third (the 45mm is a touch thick now, but as I already installed the second layer of 10mm on the top side of the ceiling liner I wasn't going to pull it off). The polyester batts I have left in the roof.

The car really feels like it has double glazing. Noise from other vehicles is impressively controlled, quiet & feels distant from the car.

The only "offensive" noises now are really a bit of transmission noise. As I have the petrol engine it will be a bit quieter than the diesel, but the lower pitch of a diesel should be well controlled.

The noisiest sound now is the all terrain tyres, even though the actual noise is in all respects pretty quiet. I purposely drove over reflectors on the road & other road imperfections which all are very quiet & sort of removed from the car. So the underlying noise from the tyres is that AT drone they make, more so when they are older.

In general on my last holiday I have noticed the the AT tyres seem to sound quieter on dirt roads than sealed roads. Concrete roads are really good now.

If you have road tyres I think the quality of the sound would be truely impressive, or even better road tyre with foam inside.

For those in Australia, Whitworth Marine have the 25mm foam, you will need 2 sheets for the ceiling. I have used the non mass loaded foam in the roof, but I had bought a sheet of mass load foam but did not use this. I got this for the engine bay & have cut a few pieces to test but removed them at this stage. Now with the roof done adding more in the engine bay I don't think it is worthwhile.

For those with skylights if you can fill the roof around the edges without interfering with the roof mechanism I think it should improve sound quality a lot.

Tip, ceiling clip:

If you broke the clip at the rear of the ceiling panel to hold it up (I forgot to take a photo) I ground 2 edges off a LR013135 clip, so the 4 retainers were not north south in relation to the car but at 45°, with an angle grinder (a file will do) & fitted it into the part which slides into the part glued onto the ceiling liner. Works really well. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #399691 10th Nov 2020 8:00 pm
CraigMate

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Just, wow Bow down

Post #408081 21st May 2021 9:07 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Very impressive, worth doing if I ever have to strip the
motor out again. Thumbs Up
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #408084 21st May 2021 9:18 am
Lightwater

A few weeks ago I put my 2 spare unused all terrain tyres on the front, basically no noise from the front from tyres. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #409345 24th Jun 2021 8:01 am
Lightwater

Being bored to tears thought I would experiment with some 50mm acoustic foam in the boot. The vertical piece has the ridges cut off to jam behind the boot cover.

The foam makes a considerable difference to the rear of the car. Also doesn't seem to reduce sound from the subwoofer, but only did a quick test.

One could fill the gaps around the spare wheel or if you have a fart repair kit, you could fill the wheel well.

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #422328 14th Jun 2022 5:49 am
Lightwater

ABC, Radio National, The Science Show. An interesting program on sound. Interesting part on sound & its environment which being aware one can apply to the car.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/progr...4/13948240

There is a transcript as well as audio.

'Fergus Fricke: You don't want echoes, that's a very important thing to avoid. There have been halls that have had echoes in them. The Albert Hall in London, for instance, when it opened was found to have an echo, and this was because it had a domed ceiling and the dome focused the sound, and because the sound had to travel many metres to the domed ceiling and then come back to the audience, it meant that it came back as a focused sound very late and was heard as a distinct repeat of the original sound.

Ian Johnston: How can you fix that sort of thing?

Fergus Fricke: Well, in the case of the Albert Hall in London it was fixed by putting clouds in the dome, reflectors that reflect the sound down to the audience before it reaches the dome itself and any sound that does get up to the dome itself is re-reflected by the tops of the reflectors, and so the whole sound becomes much more diffuse.' Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #422908 2nd Jul 2022 6:56 am
Lightwater

Lightwater wrote:
A few weeks ago I put my 2 spare unused all terrain tyres on the front, basically no noise from the front from tyres.

For the last few months I have been regularly driving the car. It is impressive the difference changing the tyres left right. I can clearly see if I had some non all terrain tyres just how quiet the car would be.

I don't have solar film on the windows & not really interested, but I believe this helps a touch. Failing actual having double glazing the windows there is not much one can do.

Noise levels of tyres & road surface, engine (petrol) & other vehicles. They are all roughly equal, but all at an impressively distant or removal feeling from the acoustic environment.

With some nice classical music on, which in general we have off, at sensible listening levels, the background noise is pretty much so trivial it makes for a really relaxing place to be. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #424942 4th Sep 2022 9:15 pm
FL2Vano

Russia 

I'll lose sleep until I do the same! MY13 SD4 HSE Lux
IAM2.1 Level 3
Meridian Premium Surround Sound with Extra Upgrade

Post #425522 23rd Sep 2022 12:13 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Will have so much insulation in that car, on the floor, doors, roof . . . I’m surprised he can still get in it Wink Any more and it’ll be like squeezing between two mattresses

Post #425526 23rd Sep 2022 3:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345