Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Soundproofing/Deadning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Mr Brownie, it was intended tongue in cheek Wink . I appreciate that any little rattle is indeed annoying

Post #372977 2nd Jun 2019 5:59 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sid, don’t worry I knew that......but in all seriousness we really don’t often have any music onunless it’s on between the chatting on the local station, boring old fart here Rolling with laughter

Besides Mrs BB doesn’t like Black Sabbath, LED Zeppelin et al at No.11..... Twisted Evil Wink Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372978 2nd Jun 2019 6:03 pm
Boxbrownie

That’s number 11 in the volume scale......not in Downing Street, then again don’t suppose Ozzie could do much worse with the economy Laughing Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372979 2nd Jun 2019 6:04 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

We generally don't have the car radio on, turning into an old fart. Need to concentrate more on every increasing traffic & goat track roads. Also get a bit tired of loud exhausts due to owners tiny 21 digit!

Our economy is all smoke & mirrors (made in China), especially smoke from coal! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #372988 2nd Jun 2019 10:22 pm
Boxbrownie

Laughing

I was actually referring to No11 on the volume scale (as in Marshall amps) and wishing it not to get confused with No11 Downing Street as in the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and confusing him with Ozzie Osbourne of Black Sabbath one of the groups mentioned......Ozzie of course would be Aussie if referring to your lovely country Laughing

I hope I cleared that up Embarassed

Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #373004 3rd Jun 2019 9:56 am
Boxbrownie

Lightwater wrote:

Our economy is all smoke & mirrors (made in China), especially smoke from coal!

Isn’t everybodies? Sad Regards

David

Post #373005 3rd Jun 2019 9:58 am
Lightwater

I have added stage 1 & covered it with stage 2 12mm foam on the door, covering where the mirror is mounted. Also lined the plastic trim with stage 1 & stage 2, layering up the 12mm foam a bit.

Click image to enlarge

Also ran 6mm foam about 15mm wide strip around the plastic trim. Don't know if this helps but bits here & there add up. Since I had to take the trim off I thought I may as well add some foam. Hoping this reduces some of the wind noise transmitted through the mirror mounting. I won't be testing this for the foreseeable future, but positioning myself in the centre of the car, without sitting on the gear stick! The driver's side mirror motor is quieter than the left side which I haven't done yet. One can still hear the motor but is sounds a bit deader & a little more removed. So not a bad result. If there is the same reduction with wind noise I will be happy. The tweeter trim doesn't have that hollow tinny sound any more.
Click image to enlarge

I put this foam behind the glove box & wrapped it around to the left of the glove box. 2 pieces of 12mm foam back to back so it can be removed if needed. Also stuck a few pieces of foam behind the trim left & right of the glove box.
Click image to enlarge

Also lined the driver's door handle with some 6mm foam, cutting a hole where one's fingers go into the inside of the handle, there is only about 0.5mm gap between the inner & out part of the 2 pieces of the handle when snapped back together. The handle sounds a touch less tinny.

Went for a short drive. Driving over the cat's eyes in the road, they are much quieter now with all the insulation. The sound is quite removed from the car.

I'm going to stick insulation on the outer edges of the rear seats as the is a gap under the seat which is bare metal, just waiting for some panel clips to turn up as I have broken a few in this area previously.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

6mm foam in the plastic trim around the door window. Edge of foam tapered a bit to fit the door.
Click image to enlarge

90% of the insulation is on the panel. I just added a bit more while the panel was off.
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #373256 8th Jun 2019 8:54 am
Lightwater

Filled in the centre trim with 2 thicknesses of 6mm foam. Where the speaker would sit for the premium hifi I reversed the foam so it is not sticky through the speaker vent. You just cut the foam to the overall size & then press the paper side of the foam onto the pattern to leave an impression on the backing paper.

Click image to enlarge

Second layer of 6mm foam.
Click image to enlarge

Where the speaker sits I stuck 6mm foam on the back of mass loaded vinyl.
Click image to enlarge

6mm foam on the dashboard side trims. A whisker thick at the front edge by about 1mm but it shoud compress, but not really noticeable.
Click image to enlarge

I bought 1 additional sheet of 12mm foam above & beyond the 1 extra sheet for just in case. So basically 2 extra sheets. It is amazing where it all goes & I have been pretty careful not wasting it. 1 sheet of 6mm is enough for the tight areas.

There is a bit of insulation on the back of the trim panel, but thought I would stuff a bit in here. Also stuck some 6mm on the back of the black trim panel. Removing the screw at the bottom gives one a bit more room. I doubled over the backing paper (a replacement spare piece saved) in a left & right half & held one side in place & pulled the paper down carefully. Once that side was stuck on a bit then I pulled down the other half. It worked quite well so the back side of the panel in completely covered.
Click image to enlarge

The main bit of foam here is 12mm & 6mm stuck back to back so the 18mm thick block is removable. Stuffed a few bits in the metal frame. It is very "ringy", the foam deadened it a bit.
Click image to enlarge

Post #373332 10th Jun 2019 5:01 am
Lightwater

Cones of Silence...... well not quite, but having done under the outside edges of the seats with butyl, foam & some other acoustic foam that I had as it was a lot thicker. Filled each space completely.

Fully lined the wheel arch cover & covered the under side of the wheel arch foam filler block, forward of the wheel arch. Just tried to fill in everywhere with foam, also left over bits engine bay liner. Tried to fill in things forward of the rear wheel arches as best as v. Even filled the two cubby holes at the rear seat belts, the panel pulls off.

The back of the sill panels with foam 12mm or 6mm, bottom of B pillar facing the doors with butyl, Below the C Column with butyl.

Click image to enlarge

The blue pipe is the air line for the 1.2kW air compressor setup!
Click image to enlarge

I have also lined the lid of the battery box with engine bay liner & stuck on some bits up underneath the plastic panel. The cabin air intake in the engine bay I covered the underneath side of the sheet of metal that sticks our at 45 degrees with 2 thicknesses of engine bay liner.

Pretty well done as much as I can do, & ran out of foam again for the last few bits. The car is at another level of quietness compared to where I had got to a few months ago.

Although not quite the Cones of Silence, the car is really impressive. The sound you do get is very mellow & to remove much more things would get a bit too quiet.

The doors & boot close so nicely now, not that they were bad before. Just a nice soft thud, no brightness to the sound at all.

Materials;
2 packs of Stage 1. About 2.7m2 used.
5 packs of Stage 2 multi layer foam. 9.0m2 all used.
1 sheet 1200 x 900 6mm foam. 1.08m2 all used.
1 sheet 1350 x 1000 Mass loaded vinyl under floor mats (no foam backing) & ran as high as possible up fire wall. I haven't done the rear yet, but may double up on the driver's side, just need to listen to the car more carefully.
2 sheets of premium engine bay liner. About 1.5 sheets used, 2.25m2. Expensive stuff!
1 sheet heavy heat shield 1060 x 600. A 600 x 500 sheet would be enough if you are not covering the battery box.

A roller & panel removing tools, both are a must.

Keep larger pieces of backing paper, handy where you need to get insulation in place then pull the backing paper off.

Lots of A4 paper & masking tape for templates. Keep templates & clearly label them for other side of car, you will save a lot of time.

Good quality scissors.

Lighter fuel (Shellite) for cleaning sticky residue off scissors.

Vacuum, you will be surprised at the amount of dirt behind lower trim panels. (old 747s are 2 tonnes heavier due to dirt!)

About 2 weeks of spare time!

What I would get next time is one sheet of 3mm foam to cover the areas where 6mm is too thick. Seems a bit petty but if you are going this far you may as well have some 3mm at hand.

Also get a pile of panel clips, they are not cheap & you will break them, just how it is!
Door liners: LR013135
Boot liners & tail gate liner: LR006101 (you will break a lot of these)
Sills, & can be used on upper column panels which don't have the rubber, which will reduce sound transmission, anything to help at ear level: LR003015 (Also a lot of these will get broken)
Dashboard trims: FYC500040 (I lost two & recovered one, I know roughly where the other one is)
Boot hook clip brackets: LR004797
(I accidentally damaged one) Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Last edited by Lightwater on 28th Oct 2019 9:56 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #373673 17th Jun 2019 9:12 am
Lightwater

Looking for places to stuff offcuts. I removed the plastic panel the wipers go through. The hardest part was freeing the wipers. I put some multigrips under the wiper arm around the drive shaft, not to grip it, but simply to create mass. With the nut (15mm) loosened off one turn, I carefully hit the nut with a hammer. The drivers side took 30 hits to break free, the passenger side only 3 hits. (mark a wiper so you know which one goes where when putting back in place, saves time thinking! Also mark on the glass with masking tape or post it note etc the position the wipers sit before taking off)

Once the wipers were off the rest was easy, unscrew the clip pins at the front. I cleaned everything out, quite a bit of red dust. Pulled the plastic strip off the bottom of the windscreen, the volume of dirt, sand & fine muck in the strip & on the bottom edge of the glass was surprising.

I unclipped the plastic bottom half of where the cabin air first goes through the grill in the plastic panel & cleaned that out as well.

In this bay I stuck on some butyl followed by engine bay insulation, Just did the easier areas & not around the wiper side as this was really dirty from dust. Also up under the windscreen back to the firewall, there is a nice flat area, put butyl & engine bay insulation there as well.

Click image to enlarge

Behind the box with the red handles a stuck on a sheet of the aluminium insulation the same as I stuck around the battery box. Even though it is very thin it provides some deadening, & it is another barrier from heat from the engine bay.
Click image to enlarge

Aluminium insulation
Click image to enlarge

In the foreground the underside of the plastic panel new with insulation. In background insulation on firewall left & right of cabin air intake. I was just able to get a hand in the intake & clean out red dust sitting on the bottom & generally covering all sides in a film of dust. An old tooth brush is handy.
Click image to enlarge

If you have never pulled up the engine cover, do it & see all the dirt underneath! The cover simply clips back on with four location guides, easy! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #373715 18th Jun 2019 8:56 am
Lightwater

Putting butyl & acoustic foam behind the tweeters has quietened the mirror motors quite a bit & lowered the tone so they don't sound so tinny. The subtle tone from the motors sounds quite nice now!

Also hoping that filling this area & the plastic trim around the door will cut back the mirror wind noise. Haven't had a chance to test this out but everything is so much quieter here that I can't see why there shouldn't be a worthwhile improvement.

Templates for mirror & tweeter area. The images are for an A4 printer so do not scale, just crop, there should be enough margin around the edges.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Use some boat carpet in the door pockets to stop things rattling around. This one you will need to use a larger printer or cut & paste.
Click image to enlarge

Or print an A4 of these two images, do not scale, crop image if needed & stick the two together.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That's the last of the butyl. Went for a quick drive, it's hard to say if there is any change as the insulation on the floor is pretty good. The last of the noise of any consequence is basically from the front. The butyl on the passenger side I could push it up quite high on the fire wall behind the foam & pull off a folded over piece of backing paper.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #373767 19th Jun 2019 7:25 am
Lightwater

A bit of tidying up. The rear door needed a few bits removed so the panel would sit flush on the door. While at it I ran a 20 to 30mm strip of leftover engine bay insulation around the plastic door frame trim, it does deaden it a bit. When removing the plastic trim start from both ends as it gets a bit stuck at the top of the fixed window vertical metal dividing frame. When putting it back on, the top corners you will need to get a thin screwdriver or butter knife & ease the plastic over the rubber around the curved corned. It's not difficult, just be patient.

Click image to enlarge

I stuffed a doubled up strip of insulation in here with a narrow piece of metal, left the backing paper on as it isn't going anywhere & also at the other end around the window switch, again just stuffed bits in with the backing paper on otherwise you will not get it in.
Click image to enlarge

A test on a concrete road with joining slabs at about 70kph then slowing down to about 50kph. I have no idea how accurate these apps are, but simply just out of interest, but it must be way out because it is very quiet in the car.

The only way to test the car is buy a meter & for one task it is not worth it. But I do have the replacement fan I put in the fridge. It is 29.7db & has been built in to make it as quite as possible, & an open cell foam dust filter which knocks a slight edge off the sound. There is also the cover on the fridge with additional foam so the fridge is pretty quiet. It is a tossup between the fan & the compressor which is loudest or rather quietest! I can just pick up the sound from the fan in the background while driving.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At the end of the day it is quality of the sound, everything feels solid, muted, no harshness. The mirror motors have a hushed tone to them, that's the type of sound one is hearing throughout the car. The back is very quiet. There is not a lot more I can do to the front.

Filling in the rear facing edge & bottom of the rear door panels (as noted in above photo) has helped with rear tyre noise. I stuck a few small pieces of leftover engine bay insulation on the rear doors as well. All four door window frame plastic trims are insulated. Tried to get as much insulation at ear level as I could find places for it.

3mm acoustic insulation on back of door pocket carpet. It won't do much but it has removed the usual higher frequency drumminess from the door pocket molding.
Click image to enlarge

Post #373964 24th Jun 2019 10:13 am
Lightwater

I bought a roll of the van liner, 10mm thick with a foil face. The foil has a fibre in it so it is not completely useless. It is the same foam as the others so has a good volume if you need to fill things up quickly & it sticks to itself really well.

3mm, 6mm, 11mm & 10mm:

Click image to enlarge

In a previous place I had a panel garage door which was easy to insulate. Always wanted to put something on the B&D roller door. It had to be thin & it is not going to do a lot of thermal insulation, but anything is better than nothing.

So 6mm in the valleys & 3mm on the ridges. 75mm wide strips (73-74mm would have been better) for the valleys & you need to cut the width precisely for a neat job, I got pretty good towards the end! 3mm for the ridges is 30mm wide. The bottom 4 ridges I could do in 6mm as they don't roll into the door & all in one sheet, a bit tricky but managed reasonably well, a second person to hold the other end of the sheet would make life easier.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I didn't do this to make it quieter but it is surprising the difference it has made. I also put the insulation around the edge but this was to keep dust, dirt & leafs out of the garage. I could never work out how many leafs get into the garage!

The large roll of 6mm acoustic foam doesn't have printing on it. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #374700 7th Jul 2019 12:16 am
Lightwater

A bit more up above the pedals & steering column. An absolute sh_t of a job. Too old for this stuff so here are the templates for the lazy ones!

Click image to enlarge

I did two 10mm layers back to back (black outline) so nothing is stuck to the car. It's all wedged in place but removable in one large block 46mm thick. I used the silver van liner as it was the thickest I had. I also think it needed a heaver foam up here for a bit more mass. Then a third 10mm layer stuck on top (blue outline). Forth 10mm layer (red outline). Lastly a 6mm black foam layer to cover the silver (also red outline).

A4 size templates do not scale, should be enough margin to crop. Stick together.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Above the accelerator, a 10mm & 6mm, then 3 more smaller layers of 6mm. This was pretty reasonable to do.
Click image to enlarge

The large mass of acoustic foam has done something to reduce the noise from the front. Not a huge amount but noticeable, but it is more of about the noise balance in the car. The back is so quiet that the front needed a bit more insulation. So the balance is pretty good now.

I have also stuffed the front doors full of foam as much as I could, especially on the forward (hinge) end to try & reduce noise from the front of the car. It did work to a reasonable degree, but I felt a bit more needed to be done as far forward as possible, so I contemplated the fire wall. Hence the above templates.

Just have to put some acoustic foam in the tyres like Tesla to make the electric car sound quieter!

P.S. Some may have noticed I have removed the footwell globe. When remote camping for longer periods they are a real painful vampire draw on the battery. Maybe I should wire in a switch city on/outback off!

Edit: I stuck 3 more layers of 6mm on, just have to cut a couple of cm off the right of the foam for the brake pedal & a couple of cm off the bottom for the steering column.

This large lump of foam does work reducing noise from the front.

Edit 2: Been out & about, & on some local concrete roads. I am pretty impressed with the foam above the pedals. I now think this is the first bit to do at the front of the car for the greatest gain.

Edit 3: I'm in the outback currently & am really impressed with the acoustic insulation. Have been on various road surfaces & the car is a lot quieter than before. Also been on some unsealed roads & that is an improvement as well. The only thing left it to change the all terrain tyres to road tyres, I can see that would fix the last of the tyre noise. But I want the AT tyres! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #374764 9th Jul 2019 9:20 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Cheers for all the info in this post chaps - will be slowly doing this as and when i can (probably over several years!).

Started this weekend with the engine cover. Had ripped out the foam as had been soaked with diesel after a leak. Very obvious reduction in engine noise immediately - cut back a lot of the high notes of the engine and whole car sounded smoother. Seems to be holding up to the heat just fine as well.

Looking forward to doing the rest of car Smile

Post #377701 1st Sep 2019 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>