Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > How much did you pay for a TD4 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Dam! Thats a shame mate... I would try the other Land Rover place... in Ossie Park...

So what was the margin on the SE range?

Dorko

Post #26802 6th Sep 2008 3:03 pm
ChrisJH

Australia 

Hi guys,

Brokers are a possibility, but in Perth, a city with a population of about 1.5Mil there are only two LandRover dealers, and both are owned by the same company.

I've driven most of the softroaders/compact 4wd competition, and the Freelander was the nicest in my opinion. The X-trail was also good, but not as quite or as smooth. The Tiguan was very nice, but the wait time of those is crazy, 8 months... The 200KW V6 Rav 4 is fun to drive, has heaps of power, although the boss(aka the wife) thinks they look like a girls car.

Dorko, the margin on an SE is about 5.2K. At the normal rrp drive away for a white SE TD4 is about $58,500. They are running them out, at $54,400. We offerred a couple of grand less, and they would only drop the drive to $54,000. At that price the "numbers man" reckon they'd make about $900. I reckon that's crap, but hey.

I might ring them up in Ossie park, and make the same offer and see what they say. Also considering an i6, but I don't think we'll go this way. We want a diesel.

Obviously we're disappointed, but happy that we stuck to our guns, and walked when they wouldn't move the price.

Anyways, Cheers guys,

Chris.

Post #26837 7th Sep 2008 1:40 am
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hey Chris

Sorry to hear that the dealers wouldnt come to the party. Good to see that you stuck to your price and didnt exceed it just to get the car. A bit disappointing to not get the car that you really want but by the sounds of it you have done a lot of research into all the other options and will still be very happy with the X trail and the fact that they are about $10K cheaper is a strong factor. Is that Xtrail top of the range or can you say spend $5K more (still less then the FL2) and get a better model?

Unless they show you the actual invoice price they have purchased the vehicle for from LR i wouldnt believe that they only have a $900 profit in it. If you really want the car if you lease it through their finance dept they normally give you a better sale price knowing they can recoup money back on the finance. If you closely examine the finance they offer and its not too much more overall then the bank then maybe that is an option? Or are you buying it outright?

Your right that both dealerships are owned by the same company which really limits you being able to play one dealer off on the other as im sure they ring each other and say we told this guy this bottom price so if he comes into your yard you know the deal.

Id suggest waiting a week and popping in again and say that you are ready to sign on the line for your price last chance. 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #26936 9th Sep 2008 7:21 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Hey Fishy,

The salesman has been calling me consistantly since yesterday, and they came back with a counter offer that was better, but $1K more than we wanted to pay. I've just spoken to them again, and put it another offer in the middle.

Quite happy to leave it now, as I am over the whole thing. They reckon at the offer they put in to me, they are losing $100. So why would you be calling someone consistantly to make a deal if you were losing money.... sounds like bullsh#t to me.

The top of the range diesel X-trail, TL manual is $45K, without any negoiation. Accessories aren't too badly priced (compared to LR), so in theory we could walk away with a fully loaded exy for about $45K - $47K, about $6K - $8K less than a white FR2.

But, the FR2 is nicer than the exy, so it's swings and roundabouts...

It's bad they are owned by the same company... how are you supposed to play on off against the other like you said.

I'd rather avoid any car yard finance. They usually give you a high interest rate, and there are hidden costs. We've got all our money ready to roll.

Anyways, we'll see what happens.

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #26937 9th Sep 2008 8:17 am
Dorko

Yeah having the same owners sucks balls. Whistle

Its like Harvey Norman, you can get them to beat any price! its great because then you take the new price back to the original retail store and you get a even more discount!

Good luck Chris, and tell them you are ready to go with the cash! Thumbs Up

Dorko

Post #26958 9th Sep 2008 1:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Chris

Hop on a plane to one of the other cities/dealer where the deals are better Thumbs Up

Just think what fun you'll have on the drive home Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #26960 9th Sep 2008 2:29 pm
Fishy

Mate stick with your price they will come to the party. Im sure they have had that stock sitting there for a while and will be pretty keen to move it.

and yes that sounds like bullsh*t to me as well as simple business tells you that you dont sell anything for a loss. Id suggest that the figure they are talking about is the lowest they like to sell a vehicle for before they start losing some of the "fat cream" in a sale.

what is some of the fruit that the top line Xtrail will come with that the FL2 SE doesnt? 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #27020 10th Sep 2008 12:29 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Hi Guys,

Tried the cash line, didn't have the impact I thought it would Sad

Actually checked out flying to Queensland, buying a demo and driving it home.... could be fun, but in the end that will be more expensive.... 5000Kms of fuel. And then there could be issues rego'ing it here in WA.

The top of the line X-trail TL has a large Sunroof and heated seats. It's got a larger boot, and you can get them in a manual. The engine has more power, but less torque. It's faster to 100kmh than the td4. It misses out on the auto lights and wipers, rear parking sensors and the powerfold mirrors. Also doesn't have the Ipod Aux jack. Ride on the X-trail is good, but not as nice as the FL2, styling is nicer on the FL2 in my opinion.

Dealer just called to say that they can't do our last offer. Need to sit down with the boss (aka wife) and decide what we'll do next....

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #27021 10th Sep 2008 2:59 am
Fishy

Tight a*sses!!! Mate youve got your budget and have already pushed above it a bit to make the deal. If they dont want to come to the party then leave it. i still reckon you will get a call friday arvo to come on down as they have managed to work the figures to do a deal.

If not it wasnt meant to be and the Xtrail is a pretty good 2nd choice by the sound of it. 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #27025 10th Sep 2008 9:50 am
Dorko

Mate over $500 its not worth losing the deal.. wait to Friday as Fishy said if nothing then give in...

But remember if you go the Xtrail then you will always wish you got the freelander...

Keep us posted Chris!

Dorko

Post #27028 10th Sep 2008 11:24 am
Oceanic

Australia 

Hey Chris,

I too am looking at the X-trail as an alternative... is a bummer about no ipod jack, but then it still has 6stack CD with Mp3 capability. I am also struggling to justify the difference between an SE Td4 and a X-Trail TL. I too prefer manual (have one now), but prefer lighter interior. Although I don't mind the X-Trail's white stitching in the black Leather Smile I think the ride and handling between the two is very similar - they even have similar suspension set-ups. And the X-Trail is quicker... still amazed how they get 127kw!? that is almost what my old V6 FL produced! Shocked The X-Trail is also 1cm lower than the LR2, is narrower, but longer and has more luggage capacity. You can even get genuine Nissan Park Sensors fitted Smile

The hardest part would be getting used to indicating on the right Razz and no rain/light sensors. But apart from that I would not miss much. The X-Trail even has the 'clamshell' bonnet look from the driver's seat, which is very similar to the FL.

So, eventhough I would look at the X-Trail in the drive and say it is not a LR2, I doubt I would not be happy owning it knowing I had saved $20K from a new LR2 SE with a roof and some gear. ______________________________

own: '06 BMW 130i Msport (manual)
owned: '04 FL Td4 3dr
owned: '02 FL V6 3dr
owned: '98 FL Xedi

The road less travelled you will find me on.

Post #27094 10th Sep 2008 11:04 pm
Dorko

If you want a car that's quick, buy a rangie, diesel cars aren't fast in any 4wd. But I totally see where u are coming from, regarding the extra $$$. I guess it always comes down to what you can afford.

On the brilliant side, I did a google search on freelander vs xtrail. Interesting reads both have strengths and weaknesses. But the freelander always come on top

Dorko Thumbs Up

Post #27099 11th Sep 2008 6:02 am
Fishy

any last minute phone calls Chris???

Dorko what were some of the weakness listed for the FL2? 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #27232 13th Sep 2008 2:07 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Na none Fishy...

Well, I have to tell you that we decided that to place an order for an X-trail, which we did this morning. All done and dusted, and while we would have preferred an FL2, we are happy with our purchase.

Sorry Dorko, I can't get you those mirrors:(

After much consideration and deliberation, that nearly ended my 6month marriage, we thought we should see what we could get an X-trail for. So we picked out all the accessories we wanted, made an offer $9K less than the best offer we got just for a white TD4 SE, and after a little umming and ahhing, they accepted our offer. This included paint, parking sensors, nudge bar, towbar, roof racks, cargo tray and mats, so we were pretty happy with the deal.

It was a line ball, but in our opinion the FL2 wasn't worth 9K more, maybe 6 or 7K. It's a nicer car, more stylish and drives maybe slightly nicer, but we decided to save the money and use the extra cash on a big TV(i wish)..

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the great advice, and wish them well in their Freelanders. It's still my fav for sure. Very Happy The FL2 is the best softroader at it's price point, there is no doubt in my mind about that. We just decided that price point was too much for us:(

All the best,

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #27236 13th Sep 2008 8:23 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Shame but you will get plenty more chances to buy a 'proper' car in the future Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #27237 13th Sep 2008 8:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>