Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > How much did you pay for a TD4 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

i was looking on the US web site and they are only charging $3500 for the tech pack which comes with a bit more Censored

im in the process of looking to get a sat nav with blue tooth custom installed into the space in the dash. 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #23996 10th Jul 2008 8:02 am
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

We so get boned!

i'm startign to wish i bought a FPV. Atleast i wouldnt have to wait so long.

Dorko

Post #24015 10th Jul 2008 11:22 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Hi guys,

My wife and I are looking at getting a diesel softroader, and have narrowed it down to the X-trail TL, and the SE TD4. I really didn't want to spend the extra money on the Freelander 2, but I must say they look awesome..

Looked at the tiguan, but as people have noted here they are too small and the waiting period is too long.

There is a 12K difference in the two cars, but we like the styling of the Freelander a lot more. Haven't driven a Freelander yet, but have driven the X-trail, which we both liked. The styling of the X-trail we don't like so much...

We initially struck off the Freelander 2 when the salesman told us to expect 60K on road. We've come back to looking at it now, as we can't find a diesel offroader we are both happy with.

Our budget is 50K, do you think there is any chance of getting a Freelander, even if it's a demo at that price? Don't care if it's white, if that's cheaper... Are they selling well in Aus does anyone know?

I live in WA, and there are none for sale second hand, although I have seen some in Queensland, 2007 models selling for 42K - 45K private sales.

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #26479 31st Aug 2008 12:05 pm
Oceanic

Australia 

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you will get a new or ex-demo Td4 for $50K, but maybe an i6. I have seen in Brisbane a few demos up for sale that the dealer is willing to execute to move. But then there is also the issue of selling a QLD rego car to WA (stamp duties, etc). ______________________________

own: '06 BMW 130i Msport (manual)
owned: '04 FL Td4 3dr
owned: '02 FL V6 3dr
owned: '98 FL Xedi

The road less travelled you will find me on.

Post #26482 31st Aug 2008 1:48 pm
ChrisJH

Australia 

Thanks for that Oceanic, we'll take one for a spin, and see what we think.

We may consider an i6, so we'll probably take both engines for a drive. In some ways, the difference in running costs will be small, with the 2.5K diff in price and higher diesel prices and servicing offsetting the higher fuel consumtion of the i6.

Pretty keen not to go over our budget... again. It's always amazes my when buying cars how budgets "grow"... when we started looking, our budget was 40K, then 45K, and now 50K....

It's a shame my income doesn't increase the same way...

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #26485 31st Aug 2008 2:53 pm
Oceanic

Australia 

yeah... know what you mean! I started looking at a Td4 demo for mid 50's then decided I want a roof (which is rare as hen's teeth!) so would have to order new... then plus a few acc. and the price was up to approx $68/k O.R. for SE and $73K for HSE!!! ouch Shocked So now have to come to grips with paying for exactly what I want or settling for a demo '08 floating around somewhere. Decisions decisions... ______________________________

Post #26520 31st Aug 2008 11:36 pm
Dorko

take it for a test drive! Its worth the extra coin!
I feel the quality is much better than the xtrail.

Mine cost $62k for a diesel hse. But that doesn't include GST, as I'm on a lease.

Good luck mate Thumbs Up

Post #26540 1st Sep 2008 8:55 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Will do guys, will take one for a spin Wednesday night. If we like it, may consider make an offer we'll see.

No doubt it's a class above the X-trail in the styling, can't comment on the quality, but I'll take your word for it Dorko! The new Diesel TL X-trail is nice, and we'd be happy with it, but as the guy from Fifth gears says "what would you prefer parked in your drive way, a Nissan X-trail, or a LaaandRover Freeeeelander?" I know which one i'd prefer!

I wish the FR2 came in a manual like the UK...

We love (especially myself) the FR2, but I do have some slight concerns.... resale and parts. I'm not too worried about relability, as from everything I can find out LR have improved considerably over the last few years. But resale, and spare parts do concern me... especially, if we decide to trade it after 4 years, according to Redbook, the previous Freelander had terrible resale. If we decide to keep it for say 10 years, parts will come an issue, and Landies aren't cheap to fix...

That said, I can't find a FR2 in WA for sale private or used at a dealer so they must be popular, therefore must kinda hold their value.

Cheers guys, will let you know how we go:)

Chris.

Post #26563 1st Sep 2008 2:18 pm
Dorko

Have fun with it Chris. Thumbs Up

Just make sure you have a real spin with it. I know the sales men there and they are kinda willy woofters!

Maybe because i am young, but they still talk endless sh*t. Whistle Lucky the car speaks for itself.
Bow down
Dorko

Post #26564 1st Sep 2008 2:41 pm
ChrisJH

Australia 

Sure will! Might try and borrow one for a few hours, take it for a proper spin around perth... might do that on a Saturday.

What dealer did you go to get the best price Dorko? Cannington or Ossie Park?

Mate those sales guys talk the most crap.... We've looked at every softroader under 50K(that's not korean), and I reckon the more expensive the car, the more bullcrap you've got to put up with from the sales guy.

Went to Cannington (Southern Landrover) after work a few months ago, when we were starting to get an idea about what sort of new car we wanted. Didn't know anything about them, and thought the Freelander2 was about the same price as the old one (boy was I wrong). Walked in wearing my work suit, looking a lot richer than I am, and had about 3 sales guys almost running to greet us. The guy who won the race talked crap to us for about 45mins. When he told me the price on road, I said "woh, could get 2 Grand Vitaras for that price"... suffice to say he lost interest after that:)

Probably will go to Ossie park now...

Grand Vitaras aren't that grand by the way.

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #26566 1st Sep 2008 3:35 pm
Oceanic

Australia 

As far as I can gather, Td4's are holding their value better than the i6, which is to be expected, as this is exactly what happened to the old FL too. I have also seen FL2s sell well here in Brisbane... colour combos that I thought would not move at all have been sold! And I would love a manual Td4 option here in Oz - but I know they would never do it because LR know most Landrovers in Oz never make it off the blacktop and Aussies are lazy Razz

I have driven the Auto X-trail and was not impressed with the performance - but this is the de-tuned diesel engine, so I am awaiting a manual to drive just to get the difference. Although I am not fond of the X-trail styling, the TL comes well equipped and would work out $30K less than a LR2 HSE! But the x-trail also only comes with black leather which I hate in QLD... gets way too hot in Summer! ______________________________

Post #26595 2nd Sep 2008 12:56 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Yeah from what I can find, the TD4's that are a year old are still high 40's, except for one I found on carsales in Vic for 42K. Like I said earlier there are none in WA. We are currently working out if it's feasable buying one in the east coast during the Chrissie Holidays and driving it back. Could be fun, and add 3000kms to the car:)

TD4 seems the go if we are going to hold onto it for years.

I've only driven the manual X-trail, and it is a very nice drive. There is a considerable amount of power available. We'd get the manual in the X-trail, as like you said it has the more powerful engine, and I prefer manuals. The interrior isn't as nice as the FR2, and the outside styling irks me a bit.

But, at 45K on road without negioation, it's good value. I'd consider paying 5 maybe 7K more for the Freelander, but anymore than that and the X-trail is too good a value.

Anyways, probably getting too far ahead of ourselves, as we haven't driven one yet... roll on Wednesday arvo!

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #26596 2nd Sep 2008 6:05 am
Dorko

Yeah i bought mine at Ossie Park. The first sales man was Michael, the other one was James. i prefered Michael, older guy, but more relaxed than James. James was pushy typical sales man. But in his credit new what he was talking about.

But if you want a good spin go out with Michael, he lets you drive it hard without a fuss. James was a bit of a cry baby. Big Cry

Good luck with what ever you buy. I think the Xtrail is nice in its own class, however does not measure up to the Freelander overall. The only real match to the freelander in my opinion was the BMW X3 and the Volvo C... something.

Good luck Chris Thumbs Up

Dorko

Post #26614 2nd Sep 2008 2:54 pm
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

once you have driven the FL2 you will want to buy it as the drive and comfort is the best i came across in my search for a new car. Much like you i was looking for medium sized AWD/4WD softroader (although i wouldnt call FL2s offroad abilities soft) and the drive and comfort of the FL2 was a class above anything else.

I drive the TD4 and i6 and actually liked the drive of the i6 much better. If you like a bit of zip and acceleration (nice and smooth) like i do the i6 is better then the TD4. I ended up getting the i6 in the end for a few other reasons as well but had a few concerns with fuel economy initially but these are getting better now.

i can guarantee you 2 things though. one you will love the drive of the FL2 and it will blow the X trail away and two you will always end up spending $10K more then you initially budgeted for!! Razz

id say your best bet is to get a demo if you want to stay close to your budget. go to both dealerships and see what they have in their yard and play ball with the one with the most demos as they will be keen to sell them. Id assume that FL2 is not a massive volume selling car in WA so any reasonable sale for them will be considered. I haggled for 3 weeks for mine and eventually got a good price. Wink 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #26641 3rd Sep 2008 5:19 am
ChrisJH

Australia 

Thanks guys,

It's really helpful to get some advice from guys in Perth, so thanks heaps.

According to the Interweb, Southern Landie have more stock, I think so we'll go there tonight for a spin... hopefully get someone different to last time:) They also seem to have a few demos.

I agree that the Freelander is in a different class, although Australias Best Cars mag seems to class them the same. Problem is with the Freelander is that while it may be a lux Softroader it sits between the cheaper X-trails, Ravs, CRV, and the more expensive X3s, Volvos in terms of price, kinda in a no-mans land.

I'd love a TD4, but we're pretty keen not go over our budget, so we may settle for an i6. On road a white Se I6 should be about 55K - 56K. If I can't get that for 50K, then the Freelander isn't the car for us:(

Fishy, you mentioned fuel economy... what is it now around the city for the i6?

Cheers,

Chris.

Post #26642 3rd Sep 2008 6:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>