Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Seriously considering a Freelander 2... but!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Click image to enlarge

Completely agree with StuartC.
Had my first FL2 (an SE TD4 Auto) from early 2008 until end 2016 (c65k miles) and it only had to go in to a workshop once (other than routine services & MOT’s) in all that time. That was for a replacement injector.
Traded it for a Nov 2014 top-of-the-range FL2 Metropolis with ALL the boy’s toys and goodies. When new it was a shade north of £40k apparently. At 2.2 years, 16k miles and still immaculate, I paid £25k. Still has mfrs’s warranty ’til end Nov. 6 months in and it has been faultless - love it to bits.
The SD4 lump, the Xenons, the added soundproofing and the Meridian HiFi all make a huge difference to the joy of ownership (although my wife has concerns about my potential hearing damage!). You are very unlikely to find these on a ‘base’ model, so you’d have to put up with such hardships as heated, leather, memory seats, heated steering wheel, rear-view camera etc., etc.if you want the really important bits.
People who (or whose Company) buy these top-of-the-range vehicles seem unworried by depreciation - and are likely to a) have them properly looked-after and b) change them in 2-3 years, often with low-ish mileage. It has always seemed to me that for a private buyer these vehicles represent a real value opportunity.
Of course, if we were all sane, rational people, we’d ignore all the bells and whistles and be running secondhand Dusters, little Hyundais or similar.
You pay’s yer money, as they say! I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #325451 19th Jun 2017 8:34 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I left the FL2 fold 3 years ago and the FL2 was a good car if a little outdated inside and out. I had 2 FL2's, the first one was great the second one was a lemon - too unreliable and in the end made me leave the brand. Xenons in my day were not standard fit on any trim level and had to be added as an option - they definately make a difference as the standard halogens are dire, Metropolis (top of the range) models may have xenons as standard (someone who owns one should hopefully confirm). My FL2's were HSE and had the Alpine sound system in which was the top spec but I found it very poor - I believe the newer FL2's have a meriden system which is better.

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that owning a FL2 is going to be very costly compared to your Duster - purchase costs are still relatively high, repairs, fuel consumption, tax etc. I left because I didn't need the 'go anywhere' ability and managed to secure a deal on a BMW X3 of a far higher spec for cheaper money than the FL2. I now get 5 years of dealer servicing for £425 (LR would have been around £1,400), fuel costs are lower as I get around 45mpg, my FL2's managed 35mpg at best. My X3 suits my needs and I know other people on here detest them but its your money and you make your choice. Good luck with what you decide... Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #325453 19th Jun 2017 9:10 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

to quote Stuart

If you must make this comparison then this statement is incorrect, Freelander 2 has far more common systems with Volvo then Ford. Mechanically and Electrically.....

We can beg to differ as I was thinking about the whole package, mind you there a few Chinese made parts in there as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/264506.stm FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #325455 19th Jun 2017 9:26 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Don't discount the auto box. It is great on hills , I live on cycling's notorious " Shibden Wall" , starting on the hairpin with 500kg of postcrete in the back and going up the cobbles no problem. I would not go back to a manual. These vehicles are much better as autos even off road. LR Experience centres always used auto Freelies, they will do more than any sane person would ever want to, and remember you have hill descent control for something really nasty . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #325458 19th Jun 2017 10:25 am
Adam83

Scotland 

Lightwater wrote:

'How long is a piece of sting' Twice as long as half a piece of string!

Can't argue with that... Thanks for the comments, makes me wonder if I should definitely aim for xenons as I have no choice but to drive in the dark up here, surrounded by deer. Surely the halogens can't be that bad?! I mean, even thought they are not as brilliant bright as xenons you must at least be able to see in the dark, even just a wee bit?!

Post #325459 19th Jun 2017 10:31 am
Adam83

Scotland 

Stuartc wrote:
Yorky Bob wrote:
Vanny wrote:
The FreeL2 is statistically the most reliable LR ever made. .

That's due to the fact its a Ford. Rolling with laughter

If you must make this comparison then this statement is incorrect, Freelander 2 has far more common systems with Volvo then Ford. Mechanically and Electrically.....

My 2 cents worth I've not had any problems to date with my Freelander 2 and I have all the toys and more. Apart from oil and filter have been only required parts changed.
Haldex 4 was used up to final model and is all the better for it as the Haldex 5's primary design was to reduce costs both material and running and hence the Haldex 4 is a better unit for 4WD performance. If you don't believe me then do some research into it.

I've no reason at all not to believe you, I was just being a blundering idiot and assuming that something newer is better - not always the case! Thanks for the input Very Happy

Post #325461 19th Jun 2017 10:35 am
Adam83

Scotland 

theglassman wrote:
Click image to enlarge

Completely agree with StuartC.
Had my first FL2 (an SE TD4 Auto) from early 2008 until end 2016 (c65k miles) and it only had to go in to a workshop once (other than routine services & MOT’s) in all that time. That was for a replacement injector.
Traded it for a Nov 2014 top-of-the-range FL2 Metropolis with ALL the boy’s toys and goodies. When new it was a shade north of £40k apparently. At 2.2 years, 16k miles and still immaculate, I paid £25k. Still has mfrs’s warranty ’til end Nov. 6 months in and it has been faultless - love it to bits.
The SD4 lump, the Xenons, the added soundproofing and the Meridian HiFi all make a huge difference to the joy of ownership (although my wife has concerns about my potential hearing damage!). You are very unlikely to find these on a ‘base’ model, so you’d have to put up with such hardships as heated, leather, memory seats, heated steering wheel, rear-view camera etc., etc.if you want the really important bits.
People who (or whose Company) buy these top-of-the-range vehicles seem unworried by depreciation - and are likely to a) have them properly looked-after and b) change them in 2-3 years, often with low-ish mileage. It has always seemed to me that for a private buyer these vehicles represent a real value opportunity.
Of course, if we were all sane, rational people, we’d ignore all the bells and whistles and be running secondhand Dusters, little Hyundais or similar.
You pay’s yer money, as they say!

Interesting points thanks... Is there any way to find out if a pre-owned freelander has been used as a company vehicle (other than obviously asking the vendor)? Or could it be reasonably assumed that many of the newer low mileage vehicles may well be from these backgrounds as you describe?

Post #325462 19th Jun 2017 10:39 am
Adam83

Scotland 

shilen wrote:
I left the FL2 fold 3 years ago and the FL2 was a good car if a little outdated inside and out. I had 2 FL2's, the first one was great the second one was a lemon - too unreliable and in the end made me leave the brand. Xenons in my day were not standard fit on any trim level and had to be added as an option - they definately make a difference as the standard halogens are dire, Metropolis (top of the range) models may have xenons as standard (someone who owns one should hopefully confirm). My FL2's were HSE and had the Alpine sound system in which was the top spec but I found it very poor - I believe the newer FL2's have a meriden system which is better.

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that owning a FL2 is going to be very costly compared to your Duster - purchase costs are still relatively high, repairs, fuel consumption, tax etc. I left because I didn't need the 'go anywhere' ability and managed to secure a deal on a BMW X3 of a far higher spec for cheaper money than the FL2. I now get 5 years of dealer servicing for £425 (LR would have been around £1,400), fuel costs are lower as I get around 45mpg, my FL2's managed 35mpg at best. My X3 suits my needs and I know other people on here detest them but its your money and you make your choice. Good luck with what you decide...

Thanks for the comments. There is certainly no doubt a freelander would not be as cheap as my Duster to run. Although tax costs for newer Dusters will push up to not a million miles from a '14 freelander, and I only get 40mpg from my Duster if I'm very lucky, so it's not night and day MPG difference when compared to a freelander. But definitely cheaper to service and maintain!

Post #325464 19th Jun 2017 10:46 am
Adam83

Scotland 

MartynB wrote:
Don't discount the auto box. It is great on hills , I live on cycling's notorious " Shibden Wall" , starting on the hairpin with 500kg of postcrete in the back and going up the cobbles no problem. I would not go back to a manual. These vehicles are much better as autos even off road. LR Experience centres always used auto Freelies, they will do more than any sane person would ever want to, and remember you have hill descent control for something really nasty .

Thanks, and I have been wondering about this... The thing is that I don't need to tow, or ever do any serious off roading up here - just maybe some rough-ish tracks every now and again, and snow in the winter. I'm used to driving on these sort of surfaces with other manual 4x4's - I'm no expert by any means, just pointing out that for what I need, a manual would probably be fine, and yes, it's what I'm used to and nobody likes change etc...

But never say never. There is an auto that I may be able to test drive, so I should really give it a go to see what I think of it.

Post #325465 19th Jun 2017 10:52 am
LOLER

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

I would definitely try an auto as it is far more relaxing to drive than a pudding stirrer. My last 7 cars have all been autos and I would never go back to a manual. I have had my 2014 freelander HSE since it was 3 months old and have covered 57000 miles
and the only issue was the usual high level brake light leaking.

I will not be swapping this car any time soon as it still drives like new and does everything I want from it and has more than enough gadgets to play with including the excellent Meridean sound system.

Chris MY 2014 SD4 HSE

FIRENZE RED AUTOMATIC

Last edited by LOLER on 19th Jun 2017 11:21 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #325466 19th Jun 2017 11:20 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

if you test drive an auto just remember it is an 'intelligent' box that will adapt to your driving style, however it needs to learn over a few hundred miles.
So the box may not feel perfect when you test drive, but as long as it changes it up and down with no weird sounds or anything it will get much much better.
Even with no off roading, the dual mass flywheels of the manuals are too flimsy to be trustworthy, ive had 2 manuals (both DMF/Clutch failures on motorway driving) and 2 autos (both superb but especially when mated to the SD4 engine)

Post #325467 19th Jun 2017 11:21 am
Adam83

Scotland 

Thanks again all. Interesting info about the auto, I'll try it out, you never know I may be sold!

Can anybody shed any light on the black and white edition as to why they are cheaper? I see there are no fogs and no leather, but seems similar to GS otherwise...

edit - it seems the same as the S-model but with privacy glass and push button start as standard, but still not sure why it's cheaper...

Post #325469 19th Jun 2017 11:47 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

the black and white editions were based on the S model, and oddly enough only available in black or white Very Happy

hence why no front fogs, terrain response dial, folding mirrors, dual zone climate, steering wheel controls etc. (all models had push button start from introduction in 2006)

they were given factory privacy glass and very little else, so are very basic but very capable still

Post #325470 19th Jun 2017 12:09 pm
Adam83

Scotland 

This appears to have a bit more, although the terrain response buttons might just be for show? It is also listed as having hill descent control, although it would obviously be wise to have all specs confirmed...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...amp;page=2

Post #325474 19th Jun 2017 12:48 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Adam83 wrote:
Surely the halogens can't be that bad?!

They are!

My Peugeot 504 from the 1970s had four round 7 inch halogen headlights. The outer pair were high/low 60/55 watts & the inner pair were high only 120 watts. So 360 watts of high beam. It lit the road up like a stadium. You could even balance the light stork between low & high to have everything on. 470 watts! But the alternator had a bit of trouble keeping up with the load.

Get fog lights, they are great for off road dirt goat tracks. Being low they create a shadow on the hole edges in the track so you can slow down & or steer a different path.

I actually prefer halogen due to the better CRI index. Have bought a pair of Philips X-tremeVision 3350K http://www.blingworkauto.com.au/product/9005xvsm/ still have not got around to sticking them in the car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325476 19th Jun 2017 12:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>