Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Seriously considering a Freelander 2... but!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Adam83

Scotland 
Seriously considering a Freelander 2... but!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, the forum seems really good.

I've been reading through several threads on here over the past wee while with great interest as I am considering buying a Freelander 2. I'm currently driving a Dacia Duster, but I have always been taken by Land Rovers, although my cynicism has grown having recently done a fair amount of research into LR: High running costs particularly if using LR dealerships, combined with questionable reliability. Or perhaps a better way to put it would be, pot luck reliability. (I know this is true of all cars, but this does appear to be to quite a big extent with LR!). Although I realise out of all the hundreds of thousands of freelanders out there, this is where you'll hear the horror stories, so I'm doing my best to keep things in perspective, but still..... hmm....

I have lots of questions, so please bear with me - I have done some searches meaning I have had several questions answered for me already, and also learned a few things! So hopefully my wonderings here won't be too much of a broken record, but I'm sure you've all heard it before, so apologies but here goes.

Firstly, what I would want from a Freelander is:

- As young as possible with low mileage, ideally 64 plate up to around 30K miles. Obviously I am thinking newer/less miles now bodes better for the longer term. Although you wonder why a car is sold on at such low mileage - it could be a dodgy Friday afternoon vehicle, or it could be that people look to trade in once original warranty is up regardless of mileage, or maybe some people are keen to move on to the disco sport...

- Needs to have fog lights: Scottish Highlands get very foggy, plus having extra light low to the ground is useful on windy single track roads especially when keeping a close eye out for deer in the verges before they jump in front of the car...

- Xenon lights seem to be awesome from what I read, and may be helpful for the above ^

- Although I do like the idea of touch screen and luxury perks I have no real need for fancy gadgets and Sat Nav - There are only 3 or 4 roads where I live, and I can park a pick-up truck all by myself...

- But I do like a good sound system...

- I would install all terrain tyres, therefore I would need all the help I can possibly get for keeping MPG lower, leading me to opt for manual transmission. The hills and bends are incredible up here, so I would prefer to be able to choose my gear (even though I know you can flip auto's into the gear command mode thing, but maybe I'm just set in my ways). I see the general consensus is that auto is better for off-roading and towing but I have no need for towing and wouldn't use it for serious off roading. It would be handy to be able to take it on some reasonably rutted tracks, plus it will help with ice and snow in the winter, but that's it. You can't actually go properly off road up here unless you have an Argo-cat.

- I have no desire for leather seats

- I would avoid cars that have a tow bar - just incase they might have a weakened clutch, rear diff etc. or perhaps been driven into the sea...

- I would only buy manufacturer approved in order to obtain 2 year warranty, 1st M.O.T repairs up to £750 etc.

- I would hope to run the car long term, say 7 years from now, I do approx 15K miles per year, so my thinking would be to get rid before 150K, hopefully before anything major goes wrong (depending on the seemingly lucky dip haldex/rear diff issues).

So with all this in mind, it seems that I probably can't get one thing without having the other, eg. no need for leather seats/satnav/touchscreen will mean I probably can't have the better sound system, fog lights/xenon lights.

Questions!

How reliable are the fancy gadgets? In reality, does the difference in gadgets between S, GS, XS etc. actually carry weight to the theory of "less to go wrong if you keep it simple"? Taking it to the extreme, I just can't help thinking that an HSE lux that cost a pretty penny when new would be more likely to cost a pretty penny to keep everything working properly over the years.

Does anybody know what the most recent plate is for Freelanders? There is a 65plate on autotrader, but assuming production stopped in late 2014, this thing has likely been sitting outside on a field/court for a year before it was registered?

What is the lowest spec model from 2012 onwards that comes with xenon lights as standard?

I haven't seen one yet, but do S models exist with factory upgrades to include fog lights/xenon lights, if the original buyer chose this as factory upgrade? Could there be one out there somewhere?!

Is it possible to retro-fit fog lights and xenon lights to an S model - or any model for that matter? ie. are Xenons just the bulbs that can be fitted as long as the car has auto-levelling lights, or is there more to it than that?

Black and White edition: This seems to be much the same spec as a GS, but they seem to be comparatively cheap, can anyone explain why? They seem to lack fogs and leather seats, but it seems this is the only noticeable difference from what I can tell?

SE: This also seems to be very similar to the GS, but with bigger alloys. I'm confused!

I take it that Land Rover will not honour/entertain any warranty issues whatsoever if I had my car routinely serviced/maintained at a local Indy? I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like main dealership servicing costs for cars in general, but the other factor for me is that I am 100 miles from the nearest LR garage.

At what point might it become more sensible to move from main dealer to Indy using aftermarket parts? Assuming aftermarket is possible? I would have thought that once a car is pushing for 10 years old there is little point in throwing lots of cash at it, but perhaps that's just me...

This whole thing about special tools, only LR technicians should be allowed to even look at a vehicle - Eh? Surely a good mechanic (and I am friendly with several who I wholeheartedly trust) can do a perfectly good job of looking after a Freelander's mechanical comings and goings?

Although - I do wonder if (as they seem to be such complex machines) local mechs might be a bit stuck with some of the technology side of it/not have the right software gizmos etc. to be able to diagnose/repair certain things that are beyond my comprehension...) Any thoughts?

I've read bits about clutch/DMF failure - how common is this and is their a particular age/mileage when this might rear it's ugly head? Or is it similar to the pot luck diff/haldex problems?

Does anybody know if it is 4th gen haldex in all Freelanders up to end of production or did some trims move on to 5th gen? Or is there any evidence to suggest that the latest freelanders are less prone to rear diff/haldex problems?

What is the basic LR sound system like? I suppose I would have to get in a GS or an S to find out, but has anybody experienced both that could perhaps let me know if there is night/day difference between the two? Apart from the fact that one has a lot more power than the other? I'm an ex-sound tech, and have heard everything from cheap ***** to posh ***** - and you can get odd gems that aren't top of the range. I actually really rate the factory fit sound system in my duster - good bottom end (although no real truly replicated sub), warm mid range, and crisp top end.

I think that's about all for now.

Thanks in advance for anybody who is kind/curious enough to have made it this far, and can shed any light for me. I know much of this is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but I'm keen for others thoughts anyway!

The bottom line for me is that no matter which way I look at it, my duster, and the next one (if I go that way) will be cheaper to run, insure, and maintain than a Freelander, and I like the rugged look of them, it's got the same ground clearance as a freelander, and it drives well with a set of BFG all terrains on, and looks pretty cool too.

But it's not a freelander.

Cheers

Adam

Post #325400 18th Jun 2017 3:11 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Stick with the Duster as you obviously think too much. Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #325403 18th Jun 2017 3:25 pm
Adam83

Scotland 

Hahaha! Very true....

Post #325411 18th Jun 2017 4:08 pm
PeakWayfarer

United Kingdom 

deleted by user

Last edited by PeakWayfarer on 14th Oct 2017 8:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #325415 18th Jun 2017 4:36 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Having recently been taking some additional driving tuition in a Dacia Duster, its is not comparable to the FreeL2 in any way. The driving school have them because of there low initial purchase cost and they can get the clutch changed for under £200 same day service!

The FreeL2 is statistically the most reliable LR ever made. As you say, there are Friday afternoon cars knocking about, but anything over a couple of years old will probably of had the niggles found.

We've recently bought a 13MY XS SD4, from a main dealer. Excellent condition through out. Paid about £2k more than a non dealer car. We where happy with this as we need super reliability from it (and warranty), and the car provides. In 9 months its done over 15k, had its first new set of tyres, two wiper blades and two bulbs. Its also had its first service, at a different dealer. Quick and easy, if a little expensive.

I spend a lot of my working life in a full sized Range Rover (L405) and while the FL2 doesn't bring a smile like a V8 SC when hitting the loud pedal, I still look forward to jumping in it at the end of the day for the 50+ mile drive home. I really didn't expect to fall in love with the FL2, but its awesome.

We're now looking for an early FL2 as a second car instead of the Disco3 when had been planning.

Post #325416 18th Jun 2017 4:52 pm
martslander

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum.
Can't help with all your questions but I will say you definitely wont be disappointed with an FL2, generally a reliable and efficient workhorse.

Unfortunately when googling you will hear mainly the bad stuff never the good.

I have the midline 'Alpine' system in mine and if I'm honest it sounds a bit pap to me!
(Can't comment on the hi line)
The stereo in my Vivaro van is far better!

Happy hunting Martyn

2010 Sport LE Auto

Post #325418 18th Jun 2017 5:19 pm
Adam83

Scotland 

PeakWayfarer wrote:
If you want simple why not look at a defender- easy to work on rugged and reliable if looked after.
A bit like all of the Land Rover products really - the most important thing when you own one is preventative maintenance, I have had a couple of old range rovers - totally reliable, a freelander manual over 40k miles and only issue was a small leak from the high level brake light, now got a discovery 4, the main reason I changed was wanted a bigger boot and an auto.

Disco is great but a little thirsty

I've certainly thought about a defender! But, I think they might be a bit too thirsty on the fuel for me...

Post #325419 18th Jun 2017 5:22 pm
Adam83

Scotland 

Vanny wrote:
Having recently been taking some additional driving tuition in a Dacia Duster, its is not comparable to the FreeL2 in any way. The driving school have them because of there low initial purchase cost and they can get the clutch changed for under £200 same day service!

The FreeL2 is statistically the most reliable LR ever made. As you say, there are Friday afternoon cars knocking about, but anything over a couple of years old will probably of had the niggles found.

We've recently bought a 13MY XS SD4, from a main dealer. Excellent condition through out. Paid about £2k more than a non dealer car. We where happy with this as we need super reliability from it (and warranty), and the car provides. In 9 months its done over 15k, had its first new set of tyres, two wiper blades and two bulbs. Its also had its first service, at a different dealer. Quick and easy, if a little expensive.

I spend a lot of my working life in a full sized Range Rover (L405) and while the FL2 doesn't bring a smile like a V8 SC when hitting the loud pedal, I still look forward to jumping in it at the end of the day for the 50+ mile drive home. I really didn't expect to fall in love with the FL2, but its awesome.

We're now looking for an early FL2 as a second car instead of the Disco3 when had been planning.

Aye, I do like my Duster, but as you say, the freelander is in a different league. My head tells me to keep cheap and simple with dusters, but... !!!

Post #325420 18th Jun 2017 5:25 pm
Adam83

Scotland 

martslander wrote:
Hi Adam, welcome to the forum.
Can't help with all your questions but I will say you definitely wont be disappointed with an FL2, generally a reliable and efficient workhorse.

Unfortunately when googling you will hear mainly the bad stuff never the good.

I have the midline 'Alpine' system in mine and if I'm honest it sounds a bit pap to me!
(Can't comment on the hi line)
The stereo in my Vivaro van is far better!

Happy hunting

Cheers, and thanks to all for the help so far.

Post #325421 18th Jun 2017 5:27 pm
south wales stu

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine has been exceptionally reliable. Looked after by me and only me (as are all of my vehicles). I wouldn't take it to a dealer even if it was under warranty. Very easy to work on. I think anyway.

Post #325422 18th Jun 2017 6:32 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Vanny wrote:
The FreeL2 is statistically the most reliable LR ever made. .

That's due to the fact its a Ford. Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #325425 18th Jun 2017 7:49 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Ford...

Fixed Or Repaired Daily

Fuc*ed On Rainy Days MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #325437 18th Jun 2017 9:46 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Yorky Bob wrote:
Stick with the Duster as you obviously think too much. Laughing

Agree. My mechanic said don't get a LR. He also said don't get a Seat (I did 230,000 km). Or a Lancia. I already had the Peugeot (also did 230,000km) when I started using him!

Yorky Bob wrote:
That's due to the fact its a Ford. Rolling with laughter

Love the 177kW Ford Ecoboost engine!

They all have leather seats here.
The base models have crap hifi, & you cannot upgrade!
Fancy gadgets fail on all cars, they all come out of the same parts bin.
My SE has halogen. In the outback I avoid driving at night, too many kangaroos & other wildlife.
I have used my own mechanic from day 1.
Get an auto, they lock up like a manual. Auto especially if you are towing. Also up to 250kg tow ball nose weight, try that on any other small car.
My mechanic can't get rid of 'service required', I stopped noticing it after a couple of weeks.
Down under can easily be 2000 km from LR service. I'm not worried.
A lot of the so called 4wd cars, are actually front wheel drive & the 4wd does not work in reverse.
I would not get an auto CVT or dual clutch.

'How long is a piece of sting' Twice as long as half a piece of string! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 19th Jun 2017 7:53 am. Edited 9 times in total

Post #325442 19th Jun 2017 2:47 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Yorky Bob wrote:
Vanny wrote:
The FreeL2 is statistically the most reliable LR ever made. .

That's due to the fact its a Ford. Rolling with laughter

If you must make this comparison then this statement is incorrect, Freelander 2 has far more common systems with Volvo then Ford. Mechanically and Electrically.....

My 2 cents worth I've not had any problems to date with my Freelander 2 and I have all the toys and more. Apart from oil and filter have been only required parts changed.
Haldex 4 was used up to final model and is all the better for it as the Haldex 5's primary design was to reduce costs both material and running and hence the Haldex 4 is a better unit for 4WD performance. If you don't believe me then do some research into it. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Last edited by Stuartc on 19th Jun 2017 3:39 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #325443 19th Jun 2017 3:14 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Complete with name!

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325444 19th Jun 2017 3:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>