« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Reduced engine performance ALL HERE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red
Reduced engine performance ALL HERE

On the motorway tonight a couple of miles from home I had a warning triangle flash up on the display saying performance restricted . I stopped at traffic lights a couple of times , switched the engine off and on but the warning is still there. I will check it again tomorrow . Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #257031 15th Mar 2015 9:48 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have had this on two different FL2s, there were no error codes generated but replacing the fuel filter seemed to have done trick so it could just be down to poor fuel flow. The Fuel filter should be replaced every other service but now I get it done every time. When was yours last done? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #257041 15th Mar 2015 10:53 pm
Purplemadboy

The car is just 6 months old with 4k miles. The fuel gauge is just below 1/4 empty , but no low fuel light.i should have said , the warning triangle was red. Should I take it to a garage or or Land Rover assistance?

Update .. Started the car this morning , warning has gone .. Shocked Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #257059 16th Mar 2015 6:39 am
dorsetfreelander

I would call out LR assistance, they are very good and seem to be well equipped for jaguar/LR problems. They have diagnostic kit on board and even updated the software on one of my cars. If necessary they book you into a dealer of your choice and arrange for a hire car. (and transporter if necessary).

Just another thought but you said that the fuel was below 1/4. I understand that an FL2 will not run out of fuel, if you keep driving with the warning light on then it goes into the "reduced performance" mode and eventually the car will stop so that there is still fuel in the pipework. I wonder if you have a fuel gauge or sender problem? Try putting some fuel in.

Sorry just read your update.... Smile 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #257076 16th Mar 2015 10:37 am
Zygote

Had this happen to me as well just after ragging it past a slow moving scooby on the A7. LR assist were brilliant and turned out to be a dodgy fuel filter as well. It might be gone now but I'd bet it'll come back.

I didn't actually notice any reduced performance despite what the car was trying to tell me.

Post #257303 17th Mar 2015 10:50 pm
Purplemadboy

Another update. I don't drive the freelander much ,so yesterday was the first outing since the error warning. I drove around my home town doing some errands, still with less than 1/4 tank . I did a few hard accelerations in auto and in command mode. Nothing , no error . Filled the car up today and went to my mums , about 15 miles away via motorway , drove fast in command mode on the way home .. Nothing Shocked . If it crops up again I will let you guys know.

Thanks for all the input. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #257571 20th Mar 2015 5:57 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Reduced engine performance

I know this has been covered all over the forum but im just after peoples thoughts on the symptoms im getting

Filled up with BP standard diesel last Thursday, MPG was immediately excellent and seemed to have a bit more response under the pedal as well.

Covered 380 odd miles then filled up to brim again at Asda.

Since filling with the BP fuel, when the temperatures have been low over the last few days, the engine has fired up on first push but has then chugged and struggled to normalise the revs, and there has been a good smog of blue smoke out the exhaust. This only happens until the revs level off and the chugging stops and all is fine then for the rest of the day

Since filling up with Asda fuel Monday evening, covering about 80 miles, still got the rough idle and blue smoke at first start up but this morning I got the reduced engine performance warning, no rough running and no apparent blue smoke.

Switched off, switched back on again and its all good.

My thoughts are fuel filter, as its done about 11000 miles since last LR A service (full LR history). Don't think its the EGR as its low revs only and never seen the glow plugs symbol light up anyway so don't think its them.

Any further suggestions ?

Post #290658 17th Feb 2016 10:36 am
Tpot

Hi, Starting ok followed by chugging, in my experience, sounds like at least 1 glowplug has died, blue smoke is unburnt diesel from the cylinder with the duff glowplug. My car had been gradually losing good glowplugs over the years until last winter I was left with only one good one! Since I've had all four replaced the car has started fine, and no chugging.

Fuel filter would be my guess for the reduced performance message since as far as I know the A service doesn't include the fuel filter so the mileage from the last change of filter could be from the last B service. I have had issues when I changed the filter every 2 years, I now change it every year, it helps that I do the servicing of course.

Regards
Tony

Post #290682 17th Feb 2016 2:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

We had a Peugeot diesel with exactly this, turned out that one glow plug had failed. Bought a set of 4 in a French supermarket (!) and immediate improvement in starting and no smoke. You can test them in situ with a meter, they are fairly low resistance so if it's above a few tens of ohms (or infinity) then that's the one. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #290693 17th Feb 2016 4:57 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Will a knackered glow plug show on an OBD diagnostic? I've still got another month left on the warranty and the Jaguar garage I bought from has so far been excellent in after sales care.

Post #290712 17th Feb 2016 7:10 pm
danieda

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
egr location removal

Hi, just purchased Freelander 2 57 reg 2.2 auto.

Reduced engine performance warning with eml on Code exhaust gas high.

Does anyone know how to remove egr valve I think I have located it front right of engine. it looks like its got four torx bolt heads with raised centre which I havnt seen before. does anyone know how to removal these.

Thanks

Post #291130 21st Feb 2016 4:13 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

On your MY you don't need to remove it, just blank it off. Not sure if that is the issue though?

Post #291135 21st Feb 2016 4:45 pm
Thurston Howell the Third

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I've had the Restricted Performance warning at least 5 times in the last week. Booked it in to have it looked at under warranty. It seems to come on after I've played loud music......and I think my taste in music is not too bad!

Post #291832 27th Feb 2016 1:55 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Coincidence? I had this on my MY13 two weeks ago. Occurred just as I pulled onto the M11 and stayed on all the way to Cambridge. I didn't stop to investigate as I was giving someone a lift, the weather was foul and the car (SD4) was still happy to do 70 on the motorway (slowed slightly on hills). Turned off the engine for 5 minutes in Cambridge and the problem disappeared, and hasn't recurred. I haven't had it checked, and won't unless it does it again, but I suspect something like a DPF sensor throwing a wobbly. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #291893 28th Feb 2016 12:05 am
taztastic

England 

I've had the reduced performance come up today, wasn't sure at first if I had hit ice, I was tearing around the dales when the warning came up and the revs dropped, the display also said 'press OK to clear' pressed and all was well? In for service in a couple of weeks, will find out what, if anything, was logged.

Post #292411 3rd Mar 2016 7:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>