Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Reduced engine performance ALL HERE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Sparkes

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Many thanks for everyones input. Despite it still being drivable and no error messages I noticed over the weekend that the throttle body no longer makes it's usual "clunk" after the high pitched noise. I could also hear a grinding noise which is presumably when the cogs reset.

I can't find any sign of splits in the pipes so I'm going to order a new throttle body to try first.

Thanks again, Andrew. 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
Problems/solutions include: rear diff pinion replaced, stearing rack and pump replaced, alternator earth cable replaced (plus new alternator as misdiagnosed), throttle body replaced, MAP sensor replaced, secondary earth cable...
2002 MG TF 160 1.8i VVC - Gone
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #307167 19th Sep 2016 1:30 pm
Sparkes

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Well, finally got around to repalcing the throttle body and upon opening the unit it was full of oil. Replaced the throttle body which makes an improvement however it still bogs down when going up hill or on times changing up a gear. I've ordered a repalcement MAP sesnsor with the hope of resolving the issue.

What I should of put at the start was that I had a diagnostic test from a local independent and both the throttle body and MAP sensor had errors.

The MAP sensor should arrive by the weekend so I'll update the thread. To limit the ongoing expense of diagnostic testing I've just ordered a Launch CRP129 OBD reader which gives a bit more detail than other cheaper units. I'll also update on if it's been a worthwhile purchase.

A 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
Problems/solutions include: rear diff pinion replaced, stearing rack and pump replaced, alternator earth cable replaced (plus new alternator as misdiagnosed), throttle body replaced, MAP sensor replaced, secondary earth cable...
2002 MG TF 160 1.8i VVC - Gone
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #309245 18th Oct 2016 1:22 pm
Madgadd

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Ipanema Sand
New Turbo, but get message Reduced Engine Performance.

Hi All,
Hope you can help with some advise.
At the begging of October I fitted a new turbo to my 2007 Freelander 2 S TD4.
Since then a noise developed before 1000KM's, I took the vehicle back and it was determined that the Intercooler is leaking under boost. I have a new Intercooler on order and it will arrive Tuesday, 25 October.

However the car has now died on me 3 times, and comes up with the error Reduced Engine Performance.
The first time the car died they checked for fault codes and none were logged, very confusing, but I was told the battery was on its last legs.
The 2nd time this happened I got the car started with a boost, and immediately bought a new battery.
The very next day, today in other words, I was driving the car and while at a crawl trying to pass another vehicle the car came up Reduced Engine Performance and stalled. After swearing and cursing I got car started eventually.

It clearly was not the battery. I am not convinced replacing the intercooler will resolve the issue, but I am not sure which sensors are involved in monitoring the turbo and kicking to protect the motor.

It is not the first time this car is not giving error codes.

Could you please help me understand what sensors will be involved in the turbo operation and how it will be affected with a boost leak on the intercooler?

Thanks Thanks

SMG

Post #309344 20th Oct 2016 6:50 pm
MikeBob

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Izmir Blue

There is an electrical connection on the turbo, called the actuator. Also the MAF sensor on the throttle body. If there is a boost leak can you hear a whistling sound?

Post #309373 21st Oct 2016 8:04 am
Madgadd

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply.
There is what I call a "whine", not really a whistle. The mechanic I took on the road says the whine comes from the front left where I know the boost leak is. However I think the whine is from the turbo itself, but I am probably wrong!
The MAF sensor by the air cleaner was replaced 4 or 5 months ago, so I am sort of happy with that.
But the MAP sensor on the throttle body has not been replaced, only cleaned.

Regards Thanks

SMG

Post #309380 21st Oct 2016 9:13 am
MikeBob

It's possible the whine is on the turbo. There is a gasket between turbo and exhaust manifold that can leak. Why was the turbo replaced and was there a boost leak before it happened?

If the sensors are clean you should be ok

Post #309388 21st Oct 2016 11:47 am
Madgadd

The bearings were going and the turbo was leaking oil, the vanes were scratching the housing.
There probably was a boost leak, but I was focused on the turbo through September.

I think I need to insist that they drop the under tray and recheck the fitment of the turbo. Thanks

SMG

Post #309389 21st Oct 2016 12:00 pm
MikeBob

I agree...depending where in jhb you are I could have a listen for you if you don't come right

Post #309390 21st Oct 2016 12:05 pm
Madgadd

Thank you, I might call on you next week sometime if you don't mind.

P.S. I have checked the MAP sensor and it is broken, I have used silicon to seal it for now, but will order a new sensor tomorrow.

Regards Thanks

SMG

Post #309391 21st Oct 2016 12:08 pm
Rongagin

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Reduced performance message

Just some information really. My 2013 FL2 td4 suddenly showed this message and went into "limp mode". Also amber engine light.
Tried stopping, switching off then restart. Same message. Went slowly home.
Called out LR assist and their technician came and did lots of checks, a new piece of equipment he had, sorry don't know what, was plugged in and he said the problem was turbo related.
Anyway after having a look underneath he found an electrical connector had come apart, the locking tab was broken off? He re-connected and used a cable tie to make sure it stayed put. Success, no more lights and message, drives fine for past three days.
Thought it may help someone.

Post #309524 23rd Oct 2016 10:18 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Miles Done ? Type of use and do you off road Please as I have a MY13 at 47K ?

Last week I had a power out for a millisecond and now waiting for the big bad event. Sad Fight back plan of action so far will be keep the battery topped up over the coming winter and electrics under bonnet spayed with water replant but other wise in the hands of the Land-rover Gods. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #309525 23rd Oct 2016 11:05 pm
Rongagin

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Miles at 37800
Not used off-road
Must say about three months ago I had same problem, not sure about amber engine light, but a stop and restart twice and we were going clear again. The fuel was down to 80 miles left. I filled up asap.

Post #309526 23rd Oct 2016 11:17 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I had a similar problem which started as I drove away from the dealer after a service. Took it back in and after a few minutes they had fixed it. They said they didn't know what it was but I suspect they had disturbed an electrical connector.

J

Post #309540 24th Oct 2016 9:18 am
Madgadd

Update - it appears the the new MAP sensor has resolved the "Reduced Engine Performance " issue.
I fitted the new sensor yesterday and the car has not faltered once today.
I have received the intercooler but will only fit this on Thursday. Hopefully then my boost issue will be resolved.

Regards. Thanks

SMG

Post #309648 25th Oct 2016 6:10 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

This isn't relevant to your current issue but for future reference I have had a few problems like this which were related to the fuel filter which went away when the filter was replaced. A LR Assist guy told me that they went through a period where a lot of FL2s were experiencing similar problems especially on cold mornings where the diesel was waxing up slightly and blocking the filter. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #309650 25th Oct 2016 6:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>