« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Events > Freel2 Meet and scenic drive - Planning thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Freel2 Meet and scenic drive - Planning thread

I been thinking after looking a BJartins coast to coast drive if there was anything we could do as a forum

I know loads of people don't take their cars off road so maybe something with more of a scenic aspect than off roading, or something on very easy no risk of damage tracks with a possible more risky part for those who want to Wink

I was thinking something along the lines of spending a day driving the passes in the lake district (hardknott, wrynose etc) on a planned route with a pub lunch/picnic or a trip on a ferry round one of the lakes (to please the missus and/or kids) then maybe with a over night stay in a b&b or campsite (eskdale?) to have a few beers and a bite to eat in a pub.

Whats the thoughts on this and who would be interested? Maybe one weekend in the summer, maybe coinciding with any European members visits to the UK

Use this thread to sign up, saying yes or no and for discussing ideas and date etc, then a new thread can be setup to get official numbers in time Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 19th Feb 2010 6:40 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #58913 10th Feb 2010 11:12 am
swfrom07

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

A great idea npinks Thumbs Up and having just bought my FL2, I wouldnt mind going off roading as well even if it isnt something too extreme.

A weekend in the summer sounds good and gives everyone enough time to sign up. Camping (without a caravan) for us and a bbq (might need a big one depending on the numbers) is okay with me.

Yes for swmbo and me anytime after May.

Post #58924 10th Feb 2010 11:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

click the button on the top to add your name Thumbs Up

I am sure somewhere can be sorted that can cope for caravans, campers and local B&Bs'

BBQ sounds good, possible at a picnic area over looking a lake, down at a lake side so the dogs can get wet etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58935 10th Feb 2010 12:05 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes good idea, were in. Thumbs Up
But wouldn't want to follow your 'hovercraft' experience at Tong lake Shocked

Post #58947 10th Feb 2010 12:51 pm
athelstan

npinks
Interesting concept - we've no planned UK visits but I'll watch this thread with interest in case we do come over.

Idea
However, I'd be more than happy to arrange an FL2 group scenic tour here in Switzerland. Take folks on routes they would not be generally discover as "tourists" etc.. But, absolutely no caravans as some of the mountain passes we'd traverse are officially closed to any towed vehicle.

Post #58950 10th Feb 2010 12:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

sounds another idea, though it would be slightly more expensive than a UK based one for UK based members, but again see what the thoughts are on the forum

it could be split into two a UK based one and a Switzerland based one (for those who haven't blown their cash on accessories Laughing )

Though i doubt i could do the Switzerland one due to putting our house on the market to sell, apparently i need to save for the £6000 moving cost Big Cry Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58953 10th Feb 2010 1:20 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

athelstan wrote:
passes we'd traverse are officially closed to any towed vehicle.

AD5806805 cant come then as we would have to tow his sticken LR Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #58957 10th Feb 2010 1:26 pm
athelstan

Cheap Laughing

Don't move house in Switzerland. Last March we moved only 40mls - total cost including all the local authority permits (yes you have to have permission/register to move) was approx UK£17,400 Big Cry

Post #58958 10th Feb 2010 1:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58963 10th Feb 2010 2:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think the lakes is quiet a good venue for this as its accessible by most member, those living in the Lakes will have local knowledge of lanes, winding passes and good runs out with pubs or picnic spots

its accessable for southern members by blasting up the M6, and down for Scotish Members, A65 for eastern ones etc

If anybody has a interesting job, that we could incorporate into the day, thats something to look at too, (RRSport had a day with a RAF Chinook display team on a RAF base last year)

It would be great to have loads of FL2 in various colours driving along in convoy Cool

or how about a treasure hunt Question , each car given clues and you have to drive round solving the puzzles to end up at a pub for dinner and fine stout Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58981 10th Feb 2010 3:30 pm
athelstan

Part of those "moving" costs (if changing from one Kantone to another) is the fact that you have to surrender your existing Kantone license plate and "log book" and pay for the associated admin and recycling fees, and then go to your new Kantone traffic office and buy a new number plate / log book and pay for all the admin fees therein - plus the new different road tax fee. And then have the vehicle "MOT'd" in your new Kantone. What with Italian motorbikes and British cars in the stable you can quickly run up a very hefty automotive transfer bill Evil or Very Mad

Post #58983 10th Feb 2010 3:39 pm
Rowy

cCount me out you lot are a bunch of tossers

Last edited by Rowy on 17th Feb 2010 4:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #58985 10th Feb 2010 3:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Virtually the same prices as my local Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58986 10th Feb 2010 3:48 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Wouldn't mind going up the Hardnott & or Wrynose Pass in my FL2. We love the Lakes & visited the passes briefly last Summer in the Rover 25. Just depends on when it is. I am one that wouldn't want to do serious off-roading in my FL2 as I wish to keep it looking new. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #59032 10th Feb 2010 7:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

EV if you read NP's intro post the whole idea is that it's NOT where your up to your elbows in s Censored t, but with a small divert you go for a 'play' if you wanted to Thumbs Up

Post #59035 10th Feb 2010 8:02 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>