Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 41 <123 ... 91011 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Note to all the knockers and nay sayers.

EV cars such as Ipace are a joy to drive , getting back in a ice vehicle is indeed like entering a museum, get used to it they are coming, and when you finally convert you will wonder why you took so long.

Solar panels help me greatly on costings but even if electric cost the same as fossil fuels EV would still be a better car. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #424231 14th Aug 2022 11:07 am
Dartman the one

England 

I was using my experience on 3 phase induction motors liquid cooled and fitted to an ROV , so spent most of its time at about 5deg C and 50hp, admittedly it was 20 years ago so hopefully the insulation has improved as well as the build standard of the windings, I did query the fact the stator windings were not immersed in insulating varnish and autoclaved, I suspected that the windings moved due to the swash action of the rotor immersed in oil. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #424232 14th Aug 2022 11:45 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Interesting but I am pretty sure no mainstream EVs use oil in their motors at all, in the reduction transmission they do.

I guess 20 years makes a big difference. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424234 14th Aug 2022 12:41 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

An ROV motor has to have a non compressible medium inside the motor casing, as it keeps the water out.
An EV doesn't need anything inside the motor, as a standard oil seal keeps the outside world out.
Ev motors spin fast, so oil inside would cause huge amounts of drag, which isn't wanted.

From what I've seen, an EV motor will last the life of the vehicle, probably many times over. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #424236 14th Aug 2022 4:27 pm
Boxbrownie

That was my understanding of the EV motors, so no real comparison with the ROV motor. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424237 14th Aug 2022 5:13 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My choice at the moment could be the Hyundai IONIQ 5, it seems one of the most SUV like EVs, a nice square body (not too squashed)

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/ioniq5

And, for a PHEV, if I had the money then I would love a RRS PHEV, as I still like the high 'command' driving position, and interiors of the LR/RR vehicles. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #424240 14th Aug 2022 6:03 pm
Nodge68

The Ioniq 5 would be on my list, along with the Polestar 2. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #424248 14th Aug 2022 9:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

That sloping tailgate will hinder load carrying by the looks of it. Depends what you want to carry of course. Jules

Post #424249 14th Aug 2022 11:25 pm
Boxbrownie

Nodge68 wrote:
The Ioniq 5 would be on my list, along with the Polestar 2.

Daughter changed her three year old iPace for a Polestar recently, it is tiny inside…..feels more like a Fiesta, terrible design.

She gets better range but she puts that down to the fact it’s a lot slower than the iPace was and so she doesn’t exploit the fun performance as much Whistle Regards

David

Post #424258 15th Aug 2022 10:54 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

It's on the same platform as the XC40 and they've made it look larger by making it a saloon/hatchback crossover rather than SUV/Estate, so not surprising the cabin is a bit on the small side. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #424262 15th Aug 2022 2:41 pm
Nodge68

I happen to like the shape and styling of the Polestar 2. The I Pace is probably a better all round vehicle, with more equipment as standard, but the styling looks out of proportion to me, like an F Pace that's been flattened in a crusher.
Performance wise on paper there's not a lot in between the I Pace and AWD PS2, and the PS2 scores slightly higher in the crash tests, and is more efficient. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #424266 15th Aug 2022 6:20 pm
Boxbrownie

Daughter got the LR lower powered version as she didn’t like the limited (230 miles) range she got with the iPace usually, but even though the iPace wasn’t exactly big inside it makes the Polestar seem a couple of classes below, in size not quality.

The IPace is exactly like an F/E Pace which has been sat on by dumbo, that was the idea….keep the design cues but make it different enough. Regards

David

Post #424267 15th Aug 2022 6:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Although I very much liked the I-Pace to drive, my wife hated the lower seating position and the letter box windows.

As you can see in my post above, I tend to agree with her views as most modern designs have 'Dumbo sat here look'.

In fact, now several years ago, when we first spotted a transporter full of (the then new) Evoques going up the motorway, we were both of the opinion that the little squat LR would never sell.
Just shows you how in line with public opinion we are! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #424281 16th Aug 2022 10:39 am
Boxbrownie

We don't like the squat look either, probably one of the reasons we liked the i3 when first launched. Regards

David

Post #424291 16th Aug 2022 1:42 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I came across this today, interesting!

The unit cost of electricity will nearly double under new energy prices released yesterday, taking it up to 56p per kWh, up from 28p. Petrol prices have fallen in recent weeks and stand at £1.70 per litre, in comparison.

As a result, it will cost more to travel long distances in an electric car than a petrol one – even before factoring in higher purchase prices for greener vehicles.

The owner of a Jaguar i-PACE, an electric SUV, would spend £99 more to travel the same distance as a driver in the petrol equivalent, the Jaguar f-PACE, according to calculations by breakdown service, the RAC.

The petrol version can travel around 400 miles on a full tank of petrol, which would cost around £50. The electric model only has a range of 290 miles and would need multiple charges to travel 400 miles – this would cost £99 more after October’s electricity price hike.

The same is true for cheaper models. A Kia e-Niro owner would have to spend £88 more than a Kia Sportage driver to travel the same distance.

The e-Niro will cost £33.80 to fully charge from October compared to £18.37 at the moment, RAC estimations showed.

The firm’s Rod Dennis said those who charged their cars at home would really feel the impact of October’s energy price rise.

He added: “A full charge of a typical family-sized electric SUV will cost 84pc more from October than it does under the current cap. Public charge points also have no choice but to increase prices to reflect rising wholesale costs, which will heavily impact drivers.”

Electric vehicle drivers can secure preferential electricity rates to charge at home with special EV tariffs available from some energy firms. However, the upfront cost of electric models is still far higher than petrol equivalents.

The cheapest MG ZS sells for as little as £16,795, according to comparison site CarWow, while its electric version, the MG ZS EV, costs around £30,000 on the manufacturer’s website.

Surging demand for electric cars has combined with a supply crunch of vital technology and driven up prices. Figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders showed there was a 50pc increase in registrations of electric cars during the first seven months of the year, compared with the same period in 2021.

As a result, upfront costs have soared. The Honda-e is 30pc more expensive than this time last year, according to comparison site electrifying.com.

BMW has also increased its prices. In the past two months, the price for its iX model has risen by more than £7,400 to £77,305.

Ginny Buckley, of the website, said high prices, long wait times and the scrapping of a Government grant was pricing average consumers out of the market.

She said: “Electric car buyers are facing a reality where they need to find several thousand pounds more to get their chosen new car. Add to this the fact that drivers are having to wait up to 14 months to get behind the wheel, and we can see that electric cars could start to become out of reach.”

The RAC said the Government should cut the VAT charged on public charge points from 20pc to 5pc to aid electric vehicle drivers as energy prices rise. This, Mr Dennis said, would mirror the VAT rate on domestic energy bills.resting reading!

Post #424725 28th Aug 2022 5:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 41 <123 ... 91011 ... 394041>