Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Webasto... Who is after a project?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver
Webasto... Who is after a project?

Just spotted this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Freel...4cfd3e9b79

Very tempting but I have a feeling it will be a lot of work! Thumbs Up 

Post #125942 3rd Jan 2012 12:23 pm
alex_pescaru

Yes, it can be retrofited.
But on a car without it from production, the engine can't start and stop it automatically when the outside temperature is below 5 degrees C or when the engine coolant is about 80 degrees C.
For that you should, at least, update the firmware in the CJB, HVAC, and PCM.
But if you are comfortable to start it by remote control and ALSO STOP IT manually with the remote control, then it will be a best companion in the cold winters.

And yes, it will be quite some work to do, but again, it's worth it, especially in cold climate.
I know because I have it and I've activated the remote control functionality (which isn't activated by default in the car's CCF - another modification to do, besides the above), but I didn't bought a Telestart T91 remote control, I've made a small microcontroller based control module and I am activating it with the car's remote control by using the lights on/off remote control button - a button which is quite unused.

Post #125958 3rd Jan 2012 2:55 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

you could possibly wire a timer in so it stopped a few minutes after the ignition was switched on?

or maybe this would cause fault codes in the webasto?

I found it simpler to buy a used rrs instead Whistle
and to be honest it doesnt heat up much faster than the fl2's electric heater, needs the remote switching to be really useful At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #125962 3rd Jan 2012 3:04 pm
alex_pescaru

For the user the heat may be the same, but in the same time, despite the electric heater that warms up only the air that enters the cabin, in the FFBH case, the engine's warmed up a lot faster which is more important for the engine's and its components' life.

And you can't just wire a timer and cut its power after ignition off. The FFBH must be permanently powered up and has its own procedure for shutdown (which lasts for about 3 minutes) when it enters a cool down period and prepares/cleans its components for the next cycle/start.
Therefore the Stop (and Start) command must be given by a W-Bus capable device. Only the Telestart T91, Telestart T100 and the "oval programmer/timer" type 1533 know this protocol. And of course, some aftermarket devices. Smile

Post #125966 3rd Jan 2012 3:50 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi!

I have the OEM Thermo top in my 2007 TD4. It is currently only working as a heater when it's cold and the engine is running. I have bought the 1533 timer in hope that I can use the heater as a preheater.

So........I have found the wiring from the 1533 to the Thermo top and all looks good, but Land Rover is recommending me not to start the heater without the engine running because of fault codes and so on....?

Also Alex, did you find a way to start the fan as well to get cabin temp or are you just using it for wam up the engine? FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #126192 5th Jan 2012 8:54 am
alex_pescaru

redlabel wrote:
Land Rover is recommending me not to start the heater without the engine running because of fault codes and so on....?

No, it's not like that. This is just propaganda.
The TTV can run in two modes: auxiliary heater and parking heater.
The auxiliary heater means it is ONLY driven through CAN, by the car, and helps to heat up the engine quicker.
The condition is that the temperature to be below +5 degrees C. With the only draw back that if you have the HVAC turned off, then the heater wont start also.
In parking heater mode the heater can be also be started, independently from the engine, through the heater's W-Bus port even if the engine is off. The condition is that the temperature to be below +15 degrees C.
By default, from factory, the TTV works only in auxiliary heater mode.
So, if you want for that 1533 timer to work (or Telestart T91, or any W-Bus capable device), you must update the car's CCF and the firmwares in the CJB, ECM, HVAC and FFBH. That because the TTV FFBH is on the low speed CAN, like HVAC, who is commanding it, and the info about temperature is taken from the ECM which is on the high speed CAN. The only common point for all these is the CJB.
This is done by the dealear's tools by entering in "Add/Remove Accesories" section and execute "Add Telestart Diesel Engine Pre-Heat".
Without executing the "Add Telestart" option, the heater will not acknowledge the parking heater command (given by 1533, T91, etc) and will not start. In fact it will be blocked by the HVAC and CJB, through CAN-bus, to do it. That's why you need to update the firmware in those modules.

redlabel wrote:
Also Alex, did you find a way to start the fan as well to get cabin temp or are you just using it for wam up the engine?

Not yet, for the moment I was interested only in preheating the engine.
For starting the fan, you'll have to insert your commands into the fan's module as the fan is driven by a PWM signal from the HVAC module. This is the elegant way. You could also do it by separating with relays the fan and when the ignition is off, you will drive the fan by yourself.
Maybe on the near future, if I will have time.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 5th Jan 2012 12:14 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #126193 5th Jan 2012 9:28 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Alex - see the Danhag thread on DISCO3, I've got one of their GSM dialler WBUS controllers and the HVAC fan controller and it works well Smile

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic57865.html?highlight=danhag

Post #126194 5th Jan 2012 9:32 am
alex_pescaru

Yes, but the Disco 3 HVAC configuration is quite different from the FL2's...
There are notable differences in how the HVAC's stepper motors are driven.
You need to open/close the flaps for air flow to the corect outputs, no matter how they were left, right?
This is why, from what I've know, the module is not quite so compatible with FL2's HVAC.
This, if you want the air flow to also be properly redirected...
If you want only the fan to start, supposingly when you left the car you've left the HVAC ON and with proper air flow set, then it will work.
You can also look (using Google translate) on: http://lr-service.ru and search for the relevant sections.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 8th Oct 2012 10:23 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #126196 5th Jan 2012 9:36 am
redlabel

Thank you for the info Alex. Will look into this now.
But, regarding your comment about the condition of the parking heater..Does it have to be below -15 degrees for it to even start?!?!? Even with the Start command on the w-bus from the 1533?

Also, if I tell my dealer to do the following that is all that is needed or does he have to do more? "Add/Remove Accesories" section and execute "Add Telestart Diesel Engine Pre-Heat".
I just got a new TTV because the old one was faulty.

E

alex_pescaru wrote:

No, it's not like that. This is just propaganda.
The TTV can run in two modes: auxiliary heater and parking heater.
The auxiliary heater means it is ONLY driven through CAN, by the car, and helps to heat up the engine quicker.
The condition is that the temperature to be below 5 degrees C. With the only draw back that if you have the HVAC turned off, then the heater wont start also.
In parking heater mode the heater can be also be started, independently from the engine, through the heater's W-Bus port even if the engine is off. The condition is that the temperature to be below 15 degrees C.
By default, from factory, the TTV works only in auxiliary heater mode.
So, if you want for that 1533 timer to work (or Telestart T91, or any W-Bus capable device), you must update the car's CCF and the firmwares in the CJB, ECM, HVAC and FFBH. That because the TTV FFBH is on the low speed CAN, like HVAC, who is commanding it, and the info about temperature is taken from the ECM which is on the high speed CAN. The only common point for all these is the CJB.
This is done by the dealear's tools by entering in "Add/Remove Accesories" section and execute "Add Telestart Diesel Engine Pre-Heat".
Without executing the "Add Telestart" option, the heater will not acknowledge the parking heater command (given by 1533, T91, etc) and will not start. In fact it will be blocked by the HVAC and CJB, through CAN-bus, to do it. That's why you need to update the firmware in those modules.

Not yet, for the moment I was interested only in preheating the engine.
For starting the fan, you'll have to insert your commands into the fan's module as the fan is driven by a PWM signal from the HVAC module. This is the elegant way. You could also do it by separating with relays the fan and when the ignition is off, you will drive the fan by yourself.
Maybe on the near future, if I will have time.
 FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #126197 5th Jan 2012 9:45 am
alex_pescaru

There must be below +(plus)15 degrees C, not -15.
Yes, if it is above +15 degrees, then the HVAC will unconditionally broadcast on the CAN-bus the stop FFBH command. And as FFBH is listening on the CAN also, it will stop.
But as long as you've added the Telestart option, you can disconnect the CAN wires from the FFBH and you can start it whenever you want, as long as the cooling fluid is below +60 degrees C.
If you disconnect the CAN bus wires from FFBH, it will not be started anymore by the engine, but you'll have total control. Manually of course...
But this, indeed, will mark an error on the CJB, like "lost communication with FFBH", but the car and HVAC will work just fine.

Just tell the dealer to go to "Add/Remove accesories" then execute "Add Telestart" option.
It will last about 10 minutes, as the firmwares will be updated, but after that you'll be able to to whatever you like about the TTV. This is the way I've done it.

Post #126207 5th Jan 2012 12:11 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

slightly to one side really but can you all remember when Alex first came on the forum and he was apologising for his English. I have just read through this topic and he may as well go back to his native language because I can't understand a word of it and I don't think that the English is the problem. Bow down Bow down Bow down Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #126210 5th Jan 2012 12:41 pm
redlabel

Haha Alex really know his stuff and to follow him you have to know the all the short forms of the name of the components Wink

Thanks again Alex. I will go to my dealer and have them enable the Telestart Smile
How long before you're going to go for a drive do you start the FFBH? When around 0C FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #126212 5th Jan 2012 12:53 pm
alex_pescaru

redlabel wrote:
How long before you're going to go for a drive do you start the FFBH? When around 0C

From what I've seen during tests and by monitoring the FFBH sensors, it takes about 10 minutes to raise the temperature from 0C to about 80C during which time FFBH works full power (5kW).
BUT, once the 81C mark has been hit, the FFBH enters in low power mode (2kW).
The next 5 minutes you'll see the temperature dropping back to about 70C and then, in the following minutes, slowly raising back towards 80C target.
So you can draw a conclusion from here: the water is quickly warming up, but the big hunk of metal below your hood is having a quite big thermal inertia.
So I believe that after 15 minutes, even if the water temperature is about 70-80C, the temperature inside the engine head (top of the cylinders) is not above 30 degrees. But anyhow, 30 degrees is like you start the engine from cold in the summer time. Quite OK, in my oppinion.
15 minutes is how I also programmed my home built w-bus capable device.
Now, of course, with a much lower initial temperature the time may need extending.
I've read somewhere that the time for preheating should be about equal with the trip time. If you have a trip of 30 minutes, then set it for 30 minutes. This way you will efficiently use the battery which will not drain too much.
The FFBH consumes about 45W at full load and about 30W at partial load. Of course, much more in the first couple of minutes when the FFBH is starting and the glow plug is operating.

Post #126230 5th Jan 2012 3:39 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Rolling Eyes think I will stick with putting on a thicker jumper on cold mornings... Whistle

Post #126232 5th Jan 2012 3:55 pm
redlabel

Thanks Alex. Once again..... Bow down FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #126317 5th Jan 2012 9:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>