Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 25 <123 45 ... 232425>
Print this entire topic · 
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Anybody notice the return of the dreaded hesitation with the warmer weather at the weekend?

I think mine did it just once. Crying or Very sad

Post #256162 9th Mar 2015 4:23 pm
EYorkshire

Yes, 14 degrees seem to be the turning point.

Post #256165 9th Mar 2015 4:38 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Noticed it a couple of times in the last few months when temps have been above 10 degrees, but not at the weekend surprisingly, although I didn't use the vehicle much.

Post #256167 9th Mar 2015 4:59 pm
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue

Finally got my car back after a long series of trips back and fore to the dealer in February.
the work has included replacement of the turbo and the EGR Valve and one further trip back to the dealer as I was getting exhaust fumes in the cabin and then found various parts not refitted correctly with missing and incorrect fasteners. this resulted in turbo hoses also being replaced!

When I finally got it back after close inspection to reassure myself that they had actually replaced everything properly I haven't had further problems

this weekend I saw ambient temperatures of up to 15 deg C and all was well with lights , A/C and everything else on the motor is pulling away smoothly and going through the gears with no hesitation at all.

If I was being really picky there is a little something when throttling on from deceleration but it's almost imperceptible and could be a little fueling and transmission lash combining.

I would say that at the moment I think its okay but lets see what happens when we get the first properly warm day of 18 deg plus.

fingers crossed Thumbs Up

Post #256287 10th Mar 2015 5:48 pm
SimonB

Andy, thanks for the feedback, that sounds encouraging at least.

Can I ask, was the problem reproducing and LR followed the bulletin, or, you had a clear idea yourself of what you felt needed changing, or LR diagnosed the fault without any reproduction, or they just 'guessed'? I'm just curious since I was told they could/would not do a great deal without the fault being reproducible.

Thanks
Simon

Post #256352 11th Mar 2015 8:10 am
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue

Simon,

I often got conflicting information from the dealer and from JLR customer services with the dealer telling me that they recognised that there was an issue and customer services telling be that the dealer was reporting that they could not reproduce the fault.

That is why in the end I took my own telemetry from my vehicle and showed them exactly where the hesitation was occurring.

I also put in writing that the issue was only apparent when at full working temperature and when Ambient temp was above 13 to 15 deg C

The dealership tells me that the EGR doesn't operate until engine temperature has reached normal operating temp (I don't know if this is correct or not and as an Engineer I don't believe everything a main dealer tells me as quite often they do not have the detailed technical knowledge they profess to have!)

When it was agreed that a tech from the Factory would comedown to look my car we also agreed that they would "frig" the inlet manifold temp sensor to a value above 15 deg C. I was told that once they did this they could see that the EGR was not operating correctly.

I don't honestly know for sure if there has also been a software update. I think there could have been as the engine characteristics did seem different.

The problem I find is that there is always a lack of communication about what they are doing and how they are doing it when dealing with both the dealer and customer services

As I have said above with the limited time that temperatures have been in the range where the hesitation displayed itself I have not had any symptoms

I live in hope!

Post #256406 11th Mar 2015 3:43 pm
SimonB

Many thanks Andy.

I had my EGR replaced, allegedly, and whilst it may have given some relief at the time, I believe it coincided with a lowering of temperatures (seem to recall it was around Sept/Oct). That was in 2013, and it certainly did not provide a long term fix, it was back the following year.

What would be very interesting to know is if the diagnosis is the EGR not operating correctly, is the replacement of a different design, or, as you seem to suspect, there must be a corresponding software update to change its behaviour. But then, why replace the unit itself, unless there is a change in design and it requires newer software to support its operation.

I'll wait until mine reproduces consistently and then take it back in.

Post #256408 11th Mar 2015 3:54 pm
EYorkshire

I'd be interested with the weather warming if anyone has had the fault return Exclamation Mine has been totally cured by the dealer Very Happy

Last edited by EYorkshire on 16th Apr 2015 1:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #260641 16th Apr 2015 12:38 pm
Billsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

Mines doing it again with the temps up.

I've had no parts replaced only no faults found from the dealers.

Post #260642 16th Apr 2015 12:43 pm
SimonB

A couple of times and only quite gentle, I would have expected it to happen more, particularly in the last week.

Had the 4yr/60k service in March at an independent, which I believe replaces some items for the first time. I need to check what they are since I'm wondering if that might have helped minimise the problem.

However I'd need to get through Summer before I concluded anything.

Post #260644 16th Apr 2015 1:03 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was thinking about this the other day when the temp was showing 24C. I have had no problems since the fuel filter was replaced at the last service (60k) Oct 2014. Could it be as simple as fuel starvation? Previous to that I have had starting problems, hesitation and once switching into reduced performance mode when going up a hill. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #260645 16th Apr 2015 1:25 pm
EYorkshire

I think the difficulty is that LR has acknowledged that a few with the Auto box have a genuine concern with the hesitation/judder and released a 'bulletin' to dealers regarding this. However there seems to be a mixture within this thread that have similar symptoms but are not related.

Mine experienced this all last summer above 14 degrees while on a light throttle, at approx 30mph and about 1400rpm, then any gentle acceleration would introduce the fault with the rev counter jumping up/down around its correct reading. It behaved impeccably through the winter but returned a few weeks ago.

Went into the dealer and came out cured after following the LR bulletin instructions.

Post #260647 16th Apr 2015 1:38 pm
SimonB

That's good to know that the bulletin actions might lead to a fix for us all.

Do you know what they did/changed?

Post #260648 16th Apr 2015 1:43 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Interesting , I was told that they had "re calibrated the air flow system" on mine last year which seemed to fix the problem for a while. This was before the fuel filter change. PS mine is manual. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #260651 16th Apr 2015 2:53 pm
SimonBattersby

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Freelander 2 judders/hiccups at speed

Hello everyone, earlier this year we bought a 2009 Freelander auto with 70000 miles on for the better half to replace our Mondeo. The missus had wanted one for years and as we have a caravan we finally came to the conclusion that we had nothing to lose. Since collecting the car we had a few problems with the terrain response but that is now all sorted. The other problem is we're getting a slight judder/hic up at speed at irregular intervals. Initially we had the EGR replaced which seemed to fix it momentarily (about 3 weeks approximately) but then it started again. So then the garage insisted on replacing the EGR cooler as it was still bringing up a fault which had no positive outcome. When all this failed we had it back in at the garage last week and they said they checked over everything but they could no longer help us. After scouring the forums I read that the fuel filter/air filter and or crank shaft position sensor could be to blame so I replaced all of these. On another forum I read that It could a dirty injector and using a fuel supplement has sorted a similar problem so I decided to get a ,,Terraclean yesterday which should clean the injectors more thoughrely, although the car feels like it's running a lot better it still didn't sort out the problem.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be because we seem to be clutching at straws.

The wife's dream car is turning into a bit of a circus and its a real shame because we really do love to drive it.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Simon

Post #266221 7th Jun 2015 10:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 25 <123 45 ... 232425>