Home > Technical > Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 25 123 ... 232425>
Print this entire topic · 
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue
Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault

Mike,

Please see below an email regarding an issue that I have with my Freelander 2. The fault has been acknowledged by the dealer who informed me that LR were working on a "software patch" but could not give any indication of when this fault would / could be resolved.

I would appreciate if you can investigate and come back with details of any actions LR are taking to resolve the issue.

Should you feel you could benefit from a telephone conversation PM me for my number

Regards

Andy

--------------------------------------------------------------------

LR Advice, Please forward to LR Customer Service Dept as the email address is the only one available via your website

Guy,

In relation to the fault that is acknowledged and recorded with my Freelander, I contacted LR Customer Services as suggested.

Unfortunately I had no success in gaining any further information as they stated that; a) the Technical Dept are not customer facing and communication should be through Marshall's Peterborough and b) the customer service operator stated that the Technical department were awaiting the data downloaded from my vehicle.

Due to the Response I received from LR Customer Services Please can I request the following:

1. Please can you confirm that the vehicle data has been transmitted to LR Technical Dept (please can you supply the date and time of the transmission and the name of the recipient?)?
2. Please can you request from Land Rover that a representative from customer services call me with a time scale for the software resolution to the acknowledged engine management fault.
3. Provide me with a Land Rover issued reference number for my "case" so I can ensure that in future communications I am not starting from "square one".

As you can appreciate I am eager to at least have least some idea of the actions being taken by both yourselves and Land Rover PLC to address this issue that is affecting a number of Freelander 2 vehicles.

I look forward to a positive response

Many Regards

Andrew Mustoe

Post #232209 20th Aug 2014 4:56 pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the post.

I have just seen your email in the inbox, I will make sure this is addressed asap.

Many Thanks

Mike Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #232256 21st Aug 2014 9:08 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Mike, since this might relate to this http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502.html, could you please ensure that details are shared on the forum.

Many thanks
Simon

Post #232286 21st Aug 2014 2:00 pm
23Skidoo

Hi Mike,

I've not heard anything from either the dealer or yourselves at LR customer services.

Any Progress to report?

As you have recieved the email I sent to both LR and the dealer you should have my mobile no. Please feel free to call me should this help to clarify my position.

Many Regards

Andy

Post #232405 22nd Aug 2014 9:39 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Is your car a 2011 facelift version?

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20777.html

Post #235546 22nd Sep 2014 4:06 pm
23Skidoo

Yes it is, and my understanding at the moment from Land Rover is thet they have an issue which is affecting 2011 and 2012 models.

I'm currently awaiting a written response to a letter I sent to JLR ltd As Customer Services have been unable to give me any answers to my questions apart from the JLR Tech Dept is working on a software patch.

One thing I have noticed is that the hesitation in my car becomes more apparent when the operating temperature of the car has reached normal and the ambient temperature rises above 10 deg C.

I haven't passed this latest info on yet, but the worry is that JLR try to dismiss the fault now that the weather is getting colder and it then re- appears next summer and we get the " sorry it's out of Warranty" lark

Post #235746 24th Sep 2014 12:20 pm
dorsetfreelander

Ours was doing it the other morning and the temperature was only 8degrees. We have also had the "reduced engine performance" message come up (cleared by stopping and restarting the car). Dealer has admitted that they can't do anything until LR comes up with a fix. Bought the car in March and was fine for a few months then the problems started. Funny thing is that after several software upgrades and "airflow calibration" which improved things for a while the car seems to regress over a few weeks which sounds more like a hardware fault to me. My son, who owns the car, is now on the point of getting rid of it and going for another manufacturer.

Post #235769 24th Sep 2014 3:51 pm
SimonB

Ryan, can we please have an update from LR. This would be to acknowledge whether or not LR are working on a software fix and some idea of timeframe.

I would concur with the fact that the problem seems climate dependent, although I do not have such accurate empirical data as Andy. I had the EGR replaced around Sept/Oct last year and whilst the problem wasn't totally resolved it was very much minimised. However it returned in Spring and has continued until now when again it is very much reduced, if not eliminated with the onset of the colder weather.

This problem really does reduce my enjoyment of the vehicle, and whilst perhaps you are not overly concerned about one potential customer, it will put me off purchasing another LR unless it is resolved.

Post #240284 6th Nov 2014 1:15 pm
23Skidoo

Hi Simon

Just to give you an update on mine,

My Freelander is in with the local dealer at the moment for another attempt to resolve this. I took my own telemetry showing the instantaneous loss of revs and recovery just before the change of gear (Autobox) into the dealership as I had a letter from JLR customer services trying to tell me that the dealer could not replicate the problem which I took exception to as I had the "Master Technician" in the car when he acknowledged the fault.

Anyway, ther is still no positive news from JLR themselves about any software fix and I am not sure that there ever will be.

The Dealer is presently replacing the Turbo (as authorised by JLR). I am not totally convinced that this will fix the problem and as with your car, as the ambient temperature is dropping into single figures the symptoms will decrease so I may not be able to confirm that the problem is solved until spring.

I am very dissapointed with the response of JLR, despite a number of requests for their customer complaint procedure I am fobbed off and told to write to them. this effectively blocks me from any escalation of the issue within JLR themselves.

I do beleive that the dealership is fighting my corner and I also believe that there are a number of disgruntled owners out there that have the same issue.

There is another forum where a couple of owners have stated that they are negotiating to have JLR buy back the vehicles.

I'll give an update when I get mine back but will be writing to JLR to state that I reserve the right to go back in the spring if the symptoms disappear only to return next spring.

I hope that you have more luck than me, keep me posted on how you get on

Regards

Andy

Post #240293 6th Nov 2014 3:43 pm
SimonB

Andy, thanks for the detailed update.

Mine went back in for 3 days earlier in the year when the problem was reproducing regularly. Was told that they were unable to reproduce the problem, even though they had all the symptoms and details of ways to encourage it to reproduce from my earlier investigation.

Stupidly I didn't note the mileage when it went in to see how much effort they actually made. Of course though, pretty much as soon as I pulled out of the dealership it reproduced, and then repeatedly on the way home, as per normal.

If I wasn't forced to collect the vehicle around the time that they close I would have turned around. They did apparently update some software and said suck it and see and if it happens again book it back in and we'll send you out with the technician.

I was so disappointed with the service that I somewhat resigned myself to living with the problem, until I saw your experience and the possible promise of a solution, but you sound like you've hit a brick wall.

I'll be interested to see how you get on, but likely now as you say we'll have to wait until Spring. I was driving this morning, wondering why it felt so nice to drive, and of course it was simply that the problem wasn't there.

Post #240298 6th Nov 2014 4:44 pm
23Skidoo

Simon,

One suggestion I have for you is to connect an OBDII diagnostic interface to the car and record the engine revs while the hesitation happens. it's important to get a decent software programme that will record the data with enough resolution.

You can then use this as to demonstrate that the problem exists you will see something like the photo below note the dip in revs just before the peak, this is the hesitation. even better if it was possible to record Turbo Boost and EGR position simultaneously.

Click image to enlarge

Post #240299 6th Nov 2014 5:50 pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi All

Thanks for your posts regarding this concern.

I can confirm that a communication has just been released to our retailer network in relation to the concern on a number of affected vehicles, dependent on VIN range.

May I suggest contacting your local authorised Land Rover retailer who should be able to carry out the necessary update to your vehicle.

However, should you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to PM me and I will be happy to help.

Regards

Ryan Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Last edited by CRC@LandRover on 14th Nov 2014 4:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #240364 7th Nov 2014 12:57 pm
dorsetfreelander

Is there some kind of reference number that I can quote when I approach the dealer to check if my car is affected by this software update? I have had the car in a few times with the hesitation issue. Thanks.

Post #240415 7th Nov 2014 11:53 pm
D-Man

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Is there some kind of reference number that I can quote when I approach the dealer to check if my car is affected by this software update? I have had the car in a few times with the hesitation issue. Thanks.

.....and can anyone give us the VIN range(s) it applies to? 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #240439 8th Nov 2014 11:07 am
Cannonball

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Ditto that. VIN range would be helpful as well as software update reference number. Often get fobbed off by dealer stating that there has not been an update when reporting an issue. I have also reported this problem a couple of times, would like to have something to point them in the right direction!

Post #240647 10th Nov 2014 7:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 25 123 ... 232425>