« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Hesitating before changing gear (auto), then a sucking noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
steve t

United Kingdom 

Hi.
I had / have the same thing. After a lot of investigation it was found and explained to me as the turbo dropping pressure out of the waist gate to compensate for oil pressure levels in the gear box at the given revs (1800/2000)
The reason it only does it at each side of 2nd is because all the lower gear have a clutch lock system in place due to the different level of torque in high to low gears.

I don't recall all the details in full but that's the basics of it.

If you still feel you would like to put your mind at rest a bit more, Find a nice steep hill with no traffic and park up then with the hand brake on solid put it in drive and build up the revs as much as you can without moving to load the power up then drop the revs, You will then hear the turbo drop power via the waist gate which is the very same sound you hear at each side of 2nd gear.

Hope that helps

Post #220012 20th Mar 2014 4:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

that a good explanation, and sounds exactly what is happening under normal driving, but the sudden increase in noise level of this sound is either saying something amiss or broken, maybe the waist gate Idea

Post #220013 20th Mar 2014 4:56 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

Its the ECU telling the turbo to drop the power/torque from the engine to try give the smoothest gear change at the given rpm.
The example/explanation I remember was, If you were driving a manual you would drop the revs and dip the clutch to change gear, As I understood it in layman's terms this is basically what the ECU is doing if and when needed at the given rpm

what I also found is once I heard the noise I found myself trying to make it do it so I could listen too it to try work out what it was but in doing so all I was doing is training the gearbox to do it so it did it even more.

Once I had my mind put at rest I totally shut off from it and now its not very often at all it happens but yes its still there and I feel always will be.

Post #220016 20th Mar 2014 6:14 pm
alex_pescaru

steve t wrote:
....turbo dropping pressure out of the waist gate....

npinks wrote:
....maybe the waist gate....

No wastegate on FL2 turbo...
It's a Variable Geometry Turbocharger ( http://turbo.honeywell.com/our-technologies/vnt-turbochargers/ ).

Post #220026 20th Mar 2014 8:23 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I don't get the 'training the gearbox' bit. Can someone explain it to me please?

Does it have some kind of working memory fitted to it that can be trained? Maybe I need to floor mine to double kickdown in 'Sport' more often? Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #220028 20th Mar 2014 8:33 pm
alex_pescaru

It's an adaptive transmission.

It is an electronically controlled automatic transmission that continuously selects from a range of shift strategies to match the driver's needs and driving style.
During sporty driving, the transmission holds the lower gears longer to keep the engine in its most powerful range. It also shifts down more quickly in response to gas pedal movement for maximum acceleration.
When the transmission is driven for the best fuel economy, it shifts to the highest gears as soon as practical and maintains higher gears longer.
The control unit gathers information from speed and load sensors, throttle pedal actuation and the engine control module. Because it continuously monitors these conditions, the transmission is able to respond to any change in driving style with an appropriate shift strategy.

The informations the text is talking about in the end are indeed stored in an internal memory.
They can also be cleared with the proper equipment, a somewhat "box reset".

Post #220031 20th Mar 2014 8:50 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

Ok maybe the wrong terminology for the new turbo so in your words Alex

Finally... Someone that says the same...
I kept tell you that the grinding noise is a specific noise of the intake stream, specifically turbo and not to worry.
On the Russian forum someone has listened with a remote "stethoscope" and indeed the sound was from turbo.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/post187480.html#187480

As for the rough changes, when you go to the dealer, tell them to reset the box's learned data (both pre-adaptions and adaptions) and then to perform the initial relearn. If it does the same, verify the oil level. Rough changes could be given by a low oil level and generally are less pronounced after the box is warmed up.

I copied a bit more as it may help the thread along a bit Thumbs Up

Post #220034 20th Mar 2014 8:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Today my car is making the same noise, but I'm sure I'm occasionally seeing black smoke out the back Confused

Post #220093 21st Mar 2014 3:37 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Confused EML lite up today

Code are P0299 turbo charger underboost

Have a clue what that means or if safe to drive

Post #220146 22nd Mar 2014 11:29 am
alex_pescaru

It's safe to drive. You will occasionally get some black smoke.

Your variable geometry may be stuck or you may have some problems with the turbo arm.
Get the car on a ramp and see if the turbo arm/variable geometry is moving easily.

See below, a picture taken from under my car, red arrow pointing turbo's arm that drives/moves the variable geometry.

Post #220147 22nd Mar 2014 11:38 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cheers Alex

Won't be using it today and tomorrow so will call LRA on Monday for them to see, if they say it's ok I only have to wait till Thursday when it's booked in, if not loan car will be provided

Post #220150 22nd Mar 2014 12:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Haven't used the car all weekend but this morning I decided to call LRA out

He found the same fault code and had a look round the engine bay, he found a split in a rubber hose for the EGR valve

So he has removed it and wrapping it with tape and clips till as a temp fix till Thursday when LR Leeds Central have my car book

Post #220300 24th Mar 2014 10:20 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

apparently, my LRA tech doesn't know his EGR from his Turbo Rolling Eyes

I have just got back from popping in to my dealers to show them the part that they need to order, thought this might save time as i was passing.

Tech comes out and i point at the split pipe and he tells me is a turbo ***** pipe, i told him the LRA tech told me EGR pipe, to which he replied whilst he knew it was a pipe, the EGR is at the rear of the engine not the front Laughing

LRA the clown emergency service Rolling with laughter Shocked

Post #220325 24th Mar 2014 2:16 pm
Kingston_dan

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I have been having what I think are the same issues. I had the gear changing noise for the last year, sometimes worse than others but I have been learning to ignore it!
Last week the engine management light came on so I booked it into my local garage to have a look but I had to wait over the bank holiday weekend. Over the weekend the noise got worse and the gear changes started to get a bit rough and more sluggish.
The garage had a look on Tuesday and got the p0299 turbo under boost code. The guy suggested either the turbo was done or the MAP sensor needed replacing. I had the MAP sensor replaced this morning and so far the error code has not come back and the gear noise has reduced (but still louder than it first was) and gear changes have improved quite a bit but still not how they originally were.
I'm going to run with it for a little bit whilst there are no warning lights and see if it gets worse again or improves (wishful thinking).

Post #222912 23rd Apr 2014 9:48 pm
alanm

South Africa 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Ipanema Sand

Hi everyone
I have the same problem with my 2011 Freelander2 SD4 auto. Sometimes a severe hesitation at 1800 rpm before the gear change between 2nd and 3rd. This usually takes place when pulling off at a robot on a slight incline or accelerating after a speed hump. The hesitation is accompanied by the sound similar to 2 disks rubbing together, described here as the waste gate dumping turbo pressure.
The car has been at various garages including Landrover without success. The software has been updated twice and the turbo checked.
Has anyone managed to solve this problem or had any joy with Landrover? My local branch have no idea.
I also can't believe that this is normal. I drive clients in my car all day and the problem is both irritating and embarrassing.

Post #224373 10th May 2014 3:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>