« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Hesitating before changing gear (auto), then a sucking noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Hi Ralph

Turned off the CD player. There are no noises coming from the gearbox when used gently or hard even when towing. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #187479 12th Jun 2013 10:19 pm
alex_pescaru

There are extensive discussions on the Russian forum about this noise and it seems that it comes from the turbo and not from the gearbox. Someone listened in the engine bay with a remote sound recorder.
The explanation was that there is a surge phenomena when the RPM drops between gear changes. And of course is more pronounced in the lower gears because of the RPM/time/pressure relationship.

Post #187480 12th Jun 2013 10:52 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi Alex! I am sorry but based on your comments is the phenomena a fault or not? Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #187482 12th Jun 2013 10:57 pm
alex_pescaru

In my opinion, it's not a fault... Maybe a little glitch in the ECU firmware.
I have the sound from day one, more intense or not depending on conditions.
And as a certainty that it is from turbo, I've observed that when at altitudes of 6000+ feet the sound is much more pronounced. If it was from gearbox, it should be the same at any altitude. But because at high altitudes the air is less dense, it makes sense that the sound is much louder when it comes from turbo...

http://lr-club.com/index.php?showtopic=901...try1347866

Post #187494 13th Jun 2013 8:38 am
Ralphk

Alex, the link is in Russian and beyond me I am afraid. I would like to hear the noise but I can't make top nor tail of where I am to press. sorry Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #196253 24th Aug 2013 6:48 am
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I can't remember if this is now the third or fourth time my car has been in to get this noise looked at. It went in last Monday morning and I was warned that if after inspecting it was found to be a non-warranty item, that I would have to pay for the labour charges of around £200. I mentioned that this fault existed before I bought the car from them and that I was simply brining it to their attention again but didn't get any response.

Our agreement (all mutual and with no animosity) was/is that if this was found to not be covered by the LR 12mth warranty, that they would not proceed with any work before contacting me. It's Sunday, I haven't heard a word from them about my car so i'm assuming that they're going to replace whatever it is that's causing the noise. Could be a bearing, could be gearbox but whatever it is, i'm really grateful to Caffyns of Lewes for being so very professional about this whole thing. From start to finish they have been nothing short of excellent.

Thumbs Up Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #198449 8th Sep 2013 3:27 pm
Ralphk

Hi guys!
I have had the car into Hereford Landrover ( now Listers Landrover) and despite over two days and replacing the filter and oil in the Haldex they cannot find what is wrong. Their technician worked really hard and whilst he heard the noise and has come up with a couple of suggestion, the most likely he feels is the EGR valve, he cannot categorically say that it is the problem. The cost of replacing the EGR is over £440 and would not like to change it if it turned out to not be the problem. It looks like I will have to put up with it for awhile as every time I have something done it costs an arm and a leg so I have to be a little careful on how bothered I can afford to be! Ralph

Post #198466 8th Sep 2013 4:31 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I believe LRUK should have the facility to intervene in situations where an issue is not immediately obvious. Yes an extended warranty covers many issues but my car, for example, must have cost their warranty dept (or however it works) an absolute fortune to sort out and even after having the car for another week, they haven't yet done so. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #198625 9th Sep 2013 7:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have what sounds to be this rattle/noise on mine which has only come on in the last day or so

when accelerating slowly, going from 1st to 2nd there is a louder than normal rattle, metal on metal sound

no loss of power or jump in the revs, wondering what it could be Confused

Post #219987 20th Mar 2014 12:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

further listening, its sounding like a rushing of air, towards the upper end of the revs in first, then becomes a rasping sound in second, quite loud and audible with the windows down

but hard to catch it on a recording with the wind noise

if this works, about 10-12 seconds there is a sh shh shhh noise, it this, that i have and have had since new, but its now very loud and happens longer

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb3opdnijja8g8k/New%20Recording.m4a

Post #219997 20th Mar 2014 2:57 pm
LOLER

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

I have exactly the same problem. It does not happen when cold but usually happens after it has been standing when it is warm. It only does it occasionally between first and second gear but is quite noticeable.

Chris

Post #220004 20th Mar 2014 4:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

at least im not alone Laughing

it loud enough to make pedestrians look behind them, when im driving, i can't hear it under load, it just 1,2 and possibly 3rd gear.

i'll give the dealers a call and get it booked in, hopefully it will play along and make the noise when there Rolling Eyes

Post #220006 20th Mar 2014 5:25 pm
cornerstone-100

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

I have experienced the same noise on rare occasions. It sounds like a turbo dump valve. I find it happens more when I "feather the throttle" no drop in performance. Took it to a local garage but I couldn't' get the car to replicate the noise. ................................................................................................................................
25th January 2014 until Now ...... 2008 HSE Auto. Rimini Red
1st December 2013 Now Gone..... 2008 HSE Auto Baltic Blue. .........Lasted 28 days (but that's another story)
................................................................................................................................

Post #220007 20th Mar 2014 5:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i though originally that it might have been a dump valve, as my Fl2 did it when new, but the technician said it was perfectly normal.

Now it appears that its the same noise, but instead of been one dump, its various dumps, working up to a rattle

originally thought it might have been turbo related as i didn't get the normal noise after having a new turbo, then a turbo manifold, for a short time after, or a pipe split and it vibrating open and shut at lower revs

who know, i don't and im just guessing, so hopefully the approved warranty will pick up the tab

edit: booked it in with the dealer, so hopefully, it might be sorted this time next week

Last edited by npinks on 20th Mar 2014 5:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #220010 20th Mar 2014 5:37 pm
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As I said in my post of 5 June "I get it too, but only at very light throttle openings - it is totally quiet when under load. The gear changes themselves are always fine so whatever it is doesn't affect operation.

I would describe as sounding like two metal discs spinning/slipping against each other."

It still does it, perhaps more often and slightly louder than it used to, and paranoia suggests it is some sort of brake band in the box having worn away leaving metal against metal.

In the absence of any positive identification of the cause and any cure I am trying to ignore it!

Pete 2007 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #220011 20th Mar 2014 5:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>