« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Hesitating before changing gear (auto), then a sucking noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Hesitating before changing gear (auto), then a sucking noise

My FL2 has started to make an intermittent sucking noise (sounds like a split vacuum pipe) when it changes up from 1st-2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The closest I could explain it as being, is like a smaller version of a boy-racer's turbo dump.

Before this noise started, for about a week it was sort of backing off before changing up in the gears. It felt like although I had my foot down, that it was choking or holding back slightly.

It's going in to Caffyns Lewes on the 3rd but before I hand it over, I would like to ask if anyone might be able to tell me more about what they think it could be.

Many thanks. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #185131 23rd May 2013 9:32 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

This is the sound that I and others get as well. You will find my comments on this and Taztastic response when I brought it up again the other day. Perhaps it might be something which Liam's successor might like to ask his technical guys at Landrover about as there are quite a few of us who have the same noise etc. with our auto boxes. Over to you Landrover man! Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #185175 24th May 2013 9:06 am
kimosabe

UPDATE:

The vehicle was checked into the LR workshop at 9am this morning and the various faults are being looked at. I will post the outcome in this thread. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #186302 3rd Jun 2013 5:19 pm
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I get it too, but only at very light throttle openings - it is totally quiet when under load. The gear changes themselves are always fine so whatever it is doesn't affect operation.

I would describe as sounding like two metal discs spinning/slipping against each other.

It will be interesting to see what they say.

Pete

Post #186553 5th Jun 2013 2:15 pm
Dave C

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Hi Pete

mine sounds just like yours Ok when pulling hard but when pulling away steady makes the same noise car as only covered 38.000

Dave

Post #186610 5th Jun 2013 8:05 pm
Ralphk

I did send a pm to Mike at Landrover about the noise etc. and he states that Landrover are not aware of Any issues and do not recognise the noise. Lets see what Kimosabe comes back with Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #186625 5th Jun 2013 8:42 pm
kimosabe

A warranty assessor is going to check what is wrong with the car tomorrow (Thurs) and will decide if the faults are covered by warranty or not.

Three faults:
- window motor making a noise when used.
- winding noise which sounds like a faulty bearing coming from behind the dash when the car is moving.
- sucking/ grinding noise when changing up at lower speeds.

My main issue is that I bought the car at the end of January this year and it has an extra 12 months of LR extended warranty. I reported the noises it was making about a week after I bought it, booked the car in for a check, went out for a drive with a service tech who didn't know the cause and who said that if it either persisted to the point of irritation or got any worse, that I should bring the car back to have it checked in the workshop. It would take a feat of legal genius to argue that whatever is causing the noises are not covered by warranty, when the noises were reported to LR about a week after buying the car.

I hope that LR are willing to accept that the work required to rectify the faults were not either caused by me or that they are my responsibility to resolve, because that would be very bad for LRs reputation and their legal team will be kept busy until the matter is resolved.

I will post everything here as I find out more because when I was doing my research into looking at the reputations of dealership and how they manage issues, it was easy to find info about some dealerships and to avoid them. So i'm helping LR to improve, helping existing and potential new buyers to find out more about how LR manage issues and sharing the whole experience as it happens with anyone who wants to read about it.

Balanced testimonials make all the difference! Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #186629 5th Jun 2013 9:13 pm
kimosabe

Covered by LR extended warranty

UPDATE: Praise where it's due, I'm covered by the LR warranty. I will post more once I have driven the car.

2009 (59), FL2 HSE, about 40,000miles, purchased as used approved in January 2013.

EGR cooling fan
Accelerator pedal
Accelerator assembly (I presume this includes everything from and including the accelerator cable onwards)
Throttle body
Window motor
All associated parts and labour (about a day's work) Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #186779 7th Jun 2013 9:50 am
kimosabe

UPDATE:

Having driven the car for two days, I was forced to call LR Assistance this morning. They arrived within an hour (second call to them in the 5 months i have owned the car). The fault was diagnosed as the lead to the negative battery terminal had not been clamped to the terminal on the battery properly.

With regard to the warranty work, the two noises I reported have almost disappeared. I will report this to my dealership tomorrow, just so it has been recorded should there be any future issues.

Unless anything else happens, this will be the final update. If you have any questions, please PM me. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #187276 11th Jun 2013 4:19 pm
Ralphk

Kimosabe, has the sucking sound been cured or is it still there? Ralph

Post #187303 11th Jun 2013 6:37 pm
kimosabe

Ralphk wrote:
Kimosabe, has the sucking sound been cured or is it still there?

It is still there but it is now very very occasional and slight by comparison. You'd have to know what to listen for. What's your car doing?

I don't have a complete breakdown of the warranty work but I know that a new throttle body (and associated parts) were replaced. I think this could have been where the fault was. I don't know if there is a gasket between the unit and the engine which could blow or if it was something else which was incidentally fixed but both noises I reported are now almost totally gone.

Can fault the staff at Caffyns, Lewes. Thumbs Up Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #187320 11th Jun 2013 8:32 pm
Ralphk

I have detailed my issues on another thread but your experience does lead me to believe that the original explanation I was given by my local dealer may have been a fob off.
It seems to be a auto only issue and occurs when the auto box is trying to sort out between first and second ratios, either when coming to a halt and preparing to start off again or in the shift between first and second if the throttle is not depressed moderately or purposefully. It is as though there is a catching up between the ratios and manifests itself as a sucking or harsh overrun sound which, frankly, is embarrassing if others are in the car. It does not occur in the higher ratios when either slowing down or the box is changing up.
I cannot now believe that the sound is "OK" as the people at my dealers have said as I would not pay a premium price for a car that made this kind of noise.
As I have said before I have sent a pm to Mike @ Landrover on this site and, surprise, surprise Landrover personnel have no knowledge of this issue..
I am close to going back to my dealer but as the car is now 4 years + old it will probable cost serious money if there is now decided there is a fault, even though I first brought it to their attention 3 years ago. Ralph

Post #187332 11th Jun 2013 11:08 pm
kimosabe

Ralph, If I were in your position, I would be looking for an independent second opinion. I think the AA offer something like this and also give a detailed breakdown of the faults they discover but i'm not sure that they would detect issues with a throttle housing. There may be other reputable organisations out there who also offer a full mechanical check over and there may even be a motor services ombudsman who will help both sides to figure out what's going on if the matter is still unresolved. I feel certain that if I took my car back, that the staff who I have dealt with so far would be only happy to help me to sort it out.

It might be worth giving whoever it was you contacted at LRUK another shot, because it could only be in their interests to get this matter resolved.

Something I would advise, even if i'm not always capable of doing it myself, is that you try really hard to remove emotion from this. I say this mainly because it is more useful for whoever you are dealing with to hear the raw facts of the matter rather than to have to sift out what they need to know from what they're hearing.

Make a concise list of exactly what you believe is wrong, what you would like to happen and stick to it. It may help you to be able to provide relevant dates, names and conversations too.

Nobody should have to haggle with main dealers if there is a genuine issue to resolve and if you still feel you are not being heard, stop haggling with them and raise the stakes, while also mentioning that you are doing so because you refuse to be fobbed off. If your car is making a noise it shouldn't be (do all Freelander 2's make this noise?) then there is something not quite right with it and just because LRUK haven't issued a mass recall to sort it out, doesn't mean that it's not an issue.

I think this is one of the most valuable reasons for why Forums such as this exist, so please keep posting your progress for all to see because if there really is an issue and LRUK aren't effectively dealing with it, going semi-public is one way potential customers can gauge whether or not they want to spend £15-40 grand on a Landrover. This is the bottom line and although my experience of Caffyns has been positive, I am in no doubt that this is not the case for other dealerships.

Get a second opinion. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #187371 12th Jun 2013 1:36 pm
Ralphk

Thank you for your super response and of course you are right. I will speak to Herford Landrover, my supplying dealer, and see what response I get. After that I will try another dealer.
I will keep the forum up date with my progress obviously. It would be helpful to me if other members with auto boxes could confirm if they have a similar condition or not! Ralph

Post #187414 12th Jun 2013 6:30 pm
EYorkshire

Hi Ralph, I have absolutely no sounds, noises or anything else associated with the auto box like you describe. First to second and vice versa is always seamless and behaves/sounds as it should albeit first has a slight whine, hope you get it sorted Thumbs Up

Post #187430 12th Jun 2013 7:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>