« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > one for the caravaners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
smudger53

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
one for the caravaners

Hi all .Just had a Witter demountable tow bar fitted. And this weekend we are off to look for a caravan.The one we are looking to get is a Bailey pagaent Burgandy. We don't know much about the weight and length of this van. All i need to know is will my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 2.2 Tow this model ok? I've been told by a couple of people that most twin axle vans are too heavy for my freelander???
Also if any members are selling their Bailey pagaent Burgandy we may well be interested. We are looking for one aged aprox up to 5 years and newer.
Ta very muchly...Dave and Di my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #160270 8th Nov 2012 11:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

i would think it would be all ok

according to towcar.info website (just make sure i selected the right caravan though)

Quote:
Landrover Freelander II - 2.2 TD4 (118 kW/158 bhp)
Date of manufacture: january 2007 - up to now. Towball limit: 150 kg (Advise: 80 kg)
Important for safe towing is the weight ratio between Car and Caravan. The weight ratio (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) for the Landrover and Bailey is 73%. This means that the match between car and caravan is perfect. The stability and safety index is good for this outfit.

The towing performances of this Landrover with your Bailey are perfect (performance index = 65).
You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, top gear is applicable under normal circumstances.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

Post #160271 8th Nov 2012 11:11 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

A quick Google suggests that the Burgundy is a single-axle van with a laden weight of 1400kg? If so it's well within the Freelander's 2000kg towing limit.

Post #160273 8th Nov 2012 11:18 am
smudger53

Re: one for the caravaners

Blimey how good is all that info.The wonders of the internet eh.Thanks very much for your help. my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Last edited by smudger53 on 8th Nov 2012 6:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #160276 8th Nov 2012 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TrevorB

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

You should have no problem towing the Burgundy Series 7 at 1445kg. I have the Bordeaux Series 7 model (bought Ocober 2009) that weighs slightly less at 1321kg and it tows easily. Caravan sits nice and level and having the noseweight around the 100kg region the van stays real stable.

I get around 26.5mpg towing with the automatic TD4 2.2 Diesel and I don't think that is too bad.

Good luck finding the van you want. I am selling my Bordeaux next spring (best time of the year for private sales) as the wife is less mobile now so if you don't find what you want and think a Bordeaux might suit you then feel free to PM me.

Post #160306 8th Nov 2012 3:30 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

such a heavy monstrosity will fry the clutch as well at the patience of poor innocent fellow road users At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #160309 8th Nov 2012 3:41 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Didn't think it would be long before he came along! Smile John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #160315 8th Nov 2012 4:43 pm
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

chicken george wrote:
such a heavy monstrosity will fry the clutch as well at the patience of poor innocent fellow road users

CG the title of this thread is "One for the caravaners" so why do you think you have the right to spoil the quality of the replies?

Stick to farming - I hope you know more about that than you do about caravaning.

Post #160318 8th Nov 2012 5:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

its partly factual that van is too big for a manual fl2, I would have genuine concerns about the clutch At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #160319 8th Nov 2012 5:43 pm
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

chicken george wrote:
its partly factual that van is too big for a manual fl2, I would have genuine concerns about the clutch

What's the official difference in towing weight between the auto and manual?

Also, the clutch DMF has been known to be a problem, but on many brands not just LR, yet loads of manuals tow quite happily if you do it properly and don't try hill starts on Hardknot Pass or reversing up steep hills.

BUT the Auto is better and would pull this van with no problems at all-but so will the manual

PS Went to Norwich today up the A140 - spent most of my time following a b.....dy mate of yours towing a trailer full of carrots.

Post #160320 8th Nov 2012 5:55 pm
smudger53

Re: one for the caravaners

smudger53 wrote:
Blimey how good is all that info.The wonders of the internet eh.Thanks very much for your help.

Hi Thanks for the info. We would very much like to see pictures of your caravan,and a rough idea of how much you want for it. As we are able to wait for the right one to come along.
Dave. my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #160329 8th Nov 2012 6:30 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Ben Twillie wrote:
What's the official difference in towing weight between the auto and manual?

Only one figure quoted for both in the handbook, so it's the same.
Ben Twillie wrote:
BUT the Auto is better and would pull this van with no problems at all-but so will the manual

Is the auto better? The manual gets a lot of bad press from those with autos, and from those who have had DMF issues, but DMF aside the clutch seems to cope with no problem. And there are several reports of auto boxes going bang! So (and I speak as a manual owner happy with my choice!) I certainly wouldn't dismiss the manual as a good tow car, and it should tow the van you mention with no problems at all.
One thing I would say, though, is that the reverse gear on the manual is too high - significantly higher than first - so try to avoid situations where you have to reverse up hill with the van attached!

Post #160335 8th Nov 2012 6:38 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My Auto tows my twin axle no problem at all . Been up and down the Alps and the Pyrenees. Much prefer auto for towing and no problem with going down hill.

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #160345 8th Nov 2012 7:12 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Seem to be a few image problems on this thread. Have the chickens struck again CG?

Post #160351 8th Nov 2012 7:25 pm
TrevorB

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Hi Smudger53

I'll get the camera out over the next couple of days and get some pictures and details of the caravan, awnings and bits & peices to you by email.

Here is a link to the Bailey brochure and spec sheet for the Series 7 vans which should give you a heads-up on them :-

www.nscaravans.co.uk/pdf/pageant.pdf

TrevorB

Post #160355 8th Nov 2012 7:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>