Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > one for the caravaners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

85% of the Kerb Weight of Freelander 2 is 1547 kgs + the wife! Razz When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160496 9th Nov 2012 4:52 pm
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Going back to original question, I towed a Pageant Burgundy regularly with my SE Manual for about 2 years and had no problem whatsoever. Will agree that reversing is not ideal with the manual gearing ratio. I have been towing a slightly heavier Sterling Moonstone for nearly 2 years, which is a bit more than the Caravan Club guide of 85% kerb (!!) weight but find it very maneagable. Experience and common sense count for a lot when towing, plus trailer control systems don't seem to do any harm. However, I will be changing to an auto SD4 next year and blow the drop in economy.
Enjoy the Burgundy, I did and only changed it because Pressurewoman wanted an end bathroom. I was touring round the Cotswolds and up in the Peak District over the last couple of weeks and noticed a few FL2's pulling twin axle vans.

Post #160497 9th Nov 2012 5:14 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
its partly factual that van is too big for a manual fl2, I would have genuine concerns about the clutch

Complete bull. Sorry CG.

We have a Coachman Amara 520/4 which has a full laden weight of 1455kg's and the car doesn't even break intoa sweat.

But this van is going after Christmas. We have ordered a new Coachman Amara 580/5, which is being built in January.

This weighs 1575kg's, so well in on the weight side. We went to the caravan show a few weeks ago, and after having two Coachman vans, nothing else compared.

smudger53 wrote:
pab wrote:
Ben Twillie wrote:
What's the official difference in towing weight between the auto and manual?

Only one figure quoted for both in the handbook, so it's the same.
Ben Twillie wrote:
BUT the Auto is better and would pull this van with no problems at all-but so will the manual

Is the auto better? The manual gets a lot of bad press from those with autos, and from those who have had DMF issues, but DMF aside the clutch seems to cope with no problem. And there are several reports of auto boxes going bang! So (and I speak as a manual owner happy with my choice!) I certainly wouldn't dismiss the manual as a good tow car, and it should tow the van you mention with no problems at all.
One thing I would say, though, is that the reverse gear on the manual is too high - significantly higher than first - so try to avoid situations where you have to reverse up hill with the van attached!

Lovely looking van old geezer.And its a twin axle.And i guess its a freelander2 towing it.I was told by a caravan salesman that the freelander 2 was not heavy enough for a twin axle.
Dave

Depends on the Twin axle van. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #160895 13th Nov 2012 8:39 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mav71 wrote:
chicken george wrote:
its partly factual that van is too big for a manual fl2, I would have genuine concerns about the clutch

Complete bull. Sorry CG.

hows the new clutch bedding in Mav Whistle (dont get too attached to it , another one will surely follow)

its not complete bull at all, a twin axled van is at the limit of the fl2's towing ability so in my mind too big, big trailers of any kind need big towing vehicles, Expect the unexpected, oil on the road? tyre blow out?, van brake failure? extreme weather? who knows . oversize your towing vehicle its simple road safety At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #160897 13th Nov 2012 9:01 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
oversize your towing vehicle its simple road safety

I wish I had been able to stop and take a photo of the Police Discovery hanging from the towing eye of its large trailer which had overturned and blocked all three lanes of the M11 a couple of years ago. Whistle

Post #160904 13th Nov 2012 10:26 am
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
chicken george wrote:

Complete bull. Sorry CG.

hows the new clutch bedding in Mav Whistle (dont get too attached to it , another one will surely follow)

its not complete bull at all, a twin axled van is at the limit of the fl2's towing ability so in my mind too big, big trailers of any kind need big towing vehicles, Expect the unexpected, oil on the road? tyre blow out?, van brake failure? extreme weather? who knows . oversize your towing vehicle its simple road safety

The 580/5 is still a single axle van a 120 kgs heavier than is present van, hardly any difference Rolling Eyes

Post #160950 13th Nov 2012 6:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

120kg Shocked if you put that in a rucksack and took it for a jog your clutch would soon fail Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #160953 13th Nov 2012 7:02 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Mav
I had my van with all four wheels locked up solid and the abs flat out when two cars collided on a rain soaked auto route when i was doing about 85-90 and the van and car held perfect straight line no problem at all and once the two cars realised I was gaining on them at high speed my word they soon got out the way.

Outfit didn't deviate at all ! Thumbs Up

Post #160954 13th Nov 2012 7:33 pm
Mav71

chicken george wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
chicken george wrote:

Complete bull. Sorry CG.

its not complete bull at all, a twin axled van is at the limit of the fl2's towing ability so in my mind too big, big trailers of any kind need big towing vehicles, Expect the unexpected, oil on the road? tyre blow out?, van brake failure? extreme weather? who knows . oversize your towing vehicle its simple road safety

My clutch is fine thanks, even after 18 of it being done and with 190bnp and 345lb/ft! and it wasn't replaced due to towing either. My original DMF is also excellent thanks.

What I was getting at is that some twin axle vans are lighter than many single axle. So it was a bit of a sweeping statement you made. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 13th Nov 2012 8:46 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #160964 13th Nov 2012 8:42 pm
Mav71

oldgeezer wrote:
Mav
I had my van with all four wheels locked up solid and the abs flat out when two cars collided on a rain soaked auto route when i was doing about 85-90 and the van and car held perfect straight line no problem at all and once the two cars realised I was gaining on them at high speed my word they soon got out the way.

Outfit didn't deviate at all ! Thumbs Up

I am sure yours was fine, as I am sure you considered weight. My point to CG was not all twin axle vans are too big for FL2.

As mentioned on another post, some twin axle vans are actually lighter than the new one I have on order. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #160965 13th Nov 2012 8:44 pm
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
120kg Shocked if you put that in a rucksack and took it for a jog your clutch would soon fail Laughing

Are we talking clutch or crotch Question

Post #160970 13th Nov 2012 9:09 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Either way you would end up clutching your crotch! Very Happy John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #160971 13th Nov 2012 9:10 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

UKDEN wrote:
oldgeezer wrote:

We got talking and he said for towing with a 4x4 add the two total permitted axle weights and assured me thats what you can tow.

He was wrong. The police often are when it comes to towing matters. Sad

You can tow any mass that does not take your total train weight (weight of car + trailer) above the figure stated on the car "plate". At the same time you must not exceed the stated maximum permissible axle loading. This is relevent, because, with the car loaded its maximum permissible weight, you would possibly exceed the maximum rear axle loading if you have a high nose weight on the trailer (max permitted 150Kg).

For the FL2 the GTW (gross train weight) is 2000Kg more than the GVW (gross vehicle weight).

This means that you can (legally) tow 2000Kg when the FL2 is fully loaded.
You can (legally) tow more than 2000Kg if the FL2 is not fully loaded as long as you do not exceed the GTW stated on the car "plate".

However the fact that it is legal to tow such weights does not necessarilly make it advisable.

Oldgeezer is correct when he says that twin axle vans are (usually) more stable than single axle ones. You should therefore be able to tow a higher weight twin axle van with safety.

To return to my original point.

Does anyone know what the MASS IN SERVICE stated on the V5C means? Is it the unladen weight of the vehicle?
The kerb weight is supposed to be the unladen weight + 75 Kg (for driver).

Don't forget this only applies for drivers who passed their DSA test prior to 1997. Post 97, and a standard license holder must not drive an outfit exceeding 3.5 tonnes, and any trailer's MAM must not exceed the kerbweight of the tow vehicle. Regardless of quoted towing limits..

Post #176969 24th Mar 2013 1:13 am
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

In response to the question mass in service , I think that is when you have the vehicle fully loaded with people a gear, kerb weight is pretty much empty cept for fuel and driver, then add passengers, dog , suitcases and that figure is your mass in service. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #178937 6th Apr 2013 7:14 am
UKDEN

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

bambi68 wrote:
In response to the question mass in service , I think that is when you have the vehicle fully loaded with people a gear, kerb weight is pretty much empty cept for fuel and driver, then add passengers, dog , suitcases and that figure is your mass in service.

I think you are wrong on this one.

The weight when the car is fully loaded is 2505 Kg. As stated on the car "plate" and in the V5C under Section 4 (Y) " Revenue weight"

The "Mass in Service" is (only) 1967 Kg.

Still waiting for an answer on this one Sad Now: 2012 FL2 SD4 XS Orkney Grey
Previously: 2007 D3 TDV6 XS Tonga Green
Before that: 2003 FL1 TD4 "Kalahari" Black

Post #181058 20th Apr 2013 6:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>