Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > one for the caravaners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
smudger53

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

pab wrote:
Ben Twillie wrote:
What's the official difference in towing weight between the auto and manual?

Only one figure quoted for both in the handbook, so it's the same.
Ben Twillie wrote:
BUT the Auto is better and would pull this van with no problems at all-but so will the manual

Is the auto better? The manual gets a lot of bad press from those with autos, and from those who have had DMF issues, but DMF aside the clutch seems to cope with no problem. And there are several reports of auto boxes going bang! So (and I speak as a manual owner happy with my choice!) I certainly wouldn't dismiss the manual as a good tow car, and it should tow the van you mention with no problems at all.
One thing I would say, though, is that the reverse gear on the manual is too high - significantly higher than first - so try to avoid situations where you have to reverse up hill with the van attached!

Lovely looking van old geezer.And its a twin axle.And i guess its a freelander2 towing it.I was told by a caravan salesman that the freelander 2 was not heavy enough for a twin axle.
Dave my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #160400 8th Nov 2012 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
smudger53

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

TrevorB wrote:
Hi Smudger53

I'll get the camera out over the next couple of days and get some pictures and details of the caravan, awnings and bits & peices to you by email.

Here is a link to the Bailey brochure and spec sheet for the Series 7 vans which should give you a heads-up on them :-

www.nscaravans.co.uk/pdf/pageant.pdf

TrevorB

Evening Trevor.Yes please, send as many pics as you like please to ds9150@googlemail.com
Cheers Dave
PS my wife seems quite interested in more pics too. my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #160402 8th Nov 2012 10:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

nice van old geezer you got some inside shots Razz When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160415 9th Nov 2012 6:26 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Quote:
Lovely looking van old geezer.And its a twin axle.And i guess its a freelander2 towing it.I was told by a caravan salesman that the freelander 2 was not heavy enough for a twin axle.
Dave

Salesman didn't know what he was talking about. !

If you tow at 100% then you could tow 2000KG or 1700KG at 85% To be honest towing my van you really don't notice it on the back ! especially in Europe. I have done the Med to calais in 11.5 hrs towing , mostly sitting at 70-80mph sometime a touch more ! no problem and they are so much more stable than a single axle.
Cope with extreme heat towing in temps of 44+ no problem except for when the fan speed controller fails !

Post #160432 9th Nov 2012 8:17 am
oldgeezer

chrisdeeming

Just for you

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #160434 9th Nov 2012 8:26 am
UKDEN

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

smudger53 wrote:
I was told by a caravan salesman that the freelander 2 was not heavy enough for a twin axle.
Dave

Just how heavy is a FL2?

The V5C for my XS SD4 gives a MASS IN SERVICE of 1967 Kg. the quoted kerb weight (on the LR website) is considerably less (about 1805 Kg if my memory is correct).

What is MASS IN SERVICE? how does is relate to kerb weight?

PS I tow 1800 Kg of boat or 1600Kg of caravan (sadly not at the same time Laughing ) Now: 2012 FL2 SD4 XS Orkney Grey
Previously: 2007 D3 TDV6 XS Tonga Green
Before that: 2003 FL1 TD4 "Kalahari" Black

Last edited by UKDEN on 9th Nov 2012 10:02 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #160441 9th Nov 2012 9:15 am
oldgeezer

its about 1820KG

I was stopped once by motorway police and thought oh dear overweight but they were only stopping me to check to see if I owned what i was towing !
We got talking and he said for towing with a 4x4 add the two total permitted axle weights and assured me thats what you can tow.

Post #160445 9th Nov 2012 9:35 am
chrisdeeming

oooo its big!! I love having the ready made bed much less hassle! home from home Very Happy When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160448 9th Nov 2012 9:44 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i wouldn't discount the swift brand, I bought a Swift Challenger Sport 636 earlier this year and its a excellant caravan too, and light at 1650kg, but i have had it reweight plated to 1850 to give me more payload due to the twin motor mover

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #160453 9th Nov 2012 10:05 am
UKDEN

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

oldgeezer wrote:

We got talking and he said for towing with a 4x4 add the two total permitted axle weights and assured me thats what you can tow.

He was wrong. The police often are when it comes to towing matters. Sad

You can tow any mass that does not take your total train weight (weight of car + trailer) above the figure stated on the car "plate". At the same time you must not exceed the stated maximum permissible axle loading. This is relevent, because, with the car loaded its maximum permissible weight, you would possibly exceed the maximum rear axle loading if you have a high nose weight on the trailer (max permitted 150Kg).

For the FL2 the GTW (gross train weight) is 2000Kg more than the GVW (gross vehicle weight).

This means that you can (legally) tow 2000Kg when the FL2 is fully loaded.
You can (legally) tow more than 2000Kg if the FL2 is not fully loaded as long as you do not exceed the GTW stated on the car "plate".

However the fact that it is legal to tow such weights does not necessarilly make it advisable.

Oldgeezer is correct when he says that twin axle vans are (usually) more stable than single axle ones. You should therefore be able to tow a higher weight twin axle van with safety.

To return to my original point.

Does anyone know what the MASS IN SERVICE stated on the V5C means? Is it the unladen weight of the vehicle?
The kerb weight is supposed to be the unladen weight + 75 Kg (for driver). Now: 2012 FL2 SD4 XS Orkney Grey
Previously: 2007 D3 TDV6 XS Tonga Green
Before that: 2003 FL1 TD4 "Kalahari" Black

Post #160458 9th Nov 2012 10:33 am
chrisdeeming

its all abit confusing i think as long as your sensible and use your common sense it will be fine the car itself will pull 1800 easy! When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160483 9th Nov 2012 1:57 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

85% of the Kerb Weight of Freelander 2 is 1547 kgs. 85% is what the main caravan clubs recommend as a maximum to ensure the "tail wagging dog" syndrome doesn't cause the dreaded snaking. The Swift's MPTLM is about 100kgs over that so care is needed, especially on downhill bends. At 1890 kgs kerbweight legally the FL2's OK up to that (100% is OK in the eyes of the law) and it's still within LR's towing limit. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #160488 9th Nov 2012 3:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I don't think i have ever reached the maximum limits when loading the caravan, i say think as i have never weighed it once loaded. its also very stable in winds and i don't speed, steady away and i think the ALKO ATS system, stabalisers all work to give my 'van a stable tow

Post #160490 9th Nov 2012 3:19 pm
muddywheels

England 

Nice outfit Nick Bow down

That looks like York - are they any good - my dealer has let me down too many times so looking elsewhere Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #160491 9th Nov 2012 3:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

yes i thought they were good, but I went to them with the deal I wanted, and could get elsewhere, they matched it, then i bought my motor mover from Catterick at their event and York fitted it, even though I had told York i wanted one fitting without a discount and they had already fitted it, but I get on well with Catterick (the head office/branch)

When trading in my awning Catterick also won hands down, I actually got more that i paid for it 6 years previously and a larger discount on the isabella i bought, than York could do

The only issue I have with them is the service department is a bit Censored Bought in May, and still waiting for my motor mover warranty doc's and a call back to ask why my battery was going flat after a months storage

Post #160495 9th Nov 2012 3:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>